PDA

View Full Version : white truck/black film

Mark I
03-16-2015, 05:14 PM
new to this, but have 2006 toyota tundra, white. Never garaged but washed regularly, and waxed twice a year. Decided to do a good job on it, so I washed, dried, and got out the nanoskin fine sponge. Before starting I noticed that especially on the hood, there was like a blackish film. It did not come off in the wash. The nanoskin took alot of it off, but not all. Where it did come off, it all came off. Should the nanoskin have removed this? If not, will the polish with a da polisher do it? Is there something I am missing with the nanoskin? I used car soap and water as a lube. My next project is my daughters red mustang, so I want to be sure I have it right. tia

fly07sti
03-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Can you post a picture?

Mantilgh
03-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Hard to say what it is. Could be road film or some kind of fallout.

Here a nice read from Mike on white paint.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22982-lesson-white-paint-teaches-us.html

Breese147
03-16-2015, 11:45 PM
When it rains every so slightly that it brings up all the road grim i notice this film on my car.It is hard to get off. However one way that I found to get it off is to foam the car with a shampoo that doesn't have any carnubua or protective quality. Strictly a cleaning shampoo, from there I use the 2 bucket method with a sponge. You will start to see the oil on the top of your water in your buckets. I dump the water out half way through, rinse the bucket and start with fresh water and a rinsed out sponge and finish the car. I also once got a slighty yellow/brown film when I was waxing during pollen season and left my garage open so I could see and the pollen would blow and dry with the wax. When I removed it it had a slight brown/dark tint. I had to strip the wax off and close all the doors and shut off fans in the garage.