PDA

View Full Version : CM8802FN PTG - Has anyone been able to calibrate?

Derekb
03-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Hey guys.

Has any one actually been able to calibrate the CN8802FN paint thickness gauge. The "newer" version to the CM8801FN in the black plastic housing. I've not been able to do it with the instructions provided... I was PMing with another forum member earlier today and he had the same issues. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

SonOfOC
03-16-2015, 04:50 PM
What specific issue are you having?

Derekb
03-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Basically I will go to calibrate it and hit the "zero" button 3 times to make the gauge go to 0. I then put the plastic shim over the metal to calibrate it and it will read it as something way off usually so I have to use the +/- buttons to get it back down to what it reads on the shim. I get it what it says on the shim and then it won't let me save it. It just beeps when I get to the part to confirm it as correct by pressing zero and doesn't seem to actually take the calibration.

SonOfOC
03-16-2015, 06:42 PM
1) Make sure you remove the film from the calibration substrate.
2) Zero out the guage by measuring the substrate and then pressing zero.
3) Use the 3.9mil or 99 micron film over the calibration substrate.
4) Measure and adjust till you hit 99 microns, then press and hold the zero button.

5) Re measure a few times and the reading should be 99 microns.

Kappy
03-16-2015, 06:53 PM
I returned two of these gauges because I couldn't calibrate the first one or its replacement. If I was lucky enough to get a zero reading, the readings on the shims were way off and I never got the same reading twice. Then there was the problem with the middle digit missing in a three digit number. Quality control at its worst.

DANnissan240
03-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Had the same problem when i got mine... No matter how i tried to set it with a shim it was reading all over the place.. I was about to return it for a refund and hit the buttons so much my girlfriend was mad at me lol and finally boom! it calibrated just how it should work... It's been fine since never went back to uncalibrated. I believe that the reason is because there is more than 1 preset in the calibration. Try to find where is the wrong calibration and hit hold and hit + or - multiple times rapidly or hold and + or - at the same time. it's about how i resolved my problem. hope it help :buffing:

Derekb
03-16-2015, 08:19 PM
1) Make sure you remove the film from the calibration substrate.
2) Zero out the guage by measuring the substrate and then pressing zero.
3) Use the 3.9mil or 99 micron film over the calibration substrate.
4) Measure and adjust till you hit 99 microns, then press and hold the zero button.

5) Re measure a few times and the reading should be 99 microns.

Thanks for that. I tried this and it will not do anything when I hold the zero button. No beeps or anything. I was getting it perfect on the shims but then I tested on my vehicle and I was getting 3.4 all the way up to 47.6 so I don't think the unit working correctly from what I can see.

Derekb
03-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Had the same problem when i got mine... No matter how i tried to set it with a shim it was reading all over the place.. I was about to return it for a refund and hit the buttons so much my girlfriend was mad at me lol and finally boom! it calibrated just how it should work... It's been fine since never went back to uncalibrated. I believe that the reason is because there is more than 1 preset in the calibration. Try to find where is the wrong calibration and hit hold and hit + or - multiple times rapidly or hold and + or - at the same time. it's about how i resolved my problem. hope it help :buffing:

haha thanks. I tried that too. No luck at all. My girlfriend actually just took it away from me because she was getting sick of the button hitting and beeping sound for the last hour! :(

KMG
03-17-2015, 09:09 AM
I got one of these last year also and had the same problem. I learned my lesson and won't cheap out on buying a tool again.

zmcgovern45
03-18-2015, 09:28 AM
That is too bad... My CM8801FN worked great and was always reliable and easy to calibrate when needed.

Derekb
03-20-2015, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the replies and PMs guys! I'm still working on getting it calibrated correctly but it seems to be working okay for the most part... other than a few random readings when testing on the shims provided.

Thought this might be helpful to someone though, I spoke with the company I purchased the gauge from I was told by them that to do a factory reset on it to press and hold the "-" button until three 0s appear on the screen.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-20-2015, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the replies and PMs guys! I'm still working on getting it calibrated correctly but it seems to be working okay for the most part... other than a few random readings when testing on the shims provided.

Thought this might be helpful to someone though, I spoke with the company I purchased the gauge from I was told by them that to do a factory reset on it to press and hold the "-" button until three 0s appear on the screen.

Did it solve the issue?

Derekb
03-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Kinda..sorta solved it. I'm still getting some random measurements. It's weird because it was be dead on and then shoot up 10mils.. I'm thinking it's gotta be calibrated at this point but there's no way to know for sure because speaking with the manufacture there's no way to confirm or set the calibration, no confirmation beeps or sound. It's basically you got to just keep playing with it until it works lol