PDA

View Full Version : Plan of attack on my 2009 Honda Accord

DeansDetailing
03-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Hi Folks,

Been reading here a lot and learning. Wanted to post here and make sure I was on the right track.

I got a CP and a bunch of Wolfgang products (among others) including the Total Swirl Remover, Finishing Glaze and Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. I also got the DP headlight restoration kit.

My plan was to:

1) Wash w/ 2 bucket method
2) Iron X
3) Clay
4) Tape off glass and trim areas
5) Do a test spot starting with TSR White or Orange LC 5.5 pad. Then move to White pad for FG, then Red or Black for DGPS. I have White, Orange, Red and Black pads but plan to get a few more.
6) Hit headlights with DP headlight kit, though they are more scuffed then oxidized so I'm not sure.

My primary questions are...

Is the TSR enough based on the pics, or would it make more sense to use Uber Compound or 105 straight away. I don't have either but was going to get some Uber for another project anyway.

The headlights...I have seen a few mentions on forums regarding people using cutting compounds like 105/205 on headlights with good effect. Could I try WG FG on the headlights with a white pad or just stick with the DP headlight kit?

I have some deep scratches and don't expect miracles, just want to do the best I can. I really love the basque red color and hope to get it back to life. I bought the car used by a few years and am finally getting around to giving it some TLC.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips. It's my Bday next week and I want to "play" with all my cool stuff and make my car sparkle. :xyxthumbs:

Thanks in advance! Pics should follow below...

DeansDetailing
03-16-2015, 06:51 PM
TAP TAP

Is this thing on? Did I post in the wrong place? :-/

RWalleyTX
03-16-2015, 07:04 PM
What polisher are you using?

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2015, 07:08 PM
Hi Dean. Where are you located? Just curious.

I think you'll be fine with the TSR, use that on an orange pad, and finish up with the FG on the white. I think you'll be very happy with the results.

As far as the headlights, it looks like you may have some coating failure there on the top of the lens, fortunately it seems to have confined itself to the top, so you don't have a boundary between failed/good coating in the middle of the lens which sometimes happens, although my experience with Honda headlights is that the coating isn't that hard (some other brands when you get that line you have to sand it as the coating is very hard).

I'm not sure you need to use the DP kit (except maybe on that top flat portion of the lens). you can just try using the FG and white pad and see what that does for you. Headlights are kind of like your clearcoat, you don't want to remove too much of the factory UV coating unless you have to. The good thing with headlights is that you can polish and use a coating like DLux or Opti-Lens if the factory coating is gone.

trekkeruss
03-16-2015, 07:10 PM

I think he meant PC where he wrote CP.

DeansDetailing
03-16-2015, 07:14 PM

Porter Cable 7424xp

DeansDetailing
03-16-2015, 07:22 PM
Hi Dean. Where are you located? Just curious.

Virginia and Northern NC.

<snip of headlight suggestions>

Thank you, Sir!

RWalleyTX
03-16-2015, 07:52 PM
I usually start with the bad scratches that are too deep to correct with polisher first with touch up paint let it shrink re apply let it cure and level it with 2-3000 grit then I do the compounding I try to break it up because each step is going to take so much time to do it right first I would do wash then clay then uber then the next time u wash your car do total swirl remover then follow that with whatever you want to protect the paint with. Then the next time u wash after that move on to the wheels..the key is take your time on each step I tried to knock out too many steps in one day and found myself saying that's good enough too many times lol

Setec Astronomy
03-16-2015, 07:55 PM
I don't really see anything there in need of touchup paint.

RWalleyTX
03-16-2015, 09:32 PM
I meant if need be its hard to see detail in the pics

DeansDetailing
03-22-2015, 11:44 AM
So I did the wash, Iron X and some claying...

Due to the color of my car, I couldn't see any effects of the Iron X. However, upon rinsing off and wiping down the feel of the paint was MUCH smoother where I used Iron X! I was pleasantly surprised.

It had rained *a lot* over the last few weeks in the area. I have little options for shade. So, I had to park on the side of the house that gets the most shade. After rinsing the Iron X off I had to turn around so the other half of the car would be in the shade. Only, I didn't go anywhere. :-/

After feathering the throttle and going in R then D a couple times, I determined I was screwed. I got out and my tire was about 3-4inches into the soft clay ground. The tire was CAKED in clay soil. Tried rocks under the tire, digging, more rocks some cursing and hoping for general magic to occur. Ended up having to get a tow strap and using the pickup to pull me out.

What is funny is that this area has also gotten abnormal amounts of snow. More this season then the past 6yrs combined. My commute is 60mi each way. There is no plowing and limited sanding/salting in this town. I never got stuck in the snow!

Anyway, once out I cleaned the tires and waited for more shade. Yeah, an EZ UP is in my near future.

I washed the car again after the Iron X as there was some mud on it. Then I started claying with Wolfgang clay and clay lube.

I was again very impressed with Iron X as the clay did not pick up a lot of contaminants on the hood! It was getting dark so I called it a night.

A cold front with some rain moved in today. :(

Over the next few days I'll get to the polishing and interior. Waiting on a $372 order of mostly interior cleaning products to come in. May actually get the stuff on my Bday which is cool.

I have 4 people lined up for detailing jobs. Getting my stuff together to start a small mobile business on a shoe string budget.

I decided I'm going to finish my car in 1/3rds

Meaning the passenger side will be done with an AIO (undecided...suggestions?), the middle will be left as-is swirls and all (just wax Collinite 845) and the drivers side will be a full correction with Wolfgang products. That will clearly highlight the differences on service selection for customers. I believe it will also get attention wherever parked. Working on logo, business cards and car magnets this week.

Yeah, I'm diving in head first. :)

After pics to follow sometime this week!