PDA

View Full Version : Approach to detailing outside vs. shelter garage area

Rod73
03-14-2015, 01:14 PM
Hi I'm curious about you guys would approach a detailing project that may or may not involve paint correction out in the open outside vs being in a sheltered or garaged area away from nature and high traffic etc.

I felt like this one was quality topic to start a discussion not even just for me. I've noticed it has been brought up in depth a lot.

Paul A.
03-14-2015, 01:36 PM
There are 2 things i never work in, direct sun and wind. Except for a wash of course.

VR8
03-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Temperature and humidity variations are constantly changing in a garage. Multiply that by 10 for outdoor work, then add in pollen, bugs, wind carried debris, ... If no garage can be found, then consider as large of a canopy as you can afford. Preferably one with side panels. And wait until the desired time of year for the proper temperature. Not an easy task.

goldenlight
03-14-2015, 03:27 PM
YOu definately want to do it before the pollen comes out.. one side of the conopy so you can control sun.

Docpeanut
03-14-2015, 05:58 PM
I detail in the sun, just make sure your products are sun safe. HD polish is safe

crash93ssei
03-14-2015, 08:11 PM
I have detailed outside for several years, Menzerna and HD products work good, just have to be careful. I like working in the sunlight as you really get a good look at your work, but at the same time it makes it much more tedious as you really have to be careful of heat. Work smaller areas, keep it as cool as you can, wipe off your residue right away. You may find some products dust more in the direct sun light though, so that may be a problem.

goldenlight
03-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Just make sure the surface is cool to the touch and you will be fine. Start on the flat surfaces then work yourself to the sides and you will be good.

duffthebluff
03-15-2015, 06:03 PM
There are products out in the market that are "sun safe", just make sure you use those products. But I'd definitely recommend doing it inside your garage if you can. :)

Rod73
03-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Thanks everyone! It's great to pick up little tid bits just to prepare in advance for different scenarios whether it's my baby or someone else's car. Plus I'm looking at practicing paint correction old beat up cars and scrap parts, so a suitable shelter might not be available.

I did upon looking at you guys' advice purchase some 'Poorboys Pro Polish 2' to supplement my Menzerna collection.

I've gotten way to addicted to detailing the past 15 months haha