PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Wash and Wax

rustynail21
03-13-2015, 08:28 PM
Hi All;

I'm a long time auto geek lurker, first time poster. I've got a porter cable and I love my colonite 915 on my dark blue 2005 X5. First time I polished it by hand, but used ONR while it was borderline to dirty and it scratched to all heck. I blamed myself, got the porter cable for xmas and went to work. Compounded, polished and waxed it over a week (had no idea BMW paint was that hard). She looked stunning.

We have a beautiful day today so I used the hose to wash her down to the point where it was just that film left on the car, then used the ONR WW. Was very careful, doing half a panel, flipping and doing the other half. Lots of rinse water and a grit guard in my rinse bucket. I used so much water I had to reload and use another 2 gallons of water / soap.

I start from the top and work my way down, making sure the lower panels are last. As I finished I look at the reflection in the sun and this is what I see. Yup, after all that compounding and polishing I see scratches as far as the eye can see. Not deep, but visible. I'm at a loss. I've tried two different mitts, one of those green microfibre guys, one 'sheepskin fleece' mitt. Any ideas on what I'm missing??

aim4squirrels
03-13-2015, 08:59 PM
What pads, compound, and polish were used? I ask because it's possible the polish or compound contained oils that filled in the scratches and they weren't visible until the first time you washed them away.

Please also provide a detailed description of your wash procedure with all products used, the manner in which you use them, and the technique you wash the vehicle with.

rustynail21
03-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the help! Used Rupes white pad for some, most was done using Lake Country White Pad. Ultimate Compound first, Ultimate Polish on a green pad next. Wrapped up using Collinite 915. Used Halogen lights at all steps (especially before the polish).

Washed the car a few days ago at the wand wash, hosed it off today with decent pressure. Top panels were pretty damn clean, lower panels had a film on it, but that was it. Started top down with the fleece mitt. Half a panel, flip the mitt over and make a second pass on the same half. Rinse in rinse bucket with grit guard and rinse it out the best I could. Back in the soap and finish the panel. Once the panel was fully cleaned I'd use the fluffy cookie monster style microfibre cloth folded in 1/4s to wipe it down and dry it.

SonOfOC
03-13-2015, 10:31 PM
1) UC and UP covered up all the swirls with oils; thus the scratches were never completely removed.

or

2) The washing or drying process introduced those scratches.

I've ONR'd some really dirty cars and never had any issues. If it doesn't gently wipe clean during the ONR wash; then it's too much for the ONR in the first place.

rustynail21
03-13-2015, 10:40 PM
My worry is that its the washing / drying process. Is there anything that is sounding alarms? How much water do you run in your rinse bucket? Do I need to have a grit guard in the soap bucket as well? Is 2 gallons of water to 1 oz of the soap enough or do you add a bit more soap / water?

Sorry for the million questions, just trying to figure it out.

conman1395
03-13-2015, 10:43 PM
What brand of mitt do you use? When I read fleece I think of the "micro-fleece" mitts I've gotten from O'Reilly's. What brand of towel?
Here's a solution though: Go to Home Depot and get one of the QEP brand grout sponges. Or Lowes Proline Multi-purpose (I believe that's what the two pack is called) and use that as your media. I've used it on soft Porsche and Acura paint with zero problems. If you want a decent over the counter drying towel, the large, yellow Viking microfiber towel from O'Reilly's is very good.
If you don't mind spending more money many towels on Autogeek are good!

rustynail21
03-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I'll be trying a new mitt and towel just to be sure. Nothings worse then looking at the 'what did you do detailing related' thread and thinking I put about 1 million scratches in my clear...

conman1395
03-13-2015, 10:49 PM
We can only know we did something right if we know what it means to do it wrong!
You got this bud, the only thing that sucks is the polishing takes time. But it's also another opportunity to get more hours in on paint correction.

rustynail21
03-13-2015, 10:57 PM
Thanks conman!

Hopefully I don't have to compound to much otherwise I'll have to start worrying about clear coat depth. I might have to start thinking about a coating or using a touchless car wash and quick detailer.

At least it looks good from a distance :)

conman1395
03-13-2015, 11:19 PM
Thanks conman!

Hopefully I don't have to compound to much otherwise I'll have to start worrying about clear coat depth. I might have to start thinking about a coating or using a touchless car wash and quick detailer.

At least it looks good from a distance :)
Do you have access to a hose for traditional 2 bucket washes with a shampoo or only rinseless washes? The traditional style may be better for right now until you're comfortable trying rinseless washes again.

After going through a touchless wash I will not even use a drying towel because of the film still left from the touchless wash. I will usually rinseless or waterless wash after. Usually I go to a do it yourself car wash and just use water and immediately head home to wash.

The soap used in both do it yourself washes and touchless washes will quickly weaken and remove your wax/sealant. So be mindful of that.

rustynail21
03-13-2015, 11:37 PM
I do have access to a hose, but can't use shampoo due to water restrictions. Makes life way more difficult. I think the next time I try it I'll use the new towels / sponge and pre wash at the car wash. Its already scratched so what the heck. Then I'll inspect pre and post car wash and pre and post ONR and maybe it'll help narrow down the issue.

Thanks for the help. Really hoping she polishes out easy in the spring!

rustynail21
03-14-2015, 11:12 PM
Just so I get an idea, can some one post pics of how dirty they wash cars with ONR? Just want to get a visual on how dirty has still yielded scratch free results.

conman1395
03-15-2015, 12:23 AM
Just so I get an idea, can some one post pics of how dirty they wash cars with ONR? Just want to get a visual on how dirty has still yielded scratch free results.
If you search on the forum or Google "How dirty is too dirty for ONR" you will find many threads with pictures for you.

conman1395
03-15-2015, 12:25 AM
Here I did it for you. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+dirty+is+too+dirty+for+ONR+site:autog eekonline.net

rustynail21
03-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Thanks!