PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys use for your headlights???

Rod73
03-13-2015, 02:38 PM
What do you guys use for your headlights? I've used the same sealants and carnauba waxes that I've used on my paint.

I've gotten a lot of conflicting information whether or not it's a big deal to not use a dedicated plastic protectant. So I'm fishing for more information

07gtcs
03-13-2015, 03:07 PM
That is all I use, I feel the other stuff is just a way for them to get into your pocket a little deeper. But that is just my thought.

FUNX650
03-13-2015, 03:42 PM
I believe that today's OEM automobile headlamp lens covers are, more often than not:
P-Carb with an IR or UV cured, transparent hardcoat.

Some hardcoats are made from/with:
-one-part silicone system;
-two-component silicone hardcoat system;
-polyurethane system
-UV absorbers
-etc.

So...
What are the best protectants for these
particular types of hardcoats?

I remember that:
I'm not really applying protectants to the P-Carb itself...
as long as the hardcoat is intact.

And...For "intact hardcoats":
I just go ahead and apply a CC-paint compatible LSP...
after I apply a film layer of Plexus.

Best of both worlds, IMO, for these expensive lens covers.

Bob

Jaretr1
03-13-2015, 03:54 PM
I use Carpro Dlux on all my exterior trim including headlights and tailights.

FishyX
03-13-2015, 06:12 PM
Always use the same sealant I'm using on the body. Pretty much Z-2 or a Duragloss product. It must work cuz I've never had headlight housings yellow or fog over. Only Fords since 1977.

SameGuy
03-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Same here, as long as the headlamp UV coating is intact, I use whatever I'm using on the paint. DLUX may be used on paint (the UV coating is essentially clear coat), but it is better suited to trim plastics. Seems to almost be a waste, at the price they charge, when a few pennies' worth of wax/sealant/coating will protect the clear coat just fine. Less hassle, too.