PDA

View Full Version : New clear coat fx technology question

MJT
03-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Hey guys have you come across this website - clear-fx.com? Just wondered what your thoughts on it are? I have a potential job offer to work in the auto detailing department at a company that uses this clear coat restoration technology. They say that it's much better than buffing and polishing your cars paint and it permanently fills in and corrects scratches and swirls etc. I love traditional detailing with my buffer but is this kind of technology the future for detailing?? Just want to know peoples thoughts as I consider which direction to go in.

Thanks!
Mark

AutowerxDetailing
03-13-2015, 03:21 AM
"Permanent." Yeah... I would love to see an msds on this stuff.

Dan K
03-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Interesting product. I looked at the before and after pics on their website. While there seems to be a remarkable improvement in the paint condition, there are still a lot visible scratches and clarity issues in some of the pics. So the paint doesn't necessarily get restored to a "pristine finish" like they claim.

Also, even though it states that the restoration part permanently restores clear coat damage and protects against further damage, the protectant part of the system has to be reapplied every six months.

If the system actually works and is cheaper and faster than traditional detailing I can see a demand for it, especially for people that just want a glossy car and not a perfect finish. It definitely will never take the place of polishing for those who want a near perfect finish IMO.

Thanks to the OP for posting. Always interesting to learn of new detailing processes. :xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
03-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Disclaimer: I haven't looked at the website.

Based on what you fellers have posted, that it partially fills and protects for 6 months, and then has to be reapplied--it just sounds like a good(?) sealant to me, just another way of marketing it like the dealers have been doing with their paint protection products forever.

MJT
03-14-2015, 12:05 AM
As I understand it the quality might not be quite as good as polishing but takes less than half the time it would to buff and therefore can be offered at a much cheaper price to still get a decent finish. The website also talks about how buffing is reducing the clear coat protection while the fx system actually adds a fine layer to it. Still interested to hear what others think of this...

AutowerxDetailing
03-14-2015, 12:27 AM
You could also just tape off the car and rattle can "clear coat" onto the paint. It would do essentially the same thing. I hate products like this that try to disrupt the market with a supposedly "innovative" technology when all it does is further confuse the general public and dilute the value of true, professional detailing.

MJT
03-14-2015, 12:30 AM
Here's a picture I found from a company that uses the technology. Not that impressive but maybe worth it for some from cost point of view compared to repainting??

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2779/medium/image1113.jpg[/IMG]

MJT
03-14-2015, 12:33 AM
Here's another one with the spray applied to chipped paint. This one is more impressive and looks like a new paint job. What do you all think?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2779/medium/image1112.jpg[/IMG]

MJT
03-14-2015, 12:35 AM
Personally I love buffing a car and so am hesitant as to whether I want to work for a company that primarily seeks to use this stuff in replacement to traditional buffing.

AutowerxDetailing
03-14-2015, 01:46 AM
I don't even see a difference in the first photo other than one was taken inside and the other was taken outside in the shade. There are still scratches and paint defects visible everywhere.

MJT
03-14-2015, 11:46 PM
Yeah I know! I totally agree with you. The first picture is horrible.

conman1395
03-14-2015, 11:54 PM
If you want a more permanent solution that takes half the time of a full correction process then do what's called a One Step (an abrasive liquid which also contains a sealant).

PiPUK
03-15-2015, 04:50 AM
It looks like it is something which is making the surface extremely glossy such that it appears that some damage is removed. So it really isn't fixing, just making the issue less visible.