PDA

View Full Version : Restore plastic Jeep fenders

bigirn
03-12-2015, 06:29 PM
I bought a used Jeep that has the black/gray plastic fenders. They are now dingy gray with old wax and grime embedded in the pebbled surface. I tried regular car wash and brush but it didn't do much.

I'd like to get them back to black with no streaking from the old wax over runs. Don't want glossy.

Does anyone have a protocol? Also, trying to search this I saw IPA. Pardon my ignorance but what is that?

I really appreciate the help!

Goin Rogue
03-12-2015, 06:39 PM
IPA is isopropyl alcohol.

I would scrub them with an all purpose cleaner (apc), then use a product like Blackfire Total Trim & Tire Sealant. In my experience it darkens and protects very well.

Or Turtle Wax has a trim coating kit you can try, I have no experience with it but people like the tire kit.

JimmyH5
03-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Hello. IPA is rubbing alcohol.... comes in various dilutions... 50%, 70%, etc. Ammonia also cleans plastic fairly well... is often recommended before painting. I've used Forever Black as well as KIWI leather dye to restore plastic.... Forever Black will last longer in my experience, but the dye isn't bad in that I've gotten 6 months out it.

Rsurfer
03-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Use Solution Finish Plastic & Trim Cleaner and seal with Solution Finish Black Trim Restorer.

The Guz
03-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Mothers has a offers a trim cleaner that works well.

Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim (http://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax-remover-plastic-trim.html)

An APC will work as well. You can use the Turtle Wax Trim coating which works well. I have found it works best on textured plastic. Meguiar's also has a new ultimate black trim restorer that claims to last 100+ washes. I am currently using it and it seems to be doing very well and looks great.

Meguiars Ultimate Black Aerosol Trim Restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-black-trim-restorer-aerosol.html)

Eandras
03-12-2015, 07:21 PM
To clean the frayed out fenders I would use a medium scrub brush and all purpose cleaner. This is going to take a lot of time to complete. It,is not going to come off easily. The products like back to black is only topical. The cleaner does work but you will have much better success using APC full strength. When done seal the fenders