PDA

View Full Version : Michelin All Season tire officially rated for winter use

Pages : [1] 2

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-12-2015, 07:34 AM
New Michelin tire looks to be raising the all season tire category. A tire that can be used truly used year round with an official winter tire rating. While this tire may not match its summer only or winter only counter parts, it looks like it really raises the bar where all season tires are concerned.

The big selling point will be using one tire year round instead of switching out between summer/winter tires. This may be the next tire I put on my wife's rear wheel drive BMW wagon.

The new MICHELIN CrossClimate tire - a turning point in history | Michelin (http://www.michelin.com/eng/Home-Michelin/media-room/press-and-news/michelin-news/Innovation/The-new-MICHELIN-CrossClimate-tire-a-turning-point-in-history)

MICHELIN CrossClimate confronting changing weather conditions | Michelin (http://www.michelin.com/eng/Home-Michelin/media-room/press-and-news/press-releases/Products-Services/MICHELIN-CrossClimate-confronting-changing-weather-conditions)

Setec Astronomy
03-12-2015, 07:56 AM
Well, I don't know about the Michelin sales hyperbole and whether that tire has the Canadian "snowflake on the mountains" winter approval, but there are at least 2 other "all-season" or "all-weather" tires which have been around a while and do: The first was the Nokian WR series, followed by the latest version of the Vredestein Quatrac (3).

EDIT: I see in the separate press release it does have the snowflake on the mountains rating, however it's a little disingenuous to suggest it's the first "summer" tire to achieve this when the Nokian WR has been around for at least 8 years.

Desertnate
03-12-2015, 08:06 AM
Interesting. I wonder how well it will handle, and if we'll ever see it on this side of the Atlantic.

I currently live in an area where it is really hard to justify the cost of snow tires. Temperatures are certainly cold enough, we only get a few snow storms a year, and for the most part the roads aren't bad once the plows make their runs.

These conditions put me in a position where summer tires won't cut it for 5 months of the year, but I don't really need winter/snows. All season's work OK, but don't really deliver the performance I'd like. I'm always in the hunt for a tire that will be the best of both worlds.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-12-2015, 08:18 AM
Well, I don't know about the Michelin sales hyperbole and whether that tire has the Canadian "snowflake on the mountains" winter approval, but there are at least 2 other "all-season" or "all-weather" tires which have been around a while and do: The first was the Nokian WR series, followed by the latest version of the Vredestein Quatrac (3).

EDIT: I see in the separate press release it does have the snowflake on the mountains rating, however it's a little disingenuous to suggest it's the first "summer" tire to achieve this when the Nokian WR has been around for at least 8 years.

Thanks for bringing this up. I did not know other manufacturers claim the same. I just looked up the Vredestein and the Quatrac 5 is the successor to the 3.

As you pointed out, they are claiming the first summer tire with a winter rating. The only way will know for sure is to watch the reviews on this tire against others when they come out.

Interesting. I wonder how well it will handle, and if we'll ever see it on this side of the Atlantic.

I currently live in an area where it is really hard to justify the cost of snow tires. Temperatures are certainly cold enough, we only get a few snow storms a year, and for the most part the roads aren't bad once the plows make their runs.

These conditions put me in a position where summer tires won't cut it for 5 months of the year, but I don't really need winter/snows. All season's work OK, but don't really deliver the performance I'd like. I'm always in the hunt for a tire that will be the best of both worlds.

I hear you. I just passed my second winter here in Germany. The first winter was not much of a winter and the factory Continental all seasons on her car were fine. However this past winter it was pretty bad for a week around the holidays and we were slipping around the base going minor errands.

Most of the time her car was parked while we either waited it out or used my BMW. Although mine has dedicated high performance winter tires, I have lowered my BMW and am running a good bit of negative camber. So its a wash.

I already have to switch out wheel/tire assemblies on mine and don't really care to do it on hers. Maybe this tire would be ideal while here in Germany.

Setec Astronomy
03-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Thanks for bringing this up. I did not know other manufacturers claim the same. I just looked up the Vredestein and the Quatrac 5 is the successor to the 3.

I don't see the Quatrac 5 here yet in the states, only the 3 (what happened to 4?). I see a Sportrac 5. I just ran Quatrac 3's here during a pretty bad winter--I think I was more impressed by how good they were during the summer for a "snow" tire than how impressed I was with them in the winter--they were OK.

My friend runs Nokian WRG2's during the summer and Nokian Hakka RSi's during the winter (she hates driving in snow)--based on her findings (we had an early snow storm this year while she still had her summer wheels on) and mine--there's still no substitute for a dedicated winter tire. As I'm sure you know, tread depth on a regular all-season (or even a winter tire) has a large bearing on snow performance, and every snow storm is different.

I'm sure Tire Rack will do a good test on these Michelins, they don't sell Vredestein or Nokian to compare them to, though. There are some German car mags that do winter tire testing, should be able to get someone to translate where you are (Google translation works...sort of...it's not so good on the Norwegian tests). There used to be a useful snow tire forum here run by a guy in upstate NY, but it's been dead the last few years.

Guyb
03-12-2015, 09:59 AM
Good luck on the tires. Just finished my third and final winter here. When I had my 740i I used an all weather tire with no issues but on my Polo I run 2 sets.

Klasse Act
03-12-2015, 10:46 AM
65% of Euros run summer tires year round...THAT IS SHOCKING:nomore:

Desertnate
03-12-2015, 11:22 AM
65% of Euros run summer tires year round...THAT IS SHOCKING:nomore:
I don't find it that shocking since areas of the central/southern UK,southern France, Spain Portugal, Greece, central/southern Italy, Ireland (parts), and maybe even Belgium never really see any snow. That's a lot of land covering significant populations

I lived in the UK for three years and it snowed two~three times over that period for a total of two inches. I ran summer's on my BMW the entire time and never had any issues.

DaveT435
03-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Looks like it will get pretty good snow traction. I would have to say the trade off is going to be decreased summer performance, under normal driving conditions it really shouldn't be noticeable. The other sacrifice from the looks of the tire is going to be road noise. Not a big fan of directional tires. If you start getting uneven wear there is no real way to correct it which can lead to more road noise and eventually vibration. Just my .02 from my 28 years in the tire business.

Setec Astronomy
03-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Not a big fan of directional tires. If you start getting uneven wear there is no real way to correct it which can lead to more road noise and eventually vibration. Just my .02 from my 28 years in the tire business.

You know it's funny, I go to a real good specialized tire place. Every car I've ever had the factory instructions are to rotate in an X-pattern (obviously not if they are directional tires). Usually I rotate the tires myself, but one time I had a flat or something so I decided to have my place rotate the tires while I was there getting the flat fixed, and I asked and they said they NEVER do X-pattern, always just front to back, which I thought was crazy.

SameGuy
03-12-2015, 11:54 AM
@Setec Astronomy - thanks for bringing up the points you did in your first reply. I was going to mention both Vredestein Quatrac and Nokian WR. Neither sell very well here in Quebec, where one would think they should -- the only full jurisdiction in the world with mandatory winter tire laws. It could be because they are perceived as more of a knobby winter tire than a smooth summer one, and people generally prefer smooth tires overall. I know quite a few friends who live in slightly more benign climates who run them year round and love them. Personally I run full summer tires from April through October (currently on Yokohama S-Drives) and Nokian Hakka 5s in winter. Wife's Accord has very normal Michelin MXV all seasons and Yokohama IG-20s (which weren't my choice) for winter. We run separate full sets, the winters are on steelies.

SameGuy
03-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Hi Dave, yeah I hear that. When I got my (used) summer wheel set the rears were 90% done. If you know about my little clown car you'll imagine what it's like with a lowered suspension and remember what Triumph Spitfires and worn-out Vettes look like from behind. With rear wheel drive and staggered tires, the rears wear about three times faster than the fronts, and usually from the inside shoulder out. The wear on these super-stiff tires was enough that I thought for sure I'd burned one of my just-replaced rear bearings! When I switched to the winters the noise went away.

Kamakaz1961
03-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Wow what a coincidence. I live in Southern California so I am really not concerned about cold temperatures.

What I am concerned about is having the best or 1 of the best tires available. 2 Days ago I bought the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my girl!! I paid a little more but she's definitely worth it.

Michelin IMO make some of the best tires on the planet!

They seem to up the ante all the time....that is great for the consumer!

StangFan25
03-13-2015, 12:09 AM
Wow what a coincidence. I live in Southern California so I am really not concerned about cold temperatures.

What I am concerned about is having the best or 1 of the best tires available. 2 Days ago I bought the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my girl!! I paid a little more but she's definitely worth it.

Michelin IMO make some of the best tires on the planet!

They seem to up the ante all the time....that is great for the consumer!

I have the Pilot Sports on my Stang. Love em!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
03-13-2015, 01:37 AM
Looks like it will get pretty good snow traction. I would have to say the trade off is going to be decreased summer performance, under normal driving conditions it really shouldn't be noticeable. The other sacrifice from the looks of the tire is going to be road noise. Not a big fan of directional tires. If you start getting uneven wear there is no real way to correct it which can lead to more road noise and eventually vibration. Just my .02 from my 28 years in the tire business.

I know what you mean. This tire surely isn't for the performance oriented drivers. Road noise will probably be up judging by the looks of the tire.

Good point about road noise and rotation. Thanks for bringing that up. Your .02 is noted.