PDA

View Full Version : Bosch palm sander

frankprozzoly
03-12-2015, 06:45 AM
I just bought this orbital floor sander. Isn't this the same as our buffers?

Setec Astronomy
03-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Those ones with the square plate usually have a much smaller orbit and a higher frequency.

frankprozzoly
03-12-2015, 07:29 AM
This one is the little round one. I'm just curious. I was debating trying my pc to make some minor floor repairs

Setec Astronomy
03-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Oh...I have used my PC for sanding before. It just took me so long to clean it up after I decided not to do that again.

FUNX650
03-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Converting some of the PCs back to their original woodworking purposes will, no doubt, require the purchase of the correct backing plate and compatible sanding-papers/disks.

I suppose the Bosch Palm Sander will work for spot repairs.
But for sanding an entire floor...:eek:

Bob

Setec Astronomy
03-12-2015, 09:44 AM
Converting some of the PCs back to their original woodworking purposes will, no doubt, require the purchase of the correct backing plate and compatible sanding-papers/disks.

I think one of mine was the 7336 or whatever that number was, that came with the 6" counterweight so I didn't have to change it (back in the day when people did that kind of thing), so it came with the sanding backing plate.

frankprozzoly
03-12-2015, 10:10 AM
I'm not doing the entire floor. Just some touch up scratches

FUNX650
03-12-2015, 10:13 AM
I think one of mine was the 7336 or whatever that number was, that came with the 6" counterweight so I didn't have to change it (back in the day when people did that kind of thing), so it came with the sanding backing plate.
^^^ :props: ^^^

Bob

Setec Astronomy
03-12-2015, 10:14 AM
I'm not doing the entire floor. Just some touch up scratches

Ouch--make sure you know what you are getting into. Are you saying the floor is finished, but has some scratches and you are going to sand those out and refinish that section of the floor? Cuz that's never going to look right. Or are you saying you're trying to sand out scratches in the finish the way we might sand out a scratch in car paint? Cuz that's never going to look right.

EDIT: I'd just go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a can of Johnson Paste Wax for floors and wood furniture, it's in a big yellow can and it's like Simoniz from WW II...that'll make the scratches less noticeable, depending, of course.

frankprozzoly
03-12-2015, 11:23 AM
I've read not to put wax on polyurethane. I'm probably just gonna use steel wool . But i have a small section needs replaced so I have to sand the finish to accept polyurethane

Mike Phillips
03-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Don't know if this helps but here you go...

Sanding Wood with a Porter Cable DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/66132-sanding-wood-porter-cable-da-polisher.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1907/Sanding_Wood_with_a_Porter_Cable_DA_Polisher_05.jp g

:xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
03-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Oh, it's polyurethane, that's probably a different story.

Paul A.
03-12-2015, 12:28 PM
Slightly off topic however i also used my PC7336 to sand wood. Like Setec said, twas a bear to clean again and be satisfied it would pass my inspection to return to car paint but it worked like a champ. Then again, i think that was it's original and intended function anyway.