PDA

View Full Version : Afraid to marr paint!

Pages : [1] 2

Mulletman44
03-09-2015, 04:56 PM
I ordered some fine clay bars and clay bar lube and planned on claying and before I used hydro2 which I am switching to from wax, so I wanted to get all the wax off and get it clean before sealing. But I am afraid to clay bar now because all of the stuff I've seen about marring I know you generally polish after but I don't have a polisher so I won't be doing that. There's also a fair amount of overspray on a panel of my truck. What should I do go ahead and clay bar or just skip it?

Nutbolt
03-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Clay it as long as you didn't get an aggressive clay bar you should be fine. Don't need hardly any pressure. Just smooth passes. It should feel like it is grabbing and then get smooth.

Kamakaz1961
03-09-2015, 05:16 PM
You should be fine. No worries....just remember lots of lube!!

Mulletman44
03-09-2015, 05:37 PM
I got the fine clay bar from carpro and their clay lube! Thanks guys I'll give it a go!

Audios S6
03-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Do a couple test spots with the clay. Fine clay may not be enough for overspray, but it's also unlikely to cause marring. If you do end up marring the paint, you could hand polish that test section out.

For an occasional user, a harbor freight DA polisher is very reasonably priced. You could get set up with a polisher, lake country polishing pads (white) and meguiars m205 for around $100.

swanicyouth
03-09-2015, 07:31 PM
IME if there is a lot of contamination - you will get the most marring. But, "claying" is a learned skill. First time I did it - I cause some marring. Now I can clay my black BMW without any marring.

I'd skip clay and get a towel or a block.

Mulletman44
03-09-2015, 09:51 PM
There are likely a lot of contaminates it's kept outside, regularly washed but it hasn't been clayed in over a year.. What is the towel and blocks your talking about? I've heard about the nano mitts

AutowerxDetailing
03-10-2015, 01:57 AM
It is highly likely that you will leave marring in the paint from the claybar process. I mean, think about what clay is... it's essentially a micro-fine abrasive suspended in a malleable polymer "clay" block. Its purpose is to "shear" contaminates off the paint. Even if you use an excessive amount of lubricant you will probably see a few spots where the surface will be marred up.

Why don't you want to polish? It seems like you want to, and perhaps enjoy, taking care of your vehicle. Part of the proper "restore/protect/maintain" process of detailing is going to be periodically polishing the surface (even if it is just by hand).

Mulletman44
03-10-2015, 08:06 AM
I do enjoy cleaning my trucking I have done it by hand and its sucked and I haven't had much results from it and I've yet to buy a machine so until then I was just going to hold off on it.

Don M
03-10-2015, 09:07 AM
It is highly likely that you will leave marring in the paint from the claybar process. I mean, think about what clay is... it's essentially a micro-fine abrasive suspended in a malleable polymer "clay" block. Its purpose is to "shear" contaminates off the paint. Even if you use an excessive amount of lubricant you will probably see a few spots where the surface will be marred up.

Why don't you want to polish? It seems like you want to, and perhaps enjoy, taking care of your vehicle. Part of the proper "restore/protect/maintain" process of detailing is going to be periodically polishing the surface (even if it is just by hand).

Typically even "severe" markings from claying a car are pretty minor and with the variety of excellent polishes available today, even hand-polishing will easily remove these marks. Polishing IS worth the extra effort.

Jersey John
03-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Use lots of lube and you wont have any issue with marring because the bar isn't insanely aggressive. If you're trying to strip off old wax so you can put something else on then use some dish soap to clean the car carefully. Note: Never do this unless you're trying to strip off an old wax otherwise you run the risk of damaging your car. Clays purpose is not to get rid of wax but rather all the other contaminants that embed themselves in the paint.

Mulletman44
03-10-2015, 12:46 PM
What polish would you recommend for the circumstances?

Jersey John
03-10-2015, 02:09 PM
What polish would you recommend for the circumstances?

You'll get a lot of different responses on this, but any polish is gonna suck to use without a machine. I'd recommend using Meguiar's Ultimate Polish bc no matter your experience level you can't really screw that up.

Mulletman44
03-11-2015, 07:47 AM
I believe that is the polish I have. I washed and then clayed a test spot where there was a lot of over spray it got all the overspray off and left it very smooth but did marr the paint quite a bit.. Maybe because of all the over spray I don't know but something has got onto my paint leaving it VERY rough.. Just recently so too so I guess I will be saving up for a DA probably the GG6, and then I will clay the whole truck.

Mulletman44
03-11-2015, 07:50 AM
And I also tried the polish there and it didn't help much at all but I may be doing something wrong.