PDA

View Full Version : Is Poli-Seal the right choice for me?

evo77
03-09-2015, 02:03 PM
So I am debating on which products to purchase for my Spring detail.

My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Granite Crystal Mettalic Grand Caravan. As one should expect of a new vehicle the paint condition is 99% defect free. In direct sunlight I can see some very faint/minor marrring here and there most likely from the dealer. I thought of going this route:

1. wash/clay
2. Poli-seal with PC
3. Opti-seal coating

I figured that since Poli-seal has some minor correcting ability and is easy to use (I'm no professional with the PC by any means) I thought this AIO was a good choice for its cleaning/mar removal/gloss attributes. My only concern is that I've read that it may not be as strong suited in the area of scratch removal as perhaps other products in the same category. I'm really not looking to spend all day for this job and do multiple passes but rather something that will do the AIO job quickly and effectively in one shot.

Also too I own a 2012 Chevy Cruze that most likely needs some correcting (not much but more so than the new vehicle) so I would like to be able to use the AIO on it too with success.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

VISITOR
03-09-2015, 02:50 PM
poli-seal is a great product (also easy to use). if you want a little more cut, use a light cutting pad. it cleans very well (you'll see on the pad) and virtually melts right into the paint with very little to almost nothing to wipe off...

evo77
03-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. Can you recommend me some light cutting pads from AG? Do you think full correction can be done with one pass? I know that might be hard to answer without really knowing for sure the paint condition.

And as far as applying it with the PC, is it just a matter of working it in until it basically is a light haze?

haris300
03-09-2015, 03:34 PM
I usually work Poli-Seal for 2 maybe 3 passes. It doesn't have a long work time comparable to that of a standard polish or compound, but it's an absolute breeze to wipe away after working. It's a great product and like Visitor suggested, if you pair it with a light cutting pad like an orange Lake Country foam pad, it will work wonders. Awesome AIO in my opinion. Very easy to use.

conquistador
03-09-2015, 03:42 PM
I'm confused if you plan on using opti-seal after it kinda defeats the idea of an AIO. You will need more than a single pass to get any correction. Why not pick up a medium cut polish that can truly provide some correction and follow with the opti-seal.

Setec Astronomy
03-09-2015, 04:21 PM
I think we're getting tangled up in language here, "one pass" vs. "one application". One application involves multiple passes (back and forth, up and down, etc.). My interpretation is the OP doesn't want to have to polish multiple times, i.e., multiple applications (with panel wipedowns in between, etc). I could be wrong.

I think Mike Phillips has a thread somewhere about this terminology.

EDIT: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html

Let me revise my response: I think the OP only wants to do one buffing cycle.

FUNX650
03-09-2015, 04:32 PM
In direct sunlight I can see some very faint/minor marrring here and there most likely from the dealer. I thought of going this route:

1. wash/clay
2. Poli-seal with PC
3. Opti-seal coating

•You did mean Opti-Seal Sealant...didn't you?

•Poli-Seal is a good AIO: there should be no problem
in getting rid of the above mentioned faint/minor-marring.

•Some people will apply Opti-Seal on top of Poli-Seal.
-A possible conundrum to this "topping action":
Does it add any additional value to factors such as:
protection, gloss, shine, etc., to the underlying AIO?

-You will have to be the judge & jury on this one.

Bob

evo77
03-09-2015, 05:09 PM
I think we're getting tangled up in language here, "one pass" vs. "one application". One application involves multiple passes (back and forth, up and down, etc.). My interpretation is the OP doesn't want to have to polish multiple times, i.e., multiple applications (with panel wipedowns in between, etc). I could be wrong.

I think Mike Phillips has a thread somewhere about this terminology.

EDIT: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html

Let me revise my response: I think the OP only wants to do one buffing cycle.

Exactly.

Sorry, one pass to me means to work a panel with 1 application until done. I didn't want to have to do multiple applications since the vehicle is so big. Well big for me, lol.

evo77
03-09-2015, 05:12 PM
I'm confused if you plan on using opti-seal after it kinda defeats the idea of an AIO. You will need more than a single pass to get any correction. Why not pick up a medium cut polish that can truly provide some correction and follow with the opti-seal.

I was under the impression that the longevity of the Poli-seal wasn't long and that using Opti-seal would offer longer durability over it. Plus its an easy wipe on and leave alone product. :)

I'm more than open to other recommendations. Thanks!

Ebg18t
03-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Poli-Seal is easy to use and works well on paint that is in good condition. In place of Opti-Seal I might suggest the OPT Spray Wax. I found the spray wax offers solid protection and good shine. After washing (w/ONR) the spray wax can be used like a QD to freshen the finish. It is easy to use and looks good.

AZ Mike
03-09-2015, 07:49 PM
"Optimum Poli-Seal is another excellent product from Optimum Polymer Technologies. Don’t mistake it for a cleaner wax. Poli-Seal cleans, polishes, corrects and seals paint under a smooth, glossy polymer shield. Poli-Seal does what other one-step products promise. In one easy application, you get the benefits of a fine swirl remover, a finishing polish and a high quality polymer wax."
From the description on Autoogeek. You might want to see the longevity of the Poli-Seal by itself. That after all is the purpose of an All In One. One step for the process of polishing and waxing.

I didn't sound too much like Bob(FUNX725) did I?

swanicyouth
03-09-2015, 07:57 PM
I see this process as counter productive. AIOs are mainly for production detailers earning $$$ IMHO. If your going to spend the time to buff out YOUR CAR, you may as well use a dedicated polish; especially since you plan on applying a dedicated LSP.

It takes a LOT of time and work to buff out a car correctly - if it was me, I wouldn't want to use a polish that is compromised because it's a jack of all trades.

You will get better results with a dedicated polish and better results with a dedicated LSP.