PDA

View Full Version : looking for a beginner polisher

Stegs
03-09-2015, 07:17 AM
Guys, Im looking for a polisher/machine to apply wax and polish with

I have never used a machine every in my life, so very new

Is there something out there that is very user friendly and inexpensive?

Right now i do everything by hand....to be 100% honest im scared to death to use a machine for fear of scratching/swirls/burning thru paint

can you guys help me with suggestions....again, something user friendly and cost effective...I dont know how much these normally go for, but i dont want to spend a fortune on something that i can do by hand for free

Looking to use it for on black cars to apply products like

poorboys black hole (mostly this one)

Collinite 845

jetseal 109

dlc95
03-09-2015, 07:35 AM
A lot of people like the Chicago Electric d/a found at Harbor Freight.

You could also check your local Craigslist for a used Porter Cable 7424xp.

Machine kits are also available new here at the Autogeek store.

Zelfiris
03-09-2015, 07:37 AM
I started with Griot's Garage 6inch orbital polisher and I recommend this for you. It has more power than porter cable and has lifetime warranty.

The cost I believe is around $130-$150 for the unit. When you get into paint correction (also polishing), you can buy smaller backing plates to get into other areas.

Stegs
03-09-2015, 07:40 AM
I started with Griot's Garage 6inch orbital polisher and I recommend this for you. It has more power than porter cable and has lifetime warranty.

The cost I believe is around $130-$150 for the unit. When you get into paint correction (also polishing), you can buy smaller backing plates to get into other areas.

thats a good price!

Is this a good polisher for the products i mentioned?

I think i will mostly wax by hand....but i want to use this with CG Blacklight and poorboys black hole...

Maybe use it for collinite 845 wax

I can get a 6" from harbor freight for less than $50, and get pads for 4.99? is that any good? of is everything there junk and a waste of money?

Desertnate
03-09-2015, 08:53 AM
I can get a 6" from harbor freight for less than $50, and get pads for 4.99? is that any good? of is everything there junk and a waste of money?

The polisher is great. The pads...not so much.

I bought the polisher and then quickly transitioned to a Lake Country 5" backing plate and Lake Country 5.5" pads I bought here.

I found the HF polishing and compounding pads only lasted through one car before they fell apart. The waxing pads seem to last longer. However, the Lake Country solution I mentioned above holds up great and I've saved a ton of money by not having to constantly buy new pads.

Zelfiris
03-09-2015, 09:09 AM
thats a good price!

Is this a good polisher for the products i mentioned?

I think i will mostly wax by hand....but i want to use this with CG Blacklight and poorboys black hole...

Maybe use it for collinite 845 wax

Yes it will work great with the products you mentioned.

The HF polisher will also do what you are looking for as well. I don't have any experience with it however so I cannot comment on how well it performs for paint correction. For waxing, both machines will do wonders

KBsToy
03-09-2015, 09:47 AM
PM sent