PDA

View Full Version : Rust repair on Trunk Lid

Cvjeticanin
03-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Hey guys! I just wanted to see what your professional opinions are about the rust that has occurred on this 2013 Nissan Altima. It's a friends car and they asked me to see what I can do for them.

In this first pic I started to rub off all the rust drip marks off with some rubbing compound.

Here you can see that it looks a lot better than before.

This is where I stopped and I think it looks 10x better than before. We were pleased with the results but they asked what else we can do about the rust that's under the trim piece.

I suggested two options:

First Option: (AND MY PREFERRED OPTION) Is to have a body shop remove the trim piece and respray the trunk to properly fix it.

or

Option#2: We can remove the trim piece ourselves. Sand the paint down to bare metal and put Por-15 rust inhibitor on the bare metal. Then tape off the paint and mask off the rest of the car to eliminate over spray and spray primer, color, and clear.

I explained to them that the lower tape line would be noticeable and that the body shop would do a better job since they would most likely be painting the whole panel.

Long story short they would like for me to do this for them and I couldn't stress enough to them that if it was my car I would take it to a body shop and get it done properly the first time! Although, I'm kind of curious to see how this will turn out doing it by ourselves.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Products, techniques, etc. Thanks guys!

custmsprty
03-08-2015, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't do it. What if the rust comes back? They are most likely going to hold you responsible for future issues.

Cvjeticanin
03-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Yea i already explained all of those things to them. If i do anything else i'll make sure to have them sign a waiver and i'm also doing this for free...i just wanted to see what you guys thought. If anyone has done something similar to this.

Charleston
03-08-2015, 10:44 PM
I would contact Nissan....60 month corrosion warranty.

Cvjeticanin
03-09-2015, 08:02 AM
I would contact Nissan....60 month corrosion warranty.

great idea...i'll mention that to them and see what the dealership tells them.

lpklemmer
03-09-2015, 08:49 AM
Being a 2013, unless it has serious miles shouldn't it still be under warranty? I had some bleeding/bubbling rust issues on my 2012 Ford Fusion and Ford took care of it no questions asked, ended up replacing my entire rear doors.

This seems like a factory defect to me on a vehicle this new.

Don M
03-09-2015, 09:17 AM
This is one of the few case where I would recommend the dealership handle it.

Cvjeticanin
03-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Being a 2013, unless it has serious miles shouldn't it still be under warranty? I had some bleeding/bubbling rust issues on my 2012 Ford Fusion and Ford took care of it no questions asked, ended up replacing my entire rear doors.

This seems like a factory defect to me on a vehicle this new.

I'll definitely forward that info to them. I personally would like to have the dealership handle it as well. Better for them and easier for me. ;)

This is one of the few case where I would recommend the dealership handle it.

Thank you....i'll see what the dealership tells them. Also, where are you located I noticed it says NE Ohio....I'm in Hinckley.:cruisin:

Charleston
03-09-2015, 11:24 AM
I would also not mention anything was done to the spot (ex, you polished it etc).

They may jump on any excuse to DENY it

Don M
03-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Thank you....i'll see what the dealership tells them. Also, where are you located I noticed it says NE Ohio....I'm in Hinckley.:cruisin:

Akron

Cvjeticanin
03-09-2015, 11:26 PM
I would also not mention anything was done to the spot (ex, you polished it etc).

Good call

They may jump on any excuse to DENY it

Akron

Nice! Right around the corner.:props: