PDA

View Full Version : Can you layer spray wax

Pages : [1] 2 3

lineman
03-07-2015, 08:19 PM
We finally got some decent weather nd I cleaned up the wife's car. Arter I wash it I always wipe it down with a spray wax, today I used Meguiars Quick Wax ( D-156) I don't know if it has any cleaners but was wondering if you can layer this stuff. If you can I'll go over the car again tomorrow or would it be just a feel good effort with no tangible results?

custmsprty
03-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Layering is a waste of time. Especially a spray wax.

VISITOR
03-07-2015, 08:52 PM
one coat works well and should last through every other wash at a minimum, so in between then you can use a QD...

KMdef9
03-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Layering is a waste of time. Especially a spray wax.

Time and money.

Layering is only good for insuring coverage.

FUNX650
03-08-2015, 12:09 AM
Arter I wash it I always wipe it down with a spray wax, today I used Meguiars Quick Wax ( D-156) I don't know if it has any cleaners but was wondering if you can layer this stuff.
Even though it's good stuff...
Does Meguiar's D156 actually contain any Wax?

Bob

AutowerxDetailing
03-08-2015, 12:36 AM
Even though it's good stuff...
Does Meguiar's D156 actually contain any Wax?

Bob

AFAIK the "wax" in the name is just for marketing since people equate wax to protection. According to the MSDS for D156 it's essentially +90% water, 1% orange scent extract and then a blend of trade secret "conditioners" with no CAS#.

tenblade2001
03-08-2015, 04:10 AM
AFAIK the "wax" in the name is just for marketing since people equate wax to protection. According to the MSDS for D156 it's essentially +90% water, 1% orange scent extract and then a blend of trade secret "conditioners" with no CAS#.

Does it offer any appreciable protection being 90% water?

PiPUK
03-08-2015, 05:23 AM
It will depend on the product. If it is genuinely wax based then you probably can. Many will have no wax at all and layering may give next to no benefit.

FUNX650
03-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Does it offer any appreciable protection being 90% water?
Depends on your definition of appreciable, and protection.

D156 also contains:
•a particular mixture of active ingredients, [@ <0.001% by weight], that is said to provide a broad-spectrum, formaldehyde-free Biocide

•Triethoxyoctylsilane [@ <= 0.2%, by weight]

•Trade Secret (T.S.) Conditioners [@ <5%, by weight]

BTW:
The % of Water in the D156 formulation
can be as high as 99% [by weight].

Bob

Setec Astronomy
03-08-2015, 08:09 AM
•Triethoxyoctylsilane [@ <= 0.2%, by weight]

This was pretty interesting: http://www.dowcorning.com/content/about/aboutehs/EHSPortalFiles/GPS_Safety_Report_2943-75-1.pdf

Note that when they refer to "sealants" they aren't talking about sealants as we describe them, they are talking about RTV's and related, i.e. "caulk".

PA DETAILER
03-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Have you looked at prima wax as u dry?
Prima Hydro Wax As You Dry Spray, spray wax (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-hydro-spray-wax.html)

Spritz on before drying off. And.....Bam! Your left with a high gloss streak free finish. And it even looks better after 24 hours. I used this yesterday and forgot what a great product it is.

Don M
03-08-2015, 09:39 AM
AFAIK the "wax" in the name is just for marketing since people equate wax to protection. According to the MSDS for D156 it's essentially +90&#37; water, 1% orange scent extract and then a blend of trade secret "conditioners" with no CAS#.

I just posted on MOL to see if I can get an answer from Michael Stoops about protection or no from D156/Ultimate Spray Wax.

From what I understand, they do have a LIGHT amount of protective ingredients and leave something behind on the paint to act as a barrior, though nothing like a real coat of UPW or ULW.

As for 'layering' I doubt it would do anything except waste product and time, unless the reason you're putting two coats on is to ensure you have gotten complete coverage.

tenblade2001
03-08-2015, 11:02 AM
This is disappointing news. Is there a good spray wax that is actually wax or will offer some good protection?

Rmd
03-08-2015, 11:19 AM
If you're looking for a carnauba spray wax, there are a couple under the pinnacle brand that are described as carnauba. Xmt and liquid souveran (sp?).

If a spray sealant is okay with you, there are a lot of good choices. Prima hydro max, or wax as you dry are awesome and are designed to last a couple months. Offerings from WG and BF are really good too.

For lighter, LSP topping type spray product, DG aqua wax has a cult following here for good reason, and the D156 you have is an excellent product also.

forrest@mothers
03-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Spray Waxes are meant to be boosters to the existing wax, not a replacement.

Layering? Sure, you can spray some on, then wipe it off and spray some more on.

But I think you'd be better off to apply a coat of liquid or paste wax and then use the spray wax to maintain it until it's time to (really) wax again.