PDA

View Full Version : KSG Success! (I think) One Question Though...

APDX
03-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Hi all -

Had an easy time laying on a thin coat of KSG (following manufacturer instructions, with a damp MF pad). I hyped myself up for an adventure but it was smooth sailing. Literally smooth! Truck looks great, and everything buffed off easily. Or so it seemed.

HOWEVER:

This morning when I looked at the truck, I noticed that the dew that collected on the truck showed some KSG application swipe marks :( . While it looked like there was some haze too, I think this was just the dew. I lightly wiped the swipe marks with a MF towel and it was back to being smooth, flawless and shiny.

I am planning to apply a second coat of KSG this afternoon but am concerned about these swipe marks.

Any ideas of what is happening? Did I not buff off properly? Is this normal? Should I proceed with a second coat?

Thanks for your advice!

Rsurfer
03-07-2015, 03:25 PM
You either put on too much product or didn't remove completely. Yeah, go for it (second, third forth etc.).

Britsdaddy
03-07-2015, 08:25 PM
I always had application problems with KSG and had the same issues. Usually from applying too much. I found a 1:1 KSG to distilled water in a small spray bottle helped with controlling how much product you use and then use the WOWO method. It makes it easy to add coats and cuts down on the streaking. Just don't let it dry or your going to get streaks which another coat usually will hide. Finicky product to work with but once you get the hang of it you'll love it.

Detail-Impressions
03-08-2015, 12:51 AM
I suggest apply with DA machine red pad, double coat the entire truck. Thin coats, allow to haze and remove with MF towel. Allow to cure in sunlight if possible?

APDX
03-09-2015, 11:18 AM
Okay, here's an update and more info.

I've put three coats of KSG on and the truck looks....AMAZING, except for the morning when there's dew on it.

During the day there are absolutely no streaks, and there's no hazing. I have a great shine, and mirror finish. Super happy. (I'll take a pic when it warms up here.)

But in the morning, there's this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/240016/amhaze.JPG

I would like there to be :nomore: of this. Not too much to ask, right?

My second and third coats were WOWO with a fully damp (not wet) applicator. Went on and off easily.

So, what gives? Is this simply an uneven application and I should be working it in more? Not *enough* product? Too much?

The car looks great during the day, but since I'm getting this in the dew I feel like I haven't dialed in the technique.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I think my next step might be a coat of 1:1 KSG:distilled water to see if that helps.

Feed back please

Thanks!

Odisious
03-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Not to make you feel bad in any way, but this is one of the reasons I have migrated away from the klasse products. Don't get me wrong...they are amazing, and from my understanding when they first came out they were the only sealant that touched the durability that they have.

THAT BEING SAID (Leonard Nemoy): I have found duragloss #105 and #601 combo to give a more glassy (candied) look, better shine, and the ease of use is awesome. I'm in to coatings now, but when I was sealing with duragloss I was just amazed. I got about an extra two months of durability compared to KSG and that was after 3 coats of KSG. I wished I had gone with DG from the beginning, but the cheap price made me think that I was getting what I would pay for...I made an error in that regard. Duragloss is amazing. Do your own searching here on the forum and see what people say. If you switch you won't regret it.

I'm sorry that you were given advice to add more coats of the KSG, but what you should have been advised to do is get those streaks out first. By applying more layers you essentially sealed them in. If you have a DA with a mild pad you could try to buff with KAIO and see if you can get back to the start and smoothen things out. I had trouble my first few times with streaks, but I never wanted to water down as some have done because I felt like I was cheating the durability. When I finally got it down I was realizing I was spending three days on the process and it wasn't worth it (compared to a half day with Duragloss). You're vehicle will be protected, but those streaks my attract dirt and debris which actually my cause swirl/marring issues in the future. Also, avoid the wowo method because if you don't let it flash when you are wiping off what you've put on. Part of the process that makes for the durability is the immediate curing (not the overnight cure) of the product. Acrylic has to dry or your just taking all of the product away when you buff (think of acrylic tiles and adhesives). Again, I'm not saying kSG is a bad product...I bought it from what I found here and what people have said, but when compared with offerings that offer better slickness and longer durability I just question the worth of going through the process and the hard buffing.

conman1395
03-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Uh, morning dew happens. Not much you can do about it. Do not wipe thd dew off with a microfiber towel though, all it is is moisture that will go away shortly. You are just giving yourself another opportunity for marring by doing so.

APDX
03-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Uh, morning dew happens. Not much you can do about it.

It isn't the morning dew I'm trying to fix, but the swipe marks I can see in the dew. (Might be difficult to see in the pics). Can't see them on all of the truck, so I figure I can make them go away.

Odisious -- Really interesting comment all around, especially the bit about WOWO not working for acrylics. Thanks! I will certainly pick up some DG bottles and play around. Might happen sooner rather than later!

We'll see how things look in the AM...

wing commander
03-10-2015, 12:52 AM
I had the same issues and called customer service and was told to use my quick detailer and a micro fiber towel and it will all buff away.It did but just made the same mistake again today(to much product applied)so I have to get out the pinnacle and spray and buff tomorrow.On one panel I purposefully applied so little that I could not see haze hardly.That turned out to be the best results.

808_detail_nut
03-10-2015, 02:39 AM
Once I got the application method down it makes it very easy. I have done more than a few cars with KSG and using a little 2 or 3 oz travel spray bottle fill it with KSG. Next grab a clean microfiber applicator then give it a quick spray. 2 to get started then 1 spray as you go. I go in 2 directions until I feel it glide over the surface easily. Then move on. At the end of the panel or half panel if it's large I remove. No streaks and you cannot over apply unless you go crazy spraying it on. As you spray try to cover the entire pad in one spray. Good luck. Here's a Tacoma I just did yesterday.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/10/d2dd0c021c69c54e4ddebfcf9dbe4721.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Desertnate
03-10-2015, 08:11 AM
I used KSG for nearly 10 years and would still get those swipe marks from time to time. Because it goes on so thin, those marks are really hard to see on light colored and/or highly metallic paint.

I'd try to remember where I saw those marks. When the vehicle dried out, I'd grab a flashlight and a little Sonus Acrylic Spritz and touch up all those spots.

wing commander
03-10-2015, 09:57 PM
I did a second application today making a effort to keep it light.It made all the difference,so much easier to shine without marks showing.