PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Lens Resurfacing

blconant
03-07-2015, 10:51 AM
I would like to know the products and methods that auto detailers have had good success with in bringing clarity and durability to headlight lenses that have hazed up, turned yellow or gotten cloudy over time.

I will start by saying that to get the best results and to have those results last the longest, the damaged hard coat must be completely removed and a new durable hard coat must be applied to the surface of the lens for a full lens restoration. There are various methods utilized for this type of auto service and I would like to know what some of are doing to accomplish this and do any of you have proof of it lasting more than (2) years.

Mantilgh
03-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Basically, if they are that bad. It's sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, then either coat with some form of 1K or 2K clear, or then compound, polish, and seal.

Lots of threads on the various methods to get the sanded or polished up, and similar for coatings. Follow the "Similar Thread" links at the bottom of this page, read and repeat.

I don't think you are going to get much proof on the 2yr durability question. I'm sure others would like that info also.

Mantilgh
03-07-2015, 01:31 PM
I also want to note something I think that should done as a first step.

Take a small brush and scrub around and above the light, and scrub up in the rubber seals. This is to remove any road debris that may be lodged in there and may come out while working on the light.

Typically water, sometimes with added soap as a lubricant, is used on the light while sanding and this may loosen this debris up, come out, and get trapped under your sand paper. Also the vibrations from machining could cause these to come out and get trapped under your compounding or finishing pad and ruin your work.

I have taken apart headlight assemblies and it is amazing how much sand and grit gets caught in there. The first light I took apart, which was previously pulled apart by someone else, looked like they dropped on the beach before the put it back together.