PDA

View Full Version : water spot removal

Pages : [1] 2

jocar
03-05-2015, 12:22 AM
I just recently purchased a black 2015 Honda accord, I washed it on Saturday in the sun and didn't dry it instead let the sun dry it.Huge mistake because now I am stuck with water spots on the car and they are hard to remove, any advice on how to remove them and avoid this problem in the future would be greatly appreciated. Somebody told me to use a spray wax, if this is true what kind would work the best?

BlackReign2014
03-05-2015, 12:28 AM
I'm not a professional but I would suggest washing it again, claying it, and applying your preference of LSP.

Breese147
03-05-2015, 12:39 AM
Wax will cover/ it if they are light try washing again and work from there to either cover with wax or a light polish

Rsurfer
03-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Use a water spot remover (MX7) and don't wash in the sun.

jocar
03-05-2015, 01:30 AM
I recently bought a 2015 black Honda accord recently, washed it in the sun on Saturday and let it dry in the sun. What a huge mistake as now I am stuck with hard to remove water stains, how would I remove these stains and how would I avoid this situation in the future. Somebody told me to use a spray wax, if this is so what would be the most appropriate what would be the best one to use, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Phillips
03-05-2015, 07:15 AM
Sorry to hear of this mishap....

Stories like this always make me wonder...

What's in the water?

In my opinion Type 3 water spots are one of the worst if not the worst types of paint defects there are to have to remove out of your 2 mil thin factory clear coat.

If you're lucky.... real lucky these will be simple imprint rings and not crater etchings.

Click my article below and take a look at the pictures and see if the spots on the paint of your car look like any of the pictures.

3 - Types of Water Spots - Type I, Type II and Type III (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/33499-3-types-water-spots-type-i-type-ii-type-iii.html)

The easiest type of water spots to remove are Type I - which are simple Mineral Deposits sitting ON TOP of the paint. If this is so then Optimum has a new product out that is basically a spray on, wipe off product.

So if you're lucky this will be a simple fix. Check out Nick's article here....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/88856-easy-way-remove-water-spots-optimum-mdr-water-spot-remover.html

Let us know what type of water spots you think you have after looking at the pictures in my article.

We'll be happy to help you remove them and then the lesson learned is never leave standing water on your car's finish.

:xyxthumbs:

HateSwirls
03-05-2015, 07:54 AM
I do my share of cars that have water spots on the paint.

First try a cleaner wax, maybe the Meguiar's White Wax, has some cleaning abilities and can be found over the counter.
Using a DA, if you have one start out with a white pad and the White Wax.
Do a test spot to see if it removes the water spots, if not go to a polish like Ultimate Polish, if still not get the results try the Ultimate Compound.

Guess what I'm saying is to start with the less aggressive.
Make sure to clay first.

Something else that may work is the over the counter Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, I used it a couple of times to remove water spots and worked for me.

If you have more advanced products then of course use what you have, just not sure what you have on hand.

Good luck with it, keep us updated.
Shoot me an email if you have any questions , you can call me also once you email me , I'd be happy to give you my cell:dblthumb2:

tuscarora dave
03-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Poorboy's World Polish with Sealant works really well to remove topical hard water mineral deposits. The original formula Pro Polish from Poorboy's works well too. They are both chemical polishes that work well at dissolving the minerals without abrading the paint. I used them for this purpose with great results many times.

If these are deep etchings, these products will not be the best choice for this, but it's a good product to start with using a soft polishing or finishing pad.

MI Mike
03-05-2015, 08:44 AM
I do my share of cars that have water spots on the paint.
First try a cleaner wax, maybe the Meguiar's White Wax, has some cleaning abilities and can be found over the counter. Using a DA, if you have one start out with a white pad and the White Wax. Do a test spot to see if it removes the water spots, if not go to a polish like Ultimate Polish, if still not get the results try the Ultimate Compound. Guess what I'm saying is to start with the less aggressive. Make sure to clay first. Something else that may work is the over the counter Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, I used it a couple of times to remove water spots and worked for me. If you have more advanced products then of course use what you have, just not sure what you have on hand. Good luck with it, keep us updated. Shoot me an email if you have any questions , you can call me also once you email me , I'd be happy to give you my cell:dblthumb2:

I agree with using the least aggressive. I have always wondered why the paint mfg. do not make a better clear coat.. Resistant to birds, chemicals, etc. Sure would help.

Souldetailer
03-05-2015, 10:39 AM
I just recently purchased a black 2015 Honda accord, I washed it on Saturday in the sun and didn't dry it instead let the sun dry it.Huge mistake because now I am stuck with water spots on the car and they are hard to remove, any advice on how to remove them and avoid this problem in the future would be greatly appreciated. Somebody told me to use a spray wax, if this is true what kind would work the best?

Hi, welcome.

If you TRULY want to take proper care of your car and keep it looking it's best, probably even better than when you bought it, spend some time on this forum. There are professionals, extremely knowledgable hobbyists and folks like me who are soaking up all the knowledge we can. You'll know wrong from right if you read enough on a particular subject. Time spent here is not wasted if you want to learn. Good luck & take care.

Peace,

Darrin

AZ Mike
03-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Here is an article that may help.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/76620-best-way-get-rid-water-spots.html

Jaretr1
03-05-2015, 10:51 AM
A great water spot remover is Spotless by Carpro. My dad's 2015 Accord came with water spots from the dealer :)

Mike Phillips
03-05-2015, 11:23 AM

I recently bought a 2015 black Honda accord recently, washed it in the sun on Saturday and let it dry in the sun. What a huge mistake as now I am stuck with hard to remove water stains, how would I remove these stains and how would I avoid this situation in the future. Somebody told me to use a spray wax, if this is so what would be the most appropriate what would be the best one to use, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi jocar,

I just found you made two identical posts. I merged them.

No need to make two posts for the same topic it just creates confusion on the forum.

Let us know how the water spot issue turns out...

:dblthumb2:

Danube
03-05-2015, 05:47 PM
I'd try vinegar diluted with water, it may surprise you.

;-))

Mike Phillips
03-06-2015, 07:36 AM
I'd try vinegar diluted with water, it may surprise you.

;-))

It might work and it might not...

Using Vinegar to remove water spots (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/52347-using-vinegar-remove-water-spots.html)

:)