PDA

View Full Version : Pdr after coating.

wrb_subie
03-03-2015, 07:08 AM
If a car is coated and gets paint less sent removal will negatively affect the area coated when the dent pops out. Is it pliable enough to withstand that type of force? Thanks in advance.

spiralout462
03-03-2015, 08:52 AM
I think I would polish and recoat the affected area just for piece of mind if nothing else.

Dr_Pain
03-03-2015, 09:11 AM
I would also polish and recoat as well. Although most coatings are heat resistant, I would say that the combination of heat on the panel (in the PDR process) and metal distortion from them pushing out the dent may disrupt the coating matrix enough to warrant a recoat (for peace of mind). Don't get me wrong, the coating will still perform but may not have the same life expectancy

wrb_subie
03-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys

aim4squirrels
03-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Eh, I've had PDR done with no additional heat added before. Completely depends on the type of dent, it's location, and/or skill set of the PDR technician.

Wet the panel. If the water behavior in that area appears different, polish and re-coat.

MikeC
03-03-2015, 06:32 PM
I can't imagine the coating being less flexible than the paint itself, but you could always recoat it to give you peace of mind.

RaskyR1
03-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Should be fine as long as it's not a glue pull and there is no additional tapping required on the paint side.

My only concern would be marring from the process, not the coating failing.

Mike Phillips
03-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Eh, I've had PDR done with no additional heat added before. Completely depends on the type of dent, it's location, and/or skill set of the PDR technician.

Wet the panel. If the water behavior in that area appears different, polish and re-coat.

I can't imagine the coating being less flexible than the paint itself, but you could always recoat it to give you peace of mind.

Should be fine as long as it's not a glue pull and there is no additional tapping required on the paint side.

My only concern would be marring from the process, not the coating failing.

:iagree: