PDA

View Full Version : Fight the "Schmier"

mactube
03-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Since I had my new car I haven't cleaned the inside ...
( Exept for the carpet, the inside stayed pretty clean.. I guess because around this time of the year the inside stays pretty clean, because I don't roll down the windows..)

.. so I just started to clean it.. my biggest issue ist :
Somebody had the bright idea to wipe over the dash board with one of those greasy interior wipes or cockpit detailer )like it was a 1965 Cadillac which interior suffered so much over the years, that the shine has to cover it up) before they let me drive of the lot .. but the fact is, I like a matt appearance of the brand new plastic / vinyl without the greasy "Schmier" on it. I have tried to get it off with winder cleaner since that usually loosens grease and doesn't leave resedue .. but with little success. So I'm looking for a tip to get the original new mad plastic look back.

I also had problems to clean the windows from the inside as there is a different kind of "Schmier" on it..
which doesn't come off with regular windex. Hope somebody has a tip for hat also.

( I call it Schmier because I don't really word for a greasy film ...:doh:)

Setec Astronomy
03-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Is it a Honda? They seem to have some sort of coating or some other weirdness on the inside of the windshield. As far as the other windows, that's going to be some sort of combination of the dirt that got on the glass before/during the assembly process and "vinyl fog" which is outgassing from the interior plastics of the car (new car smell, etc.). You'll need a good towel and an alcohol-based window cleaner.

For the dash a diluted APC to get the greasy kid stuff off.

mactube
03-01-2015, 09:12 PM
@setec astronomy , great I'll lock for an alcohol based window cleaner..
what do you think about rubbing alcohol ? ( For the Windows) ... the car is a Chevy Camaro . Do you have suggestion for a diluted APC ?

07gtcs
03-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Try a cleaner like Mothers VLR to see if it clears it up, then using your dressing of choice. Windows, use a mixture of vinegar and warm water. Clean with one window towel and dry with another one.

KyleWrap
03-02-2015, 03:45 PM
maybe blue down soap and a detail brush?? Then hit it with Sonax Matte Dashboard Cleaner

mactube
03-02-2015, 09:49 PM
ok thanks so far for the tip guys.. its currently raining in Cali ( no, they lied when they sang .. that) ass soon as it clears up I'll give it a rinse and quick wax and start with the interior and windows .. and let you guys know .

mactube
04-15-2015, 01:42 AM
I have tried original Windex, clorox glas wet wipes and also rubbing alcohol for the windows . The alcohol worked best but only with a lot of "elbow greace " meaning I had to use a lot of pressure with a microfiber rag to get the streaks off , so much that I figured its definitely to much effort .

I just now found these guys again who sold me this cleaning wax at a gas station before. I remember it worked pretty good maybe a little better than regular quick wax but they were using it on the windows too ( which sounds that it doesn't make sense because wax would leave streaks , right) Surprisingly it works very good and doesn't leave streaks when you keep changing the 2nd rag and keep using a clean one so there is no wax left on the rag when wiping off. ( You still have to use a lot off pressure, but works a lot better than anything else I tried before)

@KeyleWrap As far as the cockpit spray on the interior ... the hand some resolution worked fine I will still get the dash board matt cleaner soon.

Don M
04-15-2015, 05:52 AM
I've used Ultimate Quik Wax on my interior glass before with no issues ... good cleaning too.