PDA

View Full Version : Iron Removers?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Supergus1
03-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Has anyone done a comparison between Optimum FerreX, Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller, and Iron X? They are all pretty comparable in price but "there can be only one".

SYMAWD
03-01-2015, 05:13 PM
I haven't tried the 1st two that you mentioned, but I have compared Iron X to a few others and have found it to be excellent along with one other.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/87893-4-color-changing-wheel-cleaners-go-head-head.html

FUNX650
03-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Meguiar's "Dub" color-changing product has a
more favorable price tag than those you listed.

Bob

Supergus1
03-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Meguiar's "Dub" color-changing product has a
more favorable price tag than those you listed.

Bob
Bob,
Isn't the color changing product a wheel cleaner? Not sure if it's paint safe?

FUNX650
03-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Bob,
Isn't the color changing product a wheel cleaner?
Not sure if it's paint safe?
•Knowng that Meguiar's makes this product for the
Joe Lunch Bucket Consumer market;
-Then...therefore:
This DUB product's advertisement/usage would be
geared toward that specific Consumer market base.

Just a thought:
-Aren't many wheels clear-coated?
-Isn't clear-coat classified as a paint?

FWIW:
IronX, for example, is also used to "clean" wheels.

Bob

Mask
03-02-2015, 12:11 AM
^ +1

SYMAWD
03-02-2015, 12:21 AM
•Knowng that Meguiar's makes this product for the
Joe Lunch Bucket Consumer market;
-Then...therefore:
This DUB product's advertisement/usage would be
geared toward that specific Consumer market base.

Just a thought:
-Aren't many wheels clear-coated?
-Isn't clear-coat classified as a paint?

FWIW:
IronX, for example, is also used to "clean" wheels.

Bob

Yes, but not all wheel cleaners are great paint cleaners. For example, Sonax Full Effect does a rather bad job on paint while it works well on wheels. Who is to say that Dub Wheel Cleaner will perform well on paint?

VISITOR
03-02-2015, 12:28 AM
when in doubt, the one that has a proven track record would be iron-x. all the carpro products i've used have been top notch...

PiPUK
03-03-2015, 02:53 AM
In theory, all these bleeding iron removers are based around a single active ingredient. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. IX is the original and basically that is THE active it uses. Others have come along and used lower levels (it is extremely expensive!) and tried to bluff people. Others still have gone with using lower levels and trying to compensate with other actives which do a similar job, without the bleed, but are massively cheaper.

One thing that I think is worth noting is that our regulatory interpretation is that IX is as strong as you can reasonably make such a product, without putting yourself into a position where the product should really have a 'toxic' hazard associated with it.

My recollection from data sheets is that the megs and sonax products simply are not as concentrated as IX.

lawrenceSA
03-03-2015, 04:15 AM
In theory, all these bleeding iron removers are based around a single active ingredient. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. IX is the original and basically that is THE active it uses. Others have come along and used lower levels (it is extremely expensive!) and tried to bluff people. Others still have gone with using lower levels and trying to compensate with other actives which do a similar job, without the bleed, but are massively cheaper.

One thing that I think is worth noting is that our regulatory interpretation is that IX is as strong as you can reasonably make such a product, without putting yourself into a position where the product should really have a 'toxic' hazard associated with it.

My recollection from data sheets is that the megs and sonax products simply are not as concentrated as IX.

PiPUK, please may I tap into your chemical knowledge for a second.... is the ingredient that actually 'dissolves' the iron, the same ingredient that makes it change purple/red (or is this another ingredient all together, and if so, does it in any way alter the efficacy of the product).

The reason I ask is I was given a sample of an unknown (to me) iron remover to test. I sprayed half a wheel with AF Iron Out and the other half with this sample. The sample side had almost no bleeding whereas the AF product obviously did bleed.

Then I rinsed and resprayed the entire wheel with AF Iron out and both sides then bled equally, leading me to believe that although the sample iron remover never actually showed any signs of 'bleeding', it still removed the same amount of iron as the AF Iron out.

Personally I like the visual indicator that the color changing ingredient has, as it let's you know how much contamination is left on the surface but am curious as to how it all works.

Thanks in advance and apologies to the OP for the thread hijack

tpr1634
03-03-2015, 06:24 AM
when in doubt, the one that has a proven track record would be iron-x. all the carpro products i've used have been top notch...

I'll second that....................

Mask
03-03-2015, 12:19 PM
I had use iron x with excellent result.
I also notice this tacsystem Korea site which look interesting :D

Regards

swanicyouth
03-03-2015, 01:13 PM
I realize IronX is the most potent iron remover on the market, but I loathe cleaning wheels with it because it doesn't foam up or have any "lube" to it when you agitate it.

I much prefer using Dub or ColourTec for wheels.

For paint I prefer AF Iron Out or Iron X.

HUMP DIESEL
03-03-2015, 01:26 PM
I may be in a different boat, but I usually clean the wheels with a wheel cleaner or P21S Total Auto Wash first and then go back and use Iron X or Iron Out after to pull any embedded iron particles. Maybe I am different.

HUMP

tersplat
03-03-2015, 06:26 PM
DUB works great on paint. This is on a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. I'm fairly certain it had never had a fallout remover used on it, and I had this on hand, so I tried it.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/tersplat/Detailing%20pictures/10432998_550325868434323_7043249265230670653_n.jpg (http://s231.photobucket.com/user/tersplat/media/Detailing%20pictures/10432998_550325868434323_7043249265230670653_n.jpg .html)