PDA

View Full Version : Mezerna power Lock

punkndisorderly
02-28-2015, 10:33 AM
So, I've been using CG's Blacklight and Meg's Ultimate before that. Both wifey and I got new cars recently (2015 Impreza and 2015 WRX). Since I was about out of product, I got some Mezerna Power Lock. Put it on wifey's car last night.

So my question: what should it feel like?

It looks good, but since the car is only a week old and was custom built at the factory, it wasn't on the lot, I could probably have used butter and a rag and it would look good. The weird thing, it feels "dry" and almost gritty to the touch. I'm used to a totally different feel. Wax feels like wax, Meg's ultimate felt kind of slick and plasticy. Blacklight felt somewhere in between.

Power lock felt "greasy" going on, like I'm used to, but felt almost gritty when removed. Not at all what I've experienced before.

Temp was 40ish, so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Setec Astronomy
02-28-2015, 10:44 AM
How did the car feel before you put the Powerlock on? I realize the car is new and didn't sit on the lot, but a lot can happen to a car on the way to you. It may have sat outside at the factory for some time before it was shipped, it may have gotten contaminated in transit, and who knows what they did at the dealer to "prep" it.

Do you have any clay that you could try on a small spot as a test?

mcate
02-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Definitely sounds like the paint needs to be clayed, or otherwise decontaminated. Power Lock is my go-to sealant, & feels amazingly slick when applied to a properly clean surface.

Breese147
02-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Agreed^ always wash and clay your car before applying a wax or sealant

punkndisorderly
02-28-2015, 11:48 AM
The paint actually felt smoother before applying the Menzerna. I didn't really pay a lot of attention. Felt like clean paint When I was drying with my waffle weave towels and applying the Mez. Not freshley clayed/polished, but smooth.

It almost feels like bare slightly dirty paint now. Look great, just feels "odd".

Ebg18t
02-28-2015, 01:05 PM
I think the paint probably need to be prepped. I always liked powerlock [PL] and 2 coats provided nice smooth feel and fairly deep shine. I never felt like PL was rough or not smooth.

If the paint is clean try applying a 2nd coat.

Kamakaz1961
02-28-2015, 02:52 PM
I use Powerlock and it is a fantastic product. Based on what you are saying about "gritty" feel is that you did not clay or prep the car correctly. If you get a gritty feel it does not matter what you put on it; it is not prepped. Do the "BAGGIE" test to confirm. IMO it would FAIL that test.

I would prep the car better (wash, clay, compound/polish if need be) and then apply the sealant.

MarkD51
02-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Check what others have mentioned via baggie test, and the other is temps in the 40's I think is a bit borderline. That many products behave poorly, and then there are some you can away with.

Haven't tested Powerlock at such temps to confirm or not?

greatwhitenorth
02-28-2015, 06:14 PM
I have used Powerlock in 40-50 degree weather and it had no ill effects on the application, removal, and left the surface nice and slick like usual.

Kevin Cullen
03-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Prep of the surface for any sealant is always the most important step. I have used Power Lock many times with great success. I will add to this thread with this link: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/60869-menzerna-powerlock-little-test.html

Ecrissman
03-02-2015, 12:24 PM
PowerLock is amazing and your finish should be so smooth your microfiber towel will just slide off. If it doesn't feel that way your paint has contamination that needs cleaned off. Like everyone said above, clay the paint. Im pretty sure you are going to be blown away when you see how much filth was on your new car

sayroger
03-02-2015, 12:44 PM
They say you should clay twice a year, but i have found that every 3 to 4 months you should do a baggie test on your car you would be surprised how quick the contamination builds up on the cars paint. It also could be over spray. Power lock its self is super smooth when applied. I would baggie test before waxing or sealant.

Zubair
03-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Powerlock and BFWD feel super smooth until the first wash then its bye bye to the slickness but the gloss and protection is still there for months after.

MarkD51
03-02-2015, 02:08 PM
I in fact "powerlocked" my 2001 Kia Spectra yesterday afternoon by hand with a MF Applicator. (Since I do have a qt of this on hand)

I did use WGDGPS 3.0 almost a month ago as the LSP.

It may have been close to 60F degrees when applied. Product hazed-dried very quickly, I was able to remove it easily about 15 minutes after applying, confirmed by the simple swipe test. Felt smooth after.

Was "draggy" applying though, I think a foam applicator is a better choice rather than MF IMO.