PDA

View Full Version : Need menzerna compound/polish recommendations for black GT-R with dreaded scratchshield

DaveJustDave
02-27-2015, 03:33 AM
Now I've read will@prodetail's post that has been floating around.. I understand the need to keep panels cool due to the the factory scratchshield coating and will be using a lot of iced distilled water.

A few bits of info
1. Car is black, with mild swirls, a couple of deep scratches, RIDS everwhere.

2. Using a rupes 21 and a griots (with 3.5" backing plate)

3. afterwards I will be coating with either Opti Gloss Coat or Gtechniq EXO

COMPOUND/POLISH
Since I have an investment in Menzerna products, I'd like to stick with this product line. Not sure what I should start with? Nissan clear is relatively soft, so I'm thinking of starting with PG1000, then go to FF3000, and then SF4500. Or is this too many steps?

Another alternative I've considered is SIP1500 and then SF4500.

PADS
Can someone help me pick pads for the compounding and polish steps?

- microfiber or foam? I have the megs MF cutting discs and surbuff pads, but they never seemed to work as well as foam for me. Maybe I'm using them wrong.

- what brand/type of pads for which?

thanks in advance!

lawrenceSA
02-27-2015, 06:33 AM
I do not think PG1000 is a good choice - if you are looking for a compound like this FG400 is a MUCH better option.

That being said, with the soft paint on these cars I don't think you will even need something that aggressive.

Do a test spot with SF4000 and see if you are getting the level of correction you need. If not you could then step up to PF2500 and only if you are not coming right with PF2500 would you then step it up to FG400.

In terms of maximizing gloss, you will, if you land up using FG400 or PF2500, need to follow up with SF4000.

So you could potentially be in for a 1-step using SF4000 or a 2 step using PF2500 followed by SF4000 or FG400 followed by SF4000.

As far as pads go, I am a lake country and Flex 3401 user so can't really make recommendations for the Rupes, except to say that you should try and use the least aggressive pad that you can get away with, in any of the steps, as this will mitigate any potential marring from the pad itself on the softer Nissan paint.

As you are trying to mitigate introducing heat into the equation (due to the scratch shield paint), just remember that FG400 actually prefers to be worked at a slower speed (3 on the Flex 3401) and this will help reduce heat and keep dusting at bay. PF2500 and SF4000 kinda like it a bit faster (around the 4.5 to 5.5 speed range [again on the flex - not sure about the Rupes])

Hope this helps a bit....

HUMP DIESEL
02-27-2015, 07:32 AM
lawrenceSA basically hit the nail on the head. Start low go high. You can do alot with PF2500 and different pads, so if you use a light pad and don't get the correction, step up to a medium pad and see what that does.

HUMP

Matt@Revive
02-27-2015, 09:18 AM
I stick with FG400, pf2500, sf4000. i have had a lot of success with PF2500 on a Rupes yellow pad as a one step on GTR's. FG400 with Meguiars MF cutting pad and sf4000 with a Rupes Yellow pad as a 2 step.

Kamakaz1961
02-27-2015, 10:28 AM
I have had great success with Menzerna FG400 for compounding and SF4500 for polishing. That being said, the majority of the people here on AGO prefer SF4000 as their polish. I have both and I am in the minority.

But either way, you can't go wrong with that combo. IMO that is one of the best. Try that and see what I mean.

DaveJustDave
02-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info guys!.. I've tried following Menzerna's chart, but it really seems that it doesn't tell the entire story. When you move up to lower numbers it doesn't just mean it cuts better.. they seem to all finish differently, and some of them seem to work better on hard clear coats than others regardless of the number.

Several of you have suggested PF2500 so I will try that first with either a yellow or orange pad. If that doesn't work, should I move directly to FG400 (on a yellow LC or perhaps a blue Rupes pad?) or something else inbetween?

lawrence, you indicated PG1000 isn't very good. Why is that? Is it due to cutting ability or how it finishes? I recently tried PG1000 on hard audi clearcoat and it was so-so, wasn't thrilled with it. It was kind of greasy, dusted quite a bit, and in the end didn't remove as much imperfections as I would have liked.

Has anyone tried SIP1500 for anything? In what cases would that be a good fit?

I had done a test panel with FF3000 and a LC green pad and it pretty much did nothing. Not sure if it was the scratchshield acting up or because the combo didn't have enough cut.

I have used the Megs MF cutting discs in the past, but even though I kept blowing the pad with compressed air, the fibers would clump together pretty quickly and form these hard spots on the pad - thats why I don't think i was using them right.

Matt@Revive
02-27-2015, 01:40 PM
between fg400, pf2500 and the sf4000/4500 you should be able to get the job done. i wasn't a fan of the Rupes blue pad, but i don't like hard foam pad.

as far as the Megs MF pads clumping, i've found that using a MF conditioning brush before blowing out the pad helps loosen the compound.

HUMP DIESEL
02-27-2015, 01:41 PM
SIP1500 is a great one as well, initially developed for harder clears, it can be used as a great heavier polish. I actually used it on a yellow Rupes pad after sanding my hood to remove the sanding and leave a beautiful shine.

HUMP

cardaddy
02-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the info guys!.. I've tried following Menzerna's chart, but it really seems that it doesn't tell the entire story. When you move up to lower numbers it doesn't just mean it cuts better.. they seem to all finish differently, and some of them seem to work better on hard clear coats than others regardless of the number.

Several of you have suggested PF2500 so I will try that first with either a yellow or orange pad. If that doesn't work, should I move directly to FG400 (on a yellow LC or perhaps a blue Rupes pad?) or something else inbetween?...

Has anyone tried SIP1500 for anything? In what cases would that be a good fit?

I have used the Megs MF cutting discs in the past, but even though I kept blowing the pad with compressed air, the fibers would clump together pretty quickly and form these hard spots on the pad - thats why I don't think i was using them right.

You didn't mention what Nissan you're working on. (Some are not as soft as others, some have that crazy 'self healing' paint).

None the less, YES they are generally ones that scratch if you look at them funny. :rolleyes:

Do not, DO - NOT go to a yellow LC, or that insane blue Rupes pad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do.... it'll be a nightmare!

The Menzerna chart is fairly straight forward though in what cuts, and how it finishes. What is somewhat redundant though is how crazy the cut/to/finish numbers are. :dunno:

You mentioned IP1500. That's one fairly good all around product from Menzerna. Doesn't cut as hard as 1000 or 400 which means it'll be much less likely to end up micro-marring. Although... it doesn't have that magical built-in quality of FG400 to finish down so darned nice.

With that Nissan paint you WILL have to jump to FF4000 after whatever compound you use. I'd try it with 2000/2500 and see what happens first. After that, 1500 with an orange pad would be the MOST cut I'd try. (Always try that with a lesser pad first, like the white LC pads.)

As for the Megs MF pads. You would want to first, prime them completely, wetting all the fibers, using your fingers to work it in, then move it around, perhaps even taking a brush to it. Then do a section no more than 4x4 pad width/height. Go over that section no more than 4 times. THEN pull the pad off the paint, use air, starting at the outside, working in... then while it's still spinning, go from the inside, working out. Repeat spinning in the opposite direction, inside out, outside in!

Next section, THREE (maybe 4) pea sized drops. NO MORE than that. The pad will 'lay down' and get flat, but as long as you don't do too much at a time it'll be fine.

All of this is with D300 of course. They work great with a SMAT type product, haven't even thought about using something like FG400 with them. ;)

FWIW, If I had to have only 3 Menzerna compound/polish products they'd be 400, 2000, 4000. That's plenty of overlap with cutting and two of their VERY BEST finishing products. :xyxthumbs:

DaveT435
02-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Do you already have the EXO? I think that stuff is on back order everywhere.