PDA

View Full Version : Wax application experiment

Bigfoot
08-25-2007, 06:17 PM
I've been reading a lot lately abou the Zymol high-end waxes application process, a.k.a. bare handed. I wanted to check out if one of the most popular waxes could be applied the exact same way as the Zymol line. So today finally I was able to wash my car and give it a shot with NB. I had to see if it was good or bad for my pain to do so, and how much would it take to do a section.

First of all, I was working on low 80's today with a relatively high humidity (80+%). I decided to take a pea sized chunk out of the jar and see if it would melt on my hands. To my surprise it did, but I saw my hands very oily, which I was expecting to some point. I decided to then apply it on the driver side rear-view mirror by bare hand and on the other side with a MF applicator. The drivers side was covered very even, but the passenger side was uneven. So I decided to wipe off after it became hazed, and both sides came out woderfully, but for some reason, the right side was a notch easier.

The looks were the same on both sides, but I kinda liked the hand application. I might go for it next time I wax my car completely.

Joey

Tonya
08-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Good to know! Thanks for the useful information. Interesting!

ScottB
08-25-2007, 09:52 PM
how well did your hands bead water, truthfully I have tried it both ways and prefer the foamy applicators. My hands feel funny all afternoon otherwise.

Thejoyofdriving
08-26-2007, 04:00 AM
I think its kinda cool to apply wax with your bare hands! it wouldnt work with something like SSII but its interesting. How did you wash you hands off?

Bigfoot
08-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Tonya-Glad you liked the review

Killr-My hands had some serious beading after I applied the wax. I was surprised how easy the wax melted on my hands. And yes, my hands fell funny afterwards.

Joy-I had to use dishwashing liquid to take it out, because not even handsoap was able to take it out.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Waxing by hand while some will argue is not the most efficient method is fun...

I tend to use latex gloves beacause as has been said it does leave your hands feeling coated for about 24hrs.

I like to seal wheels by hand.. It's a great way to get in the nooks and crannies!

It also gives a very high end feel if you want to impress a customer that is "watching"

CalgaryDetail
08-26-2007, 05:46 PM
it seams you either love or hate applying by hand.. I find the more I do it the more I love it.
It is fun, kinda cool to massage the wax onto the car. Plus you get people comming over and asking what on earth you are doing.

Like mentioned latex gloves help to keep the hands clean.
The latex gloves seam to work best becseu they are so thin. I have never tried with the blue neoprene(I think) gloves.so i cannot comment but the thin latex gloves work well

Surfer
08-26-2007, 06:46 PM
I must be lazy...I just put some wax on a 4" blue Edge pad with the PC and go to work:D

Bigfoot
08-26-2007, 07:25 PM
I must be lazy...I just put some wax on a 4" blue Edge pad with the PC and go to work:D

I was going to tdo that, but I decided to try it with my bare hands, which I liked...

Thejoyofdriving
08-26-2007, 07:30 PM
I think from a physics stand point by machine is the most effective way, i believe it delivers the most constand coat and it is a whole lot faster. But by hand is way cooler, it sucks i cant do it with SSII...