PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a 4 post lift for detailing?

shinyfenders
02-25-2015, 08:56 PM
I’ve been looking at a Bendpak Mid-Rise Scissor Lift - Model# MD-6XP‎ for detailing. I’m getting more and more requests to remove all the wheels, detail frames, suspension components, and under carriages. Some of these cars have airbrush work under the cars. Many of my friends suggest I get a 4-post lift. I think a 4-post lift will only get in my way. Any feedback would be appreciated.

MPBGT
02-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Usually when your doing that much work under a car you go with a 2 post. It allows better access to the components.
I've never used one for detailing but have used a 2 post for working on cars. It's a back saver.

oldmodman
02-26-2015, 01:04 AM
I got a BendPak 4 post lift for exactly the same reason. I had to have back surgery and after stooping over for even 10 minutes I was thinking it was time to quit.

Now I just raise and lower the cars to get the area I want to work on directly in front of me. Plus it sure makes it easier to change oil and clean the underside of a car.

But a four post lift is not the life if you want to remove wheels or work on the suspension.
For that a two post asymmetrical lift is the way to go.

shinyfenders
02-26-2015, 05:35 PM
Great feedback, thanks. I’ve used a 2-post while working on my C5 and found it made me a bit nervous. Also, I’m not convinced my concreate is thick enough to meet the minimum requirements. Mid-rise and 4-post lifts are more in my comfort zone. My concern is will the runways and posts (4-post) be in my way while working on the upper portion of the car/truck. I love the idea of getting all my cars in the garage when I’m not working on a friends show car. That’s also a very good point about not being the best option for removing wheels or working on the suspension. Wife says “build another garage” but I’m not sure how long we will live here. Guess I have some thinking to do. Thanks again for the feedback !

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
02-26-2015, 06:16 PM
Anyway you can find a 4 post lift and test a couple common cars on it? What about a scissor lift? I know it limits the under carriage detailing some, but it is cheaper and you can get the wheels off and the car can then move to you, versus you moving to accommodate the car.

FUNX650
02-26-2015, 06:45 PM
According to plans:
Will be doing so, very soon.

Bob

frankprozzoly
02-26-2015, 07:33 PM
The quick jack looks very cool just for rotating tires and oil changes.

shinyfenders
02-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Anyway you can find a 4 post lift and test a couple common cars on it? What about a scissor lift? I know it limits the under carriage detailing some, but it is cheaper and you can get the wheels off and the car can then move to you, versus you moving to accommodate the car.

That's another great idea.

According to plans:
Will be doing so, very soon.

Bob

:D

The quick jack looks very cool just for rotating tires and oil changes.

Never heard of it. Google'd it. Very interesting. Thanks !