PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to use post wash spray wax/QD?

DM1506
08-25-2007, 12:18 PM
I've heard many of you say that you dry the car then use a spray wax/QD as well as some of you seem to spray the car with wax/QD while still wet to avoid drying swirls....?

What's the best way...does it really matter?
thanks...
David

Reddwarf
08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
I typically spray with a QD after drying and use a good MF (like a Cobra). That way I get any water and water spots I may have missed while drying.

ScottB
08-25-2007, 03:13 PM
I believe that the less you touch a finish, the less likely it is to swirl. So being forced to dry a vehicle, and thus touch the finish, I have designed a way that leaves the least amount of marring.

1. A good Leaf Blower , also gets the water out of cracks

2. A nice qd'er, something that works equally well with a slightly damp finish

3. A guzzler (mf ww) used as lightly as possible and only in straight lines.

DM1506
08-25-2007, 05:13 PM
So Killr...to be clear, you do leave it wet (after blowing it), spray it with QD then dry with guzzler?

ricka
08-25-2007, 05:39 PM
To me, the easiest/foolproof way is doing the drying/QD in the shade. A hot surface will haze or flash the QD too quickly removing any lubrication in it. On a cool surface the lubricant works nicely and goes on and off like butter.

In addition, pay attention to the pressure. Very light on the MF and let it "glide" over the paint. Nice sensation too feeling the MF slide across the surface--its the reward along with the glossy finish that makes us smile after cleaning our cars.

Haven't had any marring problems yet using it this way--even QD between washes.

Jimmie
08-25-2007, 05:44 PM
I QD after drying. I don't know which QD's work well with H2O, besides AW.

ScottB
08-25-2007, 10:07 PM
So Killr...to be clear, you do leave it wet (after blowing it), spray it with QD then dry with guzzler?

I would not use the word wet, lightly damp with very small beads. If you want to see actual pics, do a search on a post I did on how to detail a C6 Corvette properly. Its a sticky somewhere here.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/PICT0047.JPG
this is a pic from post, look at far corner and see how little water is left. Now look just behind the bottle/towel and see the mist added.

dontsleeponit
08-25-2007, 10:48 PM
killr does that bottle say PB spray and wipe or PB spray and gloss? I just got both of them and they both look more green then the stuff in the bottle in you picture.

ScottB
08-26-2007, 08:54 AM
its spray/wipe, I buy it by the gallon. I do add about 4 ounces of water to a full bottle otherwise I experience some light streaking. Spray/Gloss is quite a bit brighter in color and has a super fruity smell.

The reason Spray/Wipe was being used was because I was doing a full detail after the drying stage. I did not want any gloss or additional lubricants on paint to mess with polish stage. If just washing/drying then I would have used the Spray/Gloss or one of many other qd'er+'s .

dontsleeponit
08-26-2007, 11:46 AM
:cool: I gotcha