PDA

View Full Version : Flex or Rupes

Whitewater25
02-21-2015, 02:37 PM
I know they are both good machines but if you could only pick one,which would you choose & why?

Rsurfer
02-21-2015, 02:42 PM
I know they are both good machines but if you could only pick one,which would you choose & why?

Did you use the search function? Must be a dozen or so threads on this subject.

Kamakaz1961
02-21-2015, 02:51 PM
OH Man!! There are so many Rupes vs Flex that will make your head spin.

Me I am a Flex 3401 guy (as well as their new Flex PE8 Kompakt). IMO, there is no other DA (3401) on the market like the Flex. It is the ONLY Forced Rotational DA. Everything else is a free floating DA including Rupes.

The Flex 3401 is more versatile than the Rupes. With the Flex all you need are their interchangeable Backing Plates (Lake Country and Flex) from 4" to 6.5" Backing Plates. You can use 4" (very carefully) to 7.5" Pads. The Lake Country Hybrids will do wonders for the Flex. Their 5" and 6.5" pads make you look like a pro. Additionally, you can use practically any other type pads too. It is a very versatile machine and is a workhorse. It will reduce your correcting time by at least 50% when compared to the PC7424 XP.

With the Rupes, you have to buy their system. Their DA's are great, however, there is less flexibility when you want to use just 1 DA. Most pads that are not designed for the Rupes usually break apart. Rupes can stop spinning if you are on a curved panel. Additionally, the Rupes cost $$ than a Flex and their Backing Plate options are limited.

Now that being said....the Rupes and the Flex are the 2 BEST DA's out there today. All other DA's are not as good as the 2 mentioned.

Both will require some learning experience, however, once mastered, you will be extremely happy.

Either way you cannot go wrong with either machine. It is just your choice.

If I were you, look at all the POSTS for Flex vs Rupes....there is a whole bunch and your post is about the 100th one!!....LOL

Good luck on your decision and either one you choose will still be an excellent choice.

DaveT435
02-21-2015, 03:19 PM
After a couple years on this forum reading all the info I could I ended up going with the Flex. After using my PC for years I wanted more power and like the idea of forced rotation. I also just ordered the PE8. plan on getting rid of my PC and rotary and just using these two.

MarkB
02-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Flex

tedj101
02-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Most people talk about the smoothness of the Rupes and the forced rotation of the Flex. There is another benefit to the Rupes Perhaps the biggest reason that I went with the Rupes is that you don't need to maintain downward pressure on the machine to get the desired effect. The reduced effort makes a big difference particularly on a big vehicle such as my truck. As an older sort, that and the smoothness make a big difference.

Having said that, I still use my PC for about 20% of every car - usually with 3" pads for the tighter stuff and the trickier curves.

Just one man's view:

<TED>

Kamakaz1961
02-21-2015, 03:59 PM
After a couple years on this forum reading all the info I could I ended up going with the Flex. After using my PC for years I wanted more power and like the idea of forced rotation. I also just ordered the PE8. plan on getting rid of my PC and rotary and just using these two.

I have the PE8 and you will love it. You will need to get used to the grabbing and pulling as it does not stop. Additionally, if you perfect your technique...you can not make any holograms with a rotary. However, I am still trying to master the technique and I feel I still have a ways to go.

All that being said....keep your PC7424XP handy. I will still use the PC and with the right adapters you can go down to the 1" BP with it from all the stuff the PE 8 has.

I have not mastered the rotary and even though I am getting competent I still will have the PC as a back up to remove holograms caused by the rotary (if any).

That would just me my input on not getting rid of it. Keep it in your arsenal.

DaveT435
02-21-2015, 04:11 PM
I have the PE8 and you will love it. You will need to get used to the grabbing and pulling as it does not stop. Additionally, if you perfect your technique...you can not make any holograms with a rotary. However, I am still trying to master the technique and I feel I still have a ways to go.

All that being said....keep your PC7424XP handy. I will still use the PC and with the right adapters you can go down to the 1" BP with it from all the stuff the PE 8 has.

I have not mastered the rotary and even though I am getting competent I still will have the PC as a back up to remove holograms caused by the rotary (if any).

That would just me my input on not getting rid of it. Keep it in your arsenal.

I appreciate that. I may. Haven't really decided. I really don't do that many vehicles, although looking at my products you sure would think I made my living detailing lol, I do have the adapter, extension, and assortment of plates and pads from 1" up. I guess it would be a good idea to hold on to the PC at least until I make sure I can leave a good finish with the PE8. Thanks for the advice.

ryandamartini
02-21-2015, 06:52 PM

Hey surfer, :D What's up buddy?

On topic,

My personal opinion is the FLEX. I like having more options than what RUPES provides. My 0.02.

RPM_BR
02-21-2015, 08:19 PM
OH Man!! There are so many Rupes vs Flex that will make your head spin.

Me I am a Flex 3401 guy (as well as their new Flex PE8 Kompakt). IMO, there is no other DA (3401) on the market like the Flex. It is the ONLY Forced Rotational DA. Everything else is a free floating DA including Rupes.

The Flex 3401 is more versatile than the Rupes. With the Flex all you need are their interchangeable Backing Plates (Lake Country and Flex) from 4" to 6.5" Backing Plates. You can use 4" (very carefully) to 7.5" Pads. The Lake Country Hybrids will do wonders for the Flex. Their 5" and 6.5" pads make you look like a pro. Additionally, you can use practically any other type pads too. It is a very versatile machine and is a workhorse. It will reduce your correcting time by at least 50% when compared to the PC7424 XP.

With the Rupes, you have to buy their system. Their DA's are great, however, there is less flexibility when you want to use just 1 DA. Most pads that are not designed for the Rupes usually break apart. Rupes can stop spinning if you are on a curved panel. Additionally, the Rupes cost $$ than a Flex and their Backing Plate options are limited.

Now that being said....the Rupes and the Flex are the 2 BEST DA's out there today. All other DA's are not as good as the 2 mentioned.

Both will require some learning experience, however, once mastered, you will be extremely happy.

Either way you cannot go wrong with either machine. It is just your choice.

If I were you, look at all the POSTS for Flex vs Rupes....there is a whole bunch and your post is about the 100th one!!....LOL

Good luck on your decision and either one you choose will still be an excellent choice.

Sir, bullseye. The only thing I would humbly add is if you work as a detailer, you will probably need it both (and also a good rotary like the PE14) since they complement each other, but if my shop were catching fire, I would grab my 3401.

SonOfOC
02-21-2015, 08:37 PM
Use search function, there's a million thread on the subject. Still can't decide, then try to find someone with those machines to get some hands on time. Still, can't decide, then buy both. I have the Flex 3401, Rupes 15, 21, mini. None of those are my favorite. Everyone has their preference.

dlc95
02-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Use search function, there's a million thread on the subject. Still can't decide, then try to find someone with those machines to get some hands on time. Still, can't decide, then buy both. I have the Flex 3401, Rupes 15, 21, mini. None of those are my favorite. Everyone has their preference.

Agreed.

It's really difficult to assess them without trying them out first hand.

When I want to find something out, I usually type in the subject and autogeek.

Example: Flex vs. Rupes Autogeek.

KMdef9
02-21-2015, 09:22 PM
The summary of most, if not all the threads, on this subject is Flex. Unless your loaded and want 3 machines, then go Rupes.

If you want to get ride of your pc, pm me. I'm looking for one.

VISITOR
02-21-2015, 09:32 PM
Use search function, there's a million thread on the subject.

:iagree: