PDA

View Full Version : Hydro2 vs Traditional AIO

Pages : [1] 2 3

jarred767
02-21-2015, 10:23 AM
So, I feel like I might be a little late to the Hydro2 party, but better late than never:xyxthumbs: After a ton of research, I think it's something I definitely NEED to add to my services and I'm thinking of having it replace my traditional AIO package, but curious to your thoughts.

Right now I use D151 or M66 for simple wash and wax packages (usually use a Megs yellow pad so not much correcting going on - this is for customers who want "clean and shiny"). I'm thinking of replacing that package with Hydro2 and trying to figure out the cost differences.

Biggest question is roughly how many standard-sized cars can you get out of a regular 32 oz bottle of already diluted Hydro2? I've only sampled the product on some wheels, but I'm sold and want to do my homework before switching things up.

Other question, would you charge more or less or the same for Hydro2 vs a traditional AIO? Hydro2 will be much faster to apply and it sounds like gloss and protection are better or at least similar, but there's no correction at all compared to a little with an AIO.

Curious as to your thoughts, thanks guys!

WRAPT C5Z06
02-21-2015, 10:46 AM
There would definitely be a time savings with Hydro2, as you wouldn't be polishing at all. As you stated, you'll obviously get zero correction with Hydro2, so I'm not sure how you could compare Hydro2 to an AIO as a direct replacement?

dcjredline
02-21-2015, 10:55 AM
I dont think Hydro2 should replace an AIO. They are 2 different things. Hydro2 DOES have protection I dont know why ZL1 says 0 protection from Hydro.

Hydro should maybe be your topper for a package that isnt getting an AIO not replace the AIO in your package.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-21-2015, 11:01 AM
I dont think Hydro2 should replace an AIO. They are 2 different things. Hydro2 DOES have protection I dont know why ZL1 says 0 protection from Hydro.

Hydro should maybe be your topper for a package that isnt getting an AIO not replace the AIO in your package.
I meant correction.

Jaretr1
02-21-2015, 11:03 AM

He probably meant zero Correction. I know occasionally I think one word and type another.

An AIO already includes protection, so no need to use anything after that. If you are doing any type of polishing or paint cleaning, and then adding protection, then you could use Hydro2 as a replacement for whatever you are currently using as your protection step. I am not a pro, so I never worry about cost, but a little hydro2 goes a long way as its diluted 3-1. A 4oz sprayer is what I use and I can do an entire car with one of those with a little left over.

jarred767
02-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Thanks so far guys! I get that hydro2 isn't a direct replacement, but I'm starting everything over and don't necessarily need a "direct replacement" just trying to think outside the box on best offerings for customers and most efficient for me. It would be my 2nd level detail (out of 4).

1: Maintenace: wash and spray wax
2: Basic detail: wash, quick clay, sealant (hydro2)
3: Full detail: wash, full clay and decon, full polish, longer lasting sealant (ie BFWD)
4: Paint correction: based on customers needs/wants/budget

Does it make sense in a lineup like that? It seems to me that it would, but I don't have the experience with it.

So should I expect to use 3-4oz of diluted product per car on average?

Pureshine
02-21-2015, 12:19 PM
I use an AIO as on add on to my exterior detail and complete detail for $100 and for people who can't afford to pay for paint correction. Hydro2 is a big $$$$$ maker for me and use it on my exterior detail and complete detail.

flatstick
02-21-2015, 12:26 PM
I would say you are charging for a wash and seal with Hydro2.

The Critic
02-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Hydro2 is a wash/seal. The problem with Hydro is that it doesn't fill enough for most cars, and the level of slickness is not at the level that most discerning customers expect.

jarred767
02-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Hydro2 is a wash/seal. The problem with Hydro is that it doesn't fill enough for most cars, and the level of slickness is not at the level that most discerning customers expect.

I don't think its a wash, just a sealant. Pretty sure you still have to wash first.

Well...I'm a little surprised to be honest. I've read so many amazing things about Hydro2 on these forums and so far only one guy is really a fan and thinks it would fit (thanks Todd:xyxthumbs:) is this just a bad representation, or why not much love for it in this thread? Is it the way I proposed using it? Remember, this is a basic wash/wax type of package for people who want a "clean and shiny" car. Not someone who really wants their car taken care of in the right way according to the standards by most on this site. (We are in the minority) :D

Nick McKees37
02-21-2015, 02:19 PM
I've only had positive experiences using Hydro2 on vehicles that are very clean. What I mean by that is a vehicle that's been clayed (to remove above surface contaminants) and polished (to remove below surface contaminants).

If you apply it to a car that's never been polished, claying is not enough prep for Hydro2 in my experience. If the vehicle is brand spankin' new, then claying will be sufficient, but for anything else you will want to somehow incorporate a polishing step to cleanse the paint of embedded dirt, road film, etc.

The Critic
02-21-2015, 02:40 PM
I don't think its a wash, just a sealant. Pretty sure you still have to wash first.

Well...I'm a little surprised to be honest. I've read so many amazing things about Hydro2 on these forums and so far only one guy is really a fan and thinks it would fit (thanks Todd:xyxthumbs:) is this just a bad representation, or why not much love for it in this thread? Is it the way I proposed using it? Remember, this is a basic wash/wax type of package for people who want a "clean and shiny" car. Not someone who really wants their car taken care of in the right way according to the standards by most on this site. (We are in the minority) :D

Sorry - I meant that Hydro2 belongs in a wash/seal type package.

I've gone thru a good amount of Hydro2 in a variety of settings, so I feel qualified to comment on the product.

Here are the issues at hand, IMO:

1) Performance - The average consumer expects their car to be glossy/slick after a detailing service. In order for the car to be glossy, most "trashed" cars will need a product that fills substantially in order to accomplish this. Hydro2 leaves the car smooth, but it is not "slick" - OCW and Reload are significantly better in this area.

2) Cost - This is a big one. The average car will take between 4-6 oz of mixed solution, which is between 1-1.5 oz of Hydro. On average, this is about $5/car in product cost...compared to about 60 cents per car for OCW (assuming 2oz used). Sure, there's a time savings with Hydro2 - but how long does it really take to wipe down a car with a spray sealant?

3) Water usage - Hydro2 requires a traditional hose, lots of water and very good water pressure (or else it doesn't bond well). This may be an issue for Detailers in many areas.

Charleston
02-21-2015, 03:59 PM
2 completely different things.

Are you asking if you should not offer any swirl reduction and instead just a sealant?

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-21-2015, 04:26 PM
The only wax in my cabinet is Megs Gold Class to top AIO jobs. Hydr02 is used for my wash, Clay, & wax packages. The time, materials, and labor it saves more than pays for cost per application increase over wax. Plus, gloss and protection last longer. You can do a full ste sedan with 2 oz. many people actually overuse.

jarred767
02-21-2015, 04:34 PM
Sorry - I meant that Hydro2 belongs in a wash/seal type package.

I've gone thru a good amount of Hydro2 in a variety of settings, so I feel qualified to comment on the product.

Here are the issues at hand, IMO:

1) Performance - The average consumer expects their car to be glossy/slick after a detailing service. In order for the car to be glossy, most "trashed" cars will need a product that fills substantially in order to accomplish this. Hydro2 leaves the car smooth, but it is not "slick" - OCW and Reload are significantly better in this area.

2) Cost - This is a big one. The average car will take between 4-6 oz of mixed solution, which is between 1-1.5 oz of Hydro. On average, this is about $5/car in product cost...compared to about 60 cents per car for OCW (assuming 2oz used). Sure, there's a time savings with Hydro2 - but how long does it really take to wipe down a car with a spray sealant?

3) Water usage - Hydro2 requires a traditional hose, lots of water and very good water pressure (or else it doesn't bond well). This may be an issue for Detailers in many areas.

Thanks I appreciate the first hand advice. OCW is actually the product I was deciding between it and Hydro2, so that's awesome to hear the comparison. I might just have to get some of both and do some tests to see them in person.

I've only had positive experiences using Hydro2 on vehicles that are very clean. What I mean by that is a vehicle that's been clayed (to remove above surface contaminants) and polished (to remove below surface contaminants).

If you apply it to a car that's never been polished, claying is not enough prep for Hydro2 in my experience. If the vehicle is brand spankin' new, then claying will be sufficient, but for anything else you will want to somehow incorporate a polishing step to cleanse the paint of embedded dirt, road film, etc.

Thanks nick, so if you need to polish first, how much time savings is there really as then your essentially resoaking the car to apply Hydro2 and the redrying it, might as well just put a traditional sealant on it???

2 completely different things.

Are you asking if you should not offer any swirl reduction and instead just a sealant?

I listed what my intentions were earlier, it would be more of a base package for people who just want a clean and protect/shiny type of package.

1: Maintenace: wash and spray wax
2: Basic detail: wash, quick clay, sealant (hydro2)
3: Full detail: wash, full clay and decon, full polish, longer lasting sealant (ie BFWD)
4: Paint correction: based on customers needs/wants/budget