PDA

View Full Version : Are these the signs a of proper coating?

Pages : [1] 2

dcoy
02-20-2015, 08:18 PM
A few weeks ago I got a coating applied to my brand new M3. I don't know the temperature it was applied in but it was put in a 30-40 degree dry garage for 15 hours after.

I have taken the car on a few ski trips and driven through wet and dirty roads. The car seems to be a magnet for dirt. It looks like the dirtiest car on the road in the area.

It does not seems to bead at all. I attached pictures of its dirtiest point on the trip and a few after I just washed the car.

I want to apply the pinnacle black label coating. Would it be ok to apply the surface prep coating and then the glass coating? Also, if the coating is applied in 60 degree garage, can it enter a colder garage to set? Any tips are appreciated.

:D

Eandras
02-20-2015, 08:41 PM
What coating did you apply. What was your process?

dcoy
02-20-2015, 08:48 PM
What coating did you apply. What was your process?
I took it to a detail shop for the coating and don't know the exact brand. I was sort wondering if this is what a proper coating should look like when clean and when dirty. I thought it was supposed to bead a bit more and the dirt and grime would not stick as much to the surface.

conman1395
02-20-2015, 08:51 PM
How are you washing the car? What was the behavior like shortly after the coating was applied? Was it coated in at least 68 degree ambient temperature?
What coating did you have applied?

dcoy
02-20-2015, 09:01 PM
I washed the car using proper methods and with chemical guys body wash shampoo. The coat acted the same way a few days after the coating was applied.
I don't know the temperature the coating was applied but I'm quite positive it was not 68 degrees(it was just above freezing outside). I believe this was the main problem. I don't know the exact coating that was applied but will find out.

Eandras
02-20-2015, 09:02 PM
Not all coatings bead. That is why I asked what the coating was. Can you inquire with the shop that did the work. They may have used an LSP rather than a coating.

dcoy
02-20-2015, 09:04 PM
I will inquire about the kind that was used. What is an LSP?

J Cole
02-20-2015, 09:07 PM
A few weeks ago I got a coating applied to my brand new M3. I don't know the temperature it was applied in but it was put in a 30-40 degree dry garage for 15 hours after.

I have taken the car on a few ski trips and driven through wet and dirty roads. The car seems to be a magnet for dirt. It looks like the dirtiest car on the road in the area.

It does not seems to bead at all. I attached pictures of its dirtiest point on the trip and a few after I just washed the car.

I want to apply the pinnacle black label coating. Would it be ok to apply the surface prep coating and then the glass coating? Also, if the coating is applied in 60 degree garage, can it enter a colder garage to set? Any tips are appreciated. 3266732668326693267032671326723267332674

I would ask the detailer what type of coating they applied.

My personal car is coated with CQuartz and:

1) I've found it does accumulate salt but at a slower rate

2) Just a normal two bucket wash is all it takes to restore it to the same look the day I applied it (it has been a little over 2 months) - as well as the same beading properties.

From your pictures it looks like a few things could have happened, in my opinion:

1) A true coating wasn't applied.

2) A coating was applied and when you're washing it you're not removing the 'road film' on the car - which would cause sub par beading.

3) The cure time for the coating might not have been met. However - IF the coating did require a certain amount of time at a certain temperature it was the detailer's responsibility to either keep it for that amount of time at that temperature or clearly communicate that need to you.

However, at the end of the day, I'd call the detailer. They should easily be able to explain to you what's happening and suggest the proper way to wash the coating - after all, they installed it. :props:

EDIT: Just saw your reply. LSP is a last step product, such as a wax or sealant, it's just the last step taken on the exterior during a detail.

kevincwelch
02-20-2015, 09:15 PM
As far as the dirt goes, I would say that looks pretty typical for a car in the winter. Mine looks exactly like that, and I have it coated with 22PLE.

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w610/kwelchmail/2015-01-13%2009.15.48_zpskxqoqifs.jpg (http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/kwelchmail/media/2015-01-13%2009.15.48_zpskxqoqifs.jpg.html)

The benefit of the coating is that all this dirt and grime should wash off fairly easily.

As far as the appearance of the coating goes, I have to say that the beading on your car isn't very impressive. However, beading is just a proxy for protection. The ultimate purpose of a coating is to protect the clear coat and base coat. The purpose of a coating is not to bead, although most coatings are hydrophobic and, therefore, bead very well. As I said, the purpose of a coating is to protect. So, beading may not be a strong property of the coating; that doesn't mean it isn't working.

Having said that, your detailer probably used one of the more commonly known coatings (Gtechniq, 22PLE, Opticoat, C.Quartz, Chemical Guys Second skin), and these all bead/sheet pretty well. There was a post some time ago about CG Second Skin and the fact that it didn't bead well, so you might want to read about that. Read this (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/85928-id-s-what-i-should-expect-second-skin-six.html) and that (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/69332-chemical-guys-coating-second-skin-6-a-3.html#post1165536).

With most of these -- probably all coatings -- everything is in the prep and application. If your car wasn't properly washed, decontaminated, polished and removed of all residues, then the coating isn't going to bond well with the surface of your clear coat. If the surface is properly prepped, coating applications have different temperature and humidity requirements. These all affect application.

I'd find out what exactly was done and what coating was put on your car.

Report back! :xyxthumbs:

VP Mark
02-20-2015, 10:26 PM
How are you washing the car? What was the behavior like shortly after the coating was applied? Was it coated in at least 68 degree ambient temperature?
What coating did you have applied?

Not sure about the 68 degree thing? I know some coatings apply easier in ideal temp but with out even knowing what coating was applied how is this relevant?

Ebg18t
02-21-2015, 06:31 AM
Call the shop that did the coating and get the brand. Right now there are just too many variables.

Mask
02-21-2015, 07:46 AM
Nice rims on your M3

dcoy
02-21-2015, 07:51 AM
Thanks. They are my winter wheels. When I get in contact with the detailer, I will ask the brand of the coating and report back. Thanks for the tips so far.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Bad ass car! Unless the detailer is legit, it may not even be a coating.

The Critic
02-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Not sure about the 68 degree thing? I know some coatings apply easier in ideal temp but with out even knowing what coating was applied how is this relevant?

Lower temperatures may not allow for proper bonding of certain coatings. I believe that CQuartz Finest is one of them.