PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Tampa

bigdcobia
02-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Hello all...I have been trolling the boards for a little while now as I recently purchased a black 2013 crew cab dodge ram. I have never owned black and with my twin 10 yr olds I know why!! fingerprints ughhh.. Anyway, a friend of mine recently got into the detailing business and now of course I need my truck done right!! I wash it weekly using the two bucket method and with some good soap. When I purchased the vehicle I had some liquid Ice and detail spray that made her look real nice I thought, until I did the baggie test.... So, I have purchased a a Nanoskin towel kit and plan on doing that soon. It has the nano glide and the nanoshock to top it off with once done. I am thinking I will then top it off with some collinite 845 based on everything I have read. I don't have a buffer so this is all by hand and the truck sits outside here in Tampa so I am thinking that combo should work out pretty good on the black beast. Any thoughts??

Paul A.
02-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Welcome to AGO from probably right down the street (also in Tampa)! The best thing you could do if at all possible is to invest in a machine...especially with black and all that paint real estate.

My experience in this climate and also owning a black vehicle is that carnauba based products last maybe a week. I have Blackfire sealant on mine right now and it has been much less perishable than my old carnaubas. I do have a recent layer of Coll 845 on it i am evaluating for durability.

Glad to have you here and welcome to what will be a wealth of great info for you. Gorgeous looking truck BTW.

Mike Phillips
02-24-2015, 08:52 AM
When I purchased the vehicle I had some liquid Ice and detail spray that made her look real nice I thought, until I did the baggie test....

The Baggie Test - Sometimes you wish you wouldn't have done it...

I've demonstrated this three times now on "My Classic Car" with Dennis Gage and I always imagine all these car guys across America going out to their garage during a commercial break and feeling the paint on their toy using the baggie test.

:laughing:

So, I have purchased a a Nanoskin towel kit and plan on doing that soon. It has the nano glide and the nanoshock to top it off with once done.

Be careful when using any Nanoskin product on black paint. Use LOTS of lube and just be careful as it is possible to mar the paint.

Mar is the kinder gentler way of saying scratch. I love Nanoskin products buy my rule for any cars I work on is if I'm going to do ANY type of mechanical decontamination then I'm already planning on doing at least one machine polishing step to clean up any marring.

I am thinking I will then top it off with some Collinite 845 based on everything I have read.

Popular product.

I don't have a buffer so this is all by hand and the truck sits outside here in Tampa so I am thinking that combo should work out pretty good on the black beast. Any thoughts??

Well... black isn't a color it's a full time job. Seriosly... I even have an article by that name...

"Black is not a color, it's a full time job" (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/57621-black-not-color-s-full-time-job.html)

If I were you I would guy a light cleaning cleaner/wax as this will remove road grime and dirt build up on the paint. This is especially important if this truck sits outside most of the time. A pure wax like the Collinite 845 has no cleaning ability so it's not the best choice for a daily driver that sits outside.

I'd also get a Porter Cable and make life easy on yourself. Get the PC a 5" backing plate, a few 5.5" thin flat pads and a light cleaner/wax and you're good to go.

:)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

AZ Mike
02-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Welcome to Autogeek. Twins and a black truck. Boy are you going to be busy.

Goin Rogue
02-24-2015, 06:40 PM
Welcome from Tally!