PDA

View Full Version : Opti gloss coat

RWalleyTX
02-20-2015, 12:12 AM
I decided to buy a 10ml version to try out. I have a black Nissan Maxima and the paint is soft and scratches fairly easy I hope this will help protect the paint from fine scratches. Anyone with a black car try the gloss coat yet?

originalgoods13
02-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Hi there,
While I have not used the Opti Coat and used GTechniq C1 and EXO v2 on top of it, based from experience it does little to no protection against fine scratches as to my old set up of Power Lock and Glanz Wax.

The water beading does glide very well, comparable to AutoGlym HD Wax

As for protecting the paint work, the proper way of being swirl free is to keep the paint work clean and use proper washing techniques

series1
02-20-2015, 03:01 PM
No experience with gloss coat but I've used CquartzUK on a 2010 Honda Civic that has soft black clear. I don't think the cquk has a better scratch resistance per say but better self cleaning and dirt repellancy effects which helps in the wash routine in terms of preventing wash induced marring. I think that's where ALL coatings help to "prevent" scratches/swirls, but that's my opinion. Hope that helps you

VP Mark
02-20-2015, 03:15 PM
I've used a lot of Gloss-coat, while no real long term tests are possible yet, you need to think along the terms of scratch resistance, not scratch protection. So far it seems to resist mild marring/swirling pretty good.

RWalleyTX
02-20-2015, 08:44 PM
I hope it will reduce the chance of scratches. I keep hearing how great this stuff is but then again many like it because they sell it with detail jobs. I don't know what to think about until I try it myself I plan to do a review on it as a hobbyist not a detailer.

Crispy
02-24-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm a hobby guy so no vested interest in telling my experience. I used Opti Gloss for first time last October (previously used Opti-Coat 2.0. Followed the instructions by polishing with Optinum Polish II on a soft pad (black) and wipe off residue with microfiber towel. I then used 20% alcohol solution to finish prep stage. Product was easy to apply and allowed one hour before exposurer to the elements. I let the product "cure" for a week (this may have been overkill). I then applied Opti-Seal
Could not be happier. A few months later I discovered Collinite 845 wax can be applied over Opti-Seal, so I did that to the hood, roof and trunk. Very good results considering dead of winter with minus 34C temperatures and road salt applied by the ton to my daily driver.