PDA

View Full Version : Green Tahoe with serious spider webbing

sgtpoliteness
02-19-2015, 11:49 PM
Hey everyone. I'm probably going to be picking up a '96 Tahoe LT the next day or two. In addition to needing a real good interior cleaning the paint needs some help.

The whole truck is like this. A couple door sings but no deep scratches. I've got the nicer of the HF DA's. I'm looking for advice on products to use and if a flexible 5.5" back plate (through AG's online store!) would be a good investment. Also, I've never worked with clear coated paint.

Thank you!

HateSwirls
02-20-2015, 06:54 AM
I'd first try Meguiar's 105 to remove those swirls.
Seems to work great on GM vehicles.

If you don't have the 105 stop by any large auto store and get yourself a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.
Not as aggressive as of the m105 but close enough , also less dusting, more user friendly for the operator.
If using a DA set your speed at 4-5, try using a white pad first, inspect, if defects are still there you could always move up to an orange pad.
Follow it up with a fine polish.

dlc95
02-20-2015, 07:38 AM
I'd first try Meguiar's 105 to remove those swirls.
Seems to work great on GM vehicles.

If you don't have the 105 stop by any large auto store and get yourself a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.
Not as aggressive as of the m105 but close enough , also less dusting, more user friendly for the operator.
If using a DA set your speed at 4-5, try using a white pad first, inspect, if defects are still there you could always move up to an orange pad.
Follow it up with a fine polish.

:iagree:

parttimer
02-20-2015, 07:47 AM
If your already ordering from AG, just pick up the wolfgang triplets along with the pads. If this is your first time, playing with M105 might turn you off.

Setec Astronomy
02-20-2015, 08:49 AM
If your already ordering from AG, just pick up the wolfgang triplets along with the pads. If this is your first time, playing with M105 might turn you off.

I agree. Yes, the 5.5" backing plate is worth it, that HF plate isn't very good (I'm told).

Charleston
02-20-2015, 04:15 PM
I would skip M105, order the Wolfgang Triplets + some orange and white pads. That should cover it for now.

OR

Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish.

The Guz
02-20-2015, 04:56 PM
I would skip M105, order the Wolfgang Triplets + some orange and white pads. That should cover it for now.

OR

Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish.

I agree with this.

cardaddy
02-20-2015, 06:31 PM

:iagree: Working with 105 is a PITA. What I'd suggest for a SMAT based compound would be Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, or even Meguiar's M101. It'll cut, and correct, faster on that older, (generally hard) Tahoe paint, (with the HF or any other similar DA type machine). While the cost of 101 might seem expensive compared to 105, it's nothing compared to Wolfgang. For 32 ounces of the following; Meguiar's 105 is 23.99, Meguiar's 101 is 37.50 where Wolfgang Uber Compound 3.0 is 69.99! Then of course you could consider Menzerna FG400 which is only $49.99 and is VERY good. IMO, M101 and FG400 are the best bargains of the bunch, and can work on anything you'll run across with that Tahoe.

Now, does that mean you'll not need to polish it after compounding? Absolutely NOT! Most likely you'll end up polishing after a heavy compounding session. Especially if you go with a SMAT based (Meguiar's) compound. What you could try however is the FG400 with a white (or likely an orange) Lake Country pad. Then with another pad, moving up to a blue, or even a black one primed and half way worked (as in 2~3 section passes) with FG400 you could finish it down and it'd be plenty good enough for that particular vehicle.

Of course nothing will tell you what'll work until you get the pads, product, and paint all together and do a few test spots. :)

sgtpoliteness
02-21-2015, 12:47 AM
Awesome! Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll look at everything, get stuff ordered and then post some pics of test shots.