PDA

View Full Version : using a chemical polish when doing paint correction

Rod73
02-19-2015, 06:43 AM
I was curious whether or not anyone on the forum will do a cleaner polish when they are using polishes for paint correction before or after.

I've heard from a few it is unnecessary for a few reasons redundancy essentially or an IPA would do the other work etc. ... But I would like to know do people still see value in adding those steps, if so why.

dlc95
02-19-2015, 08:24 AM
In a "one step" polishing situation, I can see where they are beneficial, especially if there is no coating to be applied after.

Paul A.
02-19-2015, 09:48 AM
I have liked them after all cut, buff and polish steps and especially if in the same "family" as the LSP i plan to use. I may have been duped by marketing to think they clean the paint and set up a better bond for longevity but have used them and do like them.

Setec Astronomy
02-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Well, if you have to compound the paint, it's unlikely that using a paint cleaner before that will help you any, that it would remove anything that the compound won't (presuming that you have done a thorough wash and some sort of decon, whether mechanical or chemical or both).

As far as using a paint cleaner after, as noted, it's possible that a paint cleaner might remove some compound/polish residues, however, depending, it might also leave some residues of its own, which may or may not be something you want.

Generally I would consider it a redundant step if you are doing other polishing.

FUNX650
02-19-2015, 09:55 AM
I was curious whether or not anyone on the forum will do a cleaner polish when they are using polishes for paint correction before or after.

I've heard from a few it is unnecessary for a few reasons redundancy essentially or an IPA would do the other work etc. ... But I would like to know do people still see value in adding those steps, if so why.
I need your help in trying to figure out the "categories",
into which: you are attempting to place products.

Such as, what are:
-Cleaner Polishes;
-Correction Polishes;
-Chemical Polishes;
-IPA...Polish; Panel Wipe; or:?

TIA.

Bob

tuscarora dave
02-19-2015, 10:03 AM
If it were a product of a particular brand that has a specific synergistic compatibility to the LSP to be used, then maybe I could see it as beneficial to use a paint cleaner of say Optimum, before applying a wax or sealant also made by Optimum. Or perhaps using Duragloss "Squeeky Clean" after compounding/polishing to prepare for a coat of the Enviroshield ceramic coating.

Any other use IMO would be a redundant step.

dlc95
02-19-2015, 11:13 AM
I need your help in trying to figure out the "categories",
into which: you are attempting to place products.

Such as, what are:
-Cleaner Polishes;
-Correction Polishes;
-Chemical Polishes;
-IPA...Polish; Panel Wipe; or:?

TIA.

BobAfter further thought. .:iagree:

Rod73
02-19-2015, 11:28 AM
After further thought. .:iagree:
I actually looked at cleaner and chemical polish terms as another way of saying the same thing but I could be wrong. I would say for example Klasse AIO, Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, or Wolfgang paintwork Enhancer

IPA like a certain mix of rubbing alcohol and distilled water to wipe off your work.

A couple examples for me with correction polishing would be a 1 step with Menzerna PF2500 on a white pad, or a 2 step with FG400 orange pad followed with Sf4500 with a white ... in those cases is there any value in using a non abrasive cleaner polish afterwards?

FUNX650
02-19-2015, 11:49 AM
A couple examples for me with correction polishing would be a 1 step with Menzerna PF2500 on a white pad, or a 2 step with FG400 orange pad followed with Sf4500 with a white ... in those cases is there any value in using a non abrasive cleaner polish afterwards?
•Just addressing these 1-step and 2-step scenarios...
(I'll assume you're going to apply an LSP):
-Follow the LSP-manufacturers' directions.

•Some will want the corrected-surfaces to be squeaky-clean after using "corrective polishes"...
-and will suggest with what product "to wipe the panels"

•That may be a reason to use what you are calling
-a non abrasive "cleaner polish"?
-Perhaps IPA?

Bob

Desertnate
02-19-2015, 02:33 PM
The only chemical polish I've used regularly is Klasse AIO, and only to prepare the surface for Klasse SG. I've always been told Klasse SG loves a clean surface and AIO was the best product for that purpose.

I did use a sample of Poorboys Pro Polish one time. It did notice a little correction, but that may have been more of the pad doing the work than the product.

I'm come to the opinion that if you're going to hit the car with a product prior to application of the LSP, one might as well use an abrasive polish aggressive enough to match your goals.

Detailing by M
02-19-2015, 03:31 PM
what is a cleaner polish? I never heard of that.
Do you mean a Cleaner Wax? So cleaner polish is redundant.

The term "cleaner" in wax usually means a polish, be it chemical or abrasives. So cleaner polish is redundant.

So using a "Cleaner Wax" after polish is what I do all the time.
After a polish job I finish with Jeweling the paint and protecting it at the same time, and time is money

conquistador
02-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Do you mean a Cleaner Wax? So cleaner polish is redundant.

The term "cleaner" in wax usually means a polish, be it chemical or abrasives. So cleaner polish is redundant.

So using a "Cleaner Wax" after polish is what I do all the time.
After a polish job I finish with Jeweling the paint and protecting it at the same time, and time is money

I'm curious as to what product is your go to "cleaner wax" to jewel and protect?

FUNX650
02-19-2015, 04:00 PM
You're Kidding!! :)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image1049.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/91005)

Bob

PiPUK
02-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Another example of the confusion that is, increasingly, arising in this area.

The most basic form of a polish is when you have no abrasive and no protection of visual enhancement. This is a 'cleanser' or a cleaner polish. I have seen a few references in this thread to 'AIO' or 'glaze' and the simple reality is that these are not the pure cleanser type. These products WILL have something else in there, whether is it abrasives, silicones, polymers or waxes. This may or may not do harm to your process, but don't kid yourself into believing that you are getting a chemically clean surface at the end!

The important thing is that your compound or anything that does cutting, will also do the same thing as your cleaner polish. There is good reason to use a cleaner polish if you are just wanting to strip a vehicle in good condition and then put on a fresh LSP, but it is pointless if you are going to be doing any level of correction. Even after a correction, the only argument you could make is that it might lift some of the abrasive residues, but a good panel wipe will do this better and more easily and will have less chance of leaving anything else (by the way, IPA is NOT a good panel wipe, it does not lubricate and you can easily put fresh marks into the paint).

A final note is these 'synergies' we sometimes read about. Let me be clear, if there is an advertised synergy, there are two things to consider:

1) Your supposed cleanser/cleaner polish is actually leaving something behind that causes the synergy (thus somewhat contradicting the concept of it leaving a chemically clean surface...)

or

2) The synergy only exists when you pay out your hard earned dollars and convince yourself of it!

If a product genuinely cleans the surface perfectly and leaves nothing behind, the resulting synergy would be between the following product and the paint, the cleaner would have no part in the synergy!

Ebg18t
02-19-2015, 08:15 PM
It's amazing how one term can bring up so many options. When I used to use Klasse often I awlways used the Klasse AIO before layering Klasse SG. Back then many of us felt that 5-6 layers of SG was the ticket.

Now I don't use anything more than an IPA wipe down to prep the surface before coating or sealing. IMHO the IPA wiper down or CarPro eraser is easier.