PDA

View Full Version : Pure Sine Inverter set up or Gas Generator

MrGrimmage
02-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Was wondering of anyone has a high power pure sine inverter set up for mobile use vs the olé fashioned gas generator. Both have pros and cons. But I'm kinda interested in the quietness of a inverter set up. Any light shed on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks

CCC4me
02-19-2015, 09:10 AM
Are you asking about an inverter/generator (on the inverter side) or a large inverter downstream of a bank of batteries charged by your alternator?

If the latter, even though the price of the inverter initially looks promising, by the time enough deep cycle battery capacity has been added the pricing equals or exceeds a Yamaha inverter/generator watt for watt--not to mention the weight and space!

Detailing by M
02-19-2015, 02:12 PM
I tried the inverter route but it didn't work.
You can't run a shop vac off those things, let alone 2 DA's and a Steamer.

Direct Drive Generator work at full power all the time and are noisy. So noisy that I put mine in a box! I paid $200 off Craigslist a few years ago and it still works great.

The inverters are digitally controlled and are "on demand". They are over $1,000 so most people don't buy them.
But these are extremely quiet, small and don't heat up as much as the direct drive ones.

If your like me I don't use a generator all the time, you can usually find power somewhere.
My generator is a back up if I can't plug in somewhere. So I went with the less expensive route and saved $800.

Firehouse Mike
02-19-2015, 03:20 PM
I have used both setups. I had a 3000w inverter off of a 3 bank RV deep cycle batteries and an isolator hooked to my HD alternator on my truck. Yes quiet, yes expensive ($1k), yes heavy, and yes a PITA to run the wiring. But start up the truck and it will run all day. My truck (06 F150) burns about 1.5 gallons per hour at idle. During my downsizing I an now running a Honda EU2000i inverter generator. Small, light, yes very quiet. Can't hear it over a vac or when running a DA. You need to hear one in person, videos do not do justice for how quiet they are. Still powers my steamer and extractor just fine. A gallon of gas will last all day. And get a Honda!! I bought an "other" brand for much less, returned it after 2 days when it started to sound like a freight train full of bolts coming off the tracks. They do cost more, but after having to reschedule then lose a customer because they didn't have power for me and I was out a generator -learned my lesson... don't cheap out

Mike

AZ Mike
02-19-2015, 04:28 PM
I have used both setups. I had a 3000w inverter off of a 3 bank RV deep cycle batteries and an isolator hooked to my HD alternator on my truck. Yes quiet, yes expensive ($1k), yes heavy, and yes a PITA to run the wiring. But start up the truck and it will run all day. My truck (06 F150) burns about 1.5 gallons per hour at idle. During my downsizing I an now running a Honda EU2000i inverter generator. Small, light, yes very quiet. Can't hear it over a vac or when running a DA. You need to hear one in person, videos do not do justice for how quiet they are. Still powers my steamer and extractor just fine. A gallon of gas will last all day. And get a Honda!! I bought an "other" brand for much less, returned it after 2 days when it started to sound like a freight train full of bolts coming off the tracks. They do cost more, but after having to reschedule then lose a customer because they didn't have power for me and I was out a generator -learned my lesson... don't cheap out

Mike

What DA are you running on your Honda EU2000i?

MrGrimmage
02-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Welp. At the end of all the long strenuous research and listening to you guys here with experience. My mind is made up. Generator it is. Thanks

Detail-Impressions
02-19-2015, 11:03 PM
"And get a Honda!!" I agree 100%!

Firehouse Mike
02-20-2015, 02:31 AM
What DA are you running on your Honda EU2000i?
A Griots 6" and occasionally a 3". Neither one will raise the engine speed off idle when in ECO

215Detailing
02-20-2015, 03:22 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/88090-honda-eu-2000i-generator.html

215Detailing
02-20-2015, 03:23 PM

Mike

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/88090-honda-eu-2000i-generator.html