PDA

View Full Version : Looking for polishing advice

Warpaint69
02-18-2015, 01:48 PM
I have a 2013 Camaro Victory Red. When I ordered it I specifically told the dealer to not touch the car. When I got the car sometime during transport something rubbed the driver quarter and left some light marring/hazing. Last spring I managed to snag a lovely Kansas tumble weed and it left a similar spot on my hood from rubbing until I could get safetly stopped. I'm also interested in removing the light swirling on the rest of the car as well. I'm going to buy the Griots DA and put a 5.5 backing plate on it. As far as polishes I've been reading all I can find on the Menzerna line and I'm thinking SF4500 with a LC Hydro Crimson pad for the light swirling on the car. I just don't know how aggressive to get on the blemishes I described. Would PF2500 with a CCS white or green pad be a good place to start? Open to anything anyone is willing to offer up.

parttimer
02-18-2015, 01:56 PM
You might need the green and 2500 just to remove the haze/marring from the way people talk about camaro paint. Order the wolfgang triplets and some hybrid pads.

Kamakaz1961
02-18-2015, 01:57 PM
FG400 with an Orange Pad Speed Setting 5. Follow up with Menzerna SF4500 white White Pad at speed setting 5. I am assuming Lake Country's Flat or CCS Pads.

With Hydrotechs I believe it would be their Blue (Cyan) for compounding and then Tangerine (Orange) polishing and Crimson (Red) LSP. The Hydrotechs are a little more aggressive than their Flat, Hybrid and CCS Pads. It will get the job done. The Speed settings are the same at 5.

Menzerna FG400 and SF4500 are an awesome combo.

Some may say SF4000 as it has more cut than SF4500, however, I have never experienced any issues with SF4500 and I prefer that over SF4000.

It is an excellent "jeweling" Polish.

Warpaint69
02-18-2015, 02:05 PM
FG400 with an Orange Pad Speed Setting 5. Follow up with Menzerna SF4500 white White Pad at speed setting 5. I am assuming Lake Country's Flat or CCS Pads.

With Hydrotechs I believe it would be their Blue (Cyan) for compounding and then Tangerine (Orange) polishing and Crimson (Red) LSP. The Hydrotechs are a little more aggressive than their Flat, Hybrid and CCS Pads. It will get the job done. The Speed settings are the same at 5.

Menzerna FG400 and SF4500 are an awesome combo.

Some may say SF4000 as it has more cut than SF4500, however, I have never experienced any issues with SF4500 and I prefer that over SF4000.

It is an excellent "jeweling" Polish.

So with the white CCS it will finish out the SF4500 to a decent car show quality finish? Id rather not go through the jeweling process of it's only going to be a minor change in shine after a white pad.

brettS4
02-18-2015, 02:35 PM
If you use FG400 and finish it out well, the SF4500 polish is going to be a subtle improvement. Hard to say if it's worth the effort to you. FG400 does a great job on its own when used right, getting 90-95% correction. Stepping down to SF4500 is done by people who want that extra 5%.

Warpaint69
02-18-2015, 02:42 PM
If you use FG400 and finish it out well, the SF4500 polish is going to be a subtle improvement. Hard to say if it's worth the effort to you. FG400 does a great job on its own when used right, getting 90-95% correction. Stepping down to SF4500 is done by people who want that extra 5%.
I already decided I was going to snag some dark color paint scab pile panels from my Uncles body shop and do some practicing. I am rather picky and would like to understand the polishing process more hands on before I touch my car. I just want to be sure I get what I need to get the job done correctly with the right polishes and pads.

Warpaint69
02-18-2015, 03:06 PM
Let me ask this then... If Im using the FG400 and SF4500, what pads and how many does a person need of each to polish out a car? The areas of paint correction with FG400 the spots are fairly small in size? Any suggestions?

dlc95
02-18-2015, 03:13 PM
I have a 2013 Camaro Victory Red. When I ordered it I specifically told the dealer to not touch the car. When I got the car sometime during transport something rubbed the driver quarter and left some light marring/hazing. Last spring I managed to snag a lovely Kansas tumble weed and it left a similar spot on my hood from rubbing until I could get safetly stopped. I'm also interested in removing the light swirling on the rest of the car as well. I'm going to buy the Griots DA and put a 5.5 backing plate on it. As far as polishes I've been reading all I can find on the Menzerna line and I'm thinking SF4500 with a LC Hydro Crimson pad for the light swirling on the car. I just don't know how aggressive to get on the blemishes I described. Would PF2500 with a CCS white or green pad be a good place to start? Open to anything anyone is willing to offer up.

The green ccs and PF2500 would be an excellent starting point. During my testing of the combo, I found them to be quite effective. Don't rule out the pink ccs pad either. It's pretty coarse feeling, but chews away defects, and leaves a pretty nice finish. I actually feels rougher than the yellow and orange pads.

PF2500 is my new "one step" polish. It's really versatile, and seems to work with a lot of pad types. I just need to get it out in the field once the weather cooperates.