PDA

View Full Version : Paint depth gauge...

Pages : [1] 2

Derek Short
02-17-2015, 12:28 AM
So from the little bit I know about them is some will only give you a reading if the surface is metal. And the other higher end gauges will be able to read all panels weather it be plastic, fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc...

I am looking for a gauge that will do all panels.

Would like to see what feedback everyone has...

Thanks!

Derek Short
02-19-2015, 01:02 AM
Anyone?

Rsurfer
02-19-2015, 01:23 AM
Anyone?

Did you look at AG Store?

HateSwirls
02-19-2015, 06:34 AM
Call AG, I'm sure they'll have the answers for you and product.

Setec Astronomy
02-19-2015, 06:45 AM
It's my understanding that the PTG's that will read on a non-metallic substrate, won't read on a metallic substrate.

addysdaddy
02-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Defelsko PosiTector 6000 FNS1 Coating Thickness Gauge (with 3ft probe), paint gauge, thickness gage, paint meter (http://www.autogeek.net/defelsko-6000-thickness-gauge.html)

Setec Astronomy
02-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Defelsko PosiTector 6000 FNS1 Coating Thickness Gauge (with 3ft probe), paint gauge, thickness gage, paint meter (http://www.autogeek.net/defelsko-6000-thickness-gauge.html)

That says it only works on metallic substrates, the OP is looking for something that will work on both metallic and non-metallic substrates.

FUNX650
02-19-2015, 10:17 AM
To the best of my knowledge...
There presently are no (E)PTG thickness gauges available that can be used on every combination of substrate materials. If there would be: they would have a prohibitive-price attached to them...At least for my budget and tasks!

BTW:
The limitations of any particular (E)PTG are usually delineated by its manufacturer.

Bob

kochdalton87
02-19-2015, 10:46 AM
PM Sent

Derek Short
02-20-2015, 01:35 AM
PM Sent

Thanks Koch I appreciate the info. ;)

So it looks like I've found the gauge I am looking for. From what I have found out there are 2 attachments that are needed. One for metal substraights and another non metal, such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, plastic, etc.

Thanks everyone for the info. I will share more when my new equipment arrives.

Any info anyone else wants to share or thinks it may be helpful I am all ears and open to any help and advice I can get.

Thanks!

FUNX650
02-20-2015, 03:16 AM
Thanks Koch I appreciate the info. ;)

So it looks like I've found the gauge I am looking for. From what I have found out there are 2 attachments that are needed. One for metal substraights and another non metal, such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, plastic, etc.

Thanks everyone for the info. I will share more when my new equipment arrives.

Any info anyone else wants to share or thinks it may be helpful I am all ears and open to any help and advice I can get.

Thanks!
Hope you feel like sharing your/(Koch) new PTG's info.

Does this unit also measure over aluminum?
Lots of aluminum going into today's vehicles.

Bob

MikeC
02-20-2015, 08:37 PM
I know it's not a Defelsko, but does the cm-8801fn sold on ebay do both?

FUNX650
02-20-2015, 08:51 PM
I know it's not a Defelsko, but does the cm-8801fn sold on ebay do both?
For Detailers' purposes...

I'll say there are three types of PTGs:
-Magnetic...for ferrous metal substrates
-Eddy...for non-ferrous metal substrates
-Ultrasonic...for nonmetal substrates (plastic, wood, etc.)

Maybe DeFelsko sells separate probes (for the above PTG-types) that are compatible to/for one particular PTG-unit.

Note:
I may check with them again on Monday 02.23.2015

Bob

Derek Short
02-22-2015, 03:18 AM
The gauge I purchsed was a delflesko positector b3 200 and 6000. From my understanding this will allow me to be able to read no only metal surfaces but plastic, carbon fiber, fiberglass, etc. this is key if you work on high end cars and a must have even tho the cost is a bit much. But could save you big in the long run. And it's great having that piece of mind how much paint you have to work with.

FUNX650
02-22-2015, 03:41 AM
The gauge I purchsed was a delflesko positector b3 200 and 6000. From my understanding this will allow me to be able to read no only metal surfaces but plastic, carbon fiber, fiberglass, etc. this is key if you work on high end cars and a must have even tho the cost is a bit much.
Those units sound familiar.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image1053.jpg

$Good Score$ :)

Bob