PDA

View Full Version : polishing new clearcote????

Pages : [1] 2

trhland
08-24-2007, 03:17 PM
hi guys just heard from the body shop that my truck will be done next week. they have to repaint just one dent on the colume that skinny piece that starts from the roof and goes down by the mirror. any way they said there going to clearcote the whole door anyway just so it blends in even know the door was fine . can i still polish this ? do i have to wait a while for the clear to dry ? if they reclear the door are they going to just spray over the paint ?

trhland
08-24-2007, 03:21 PM
i told the body shop guy im very picky please do a perfect job. im nervous as hell. hope it looks flawless like it did before i had it in there. by the way what do they have to do to reclear the door? what if theres a little tiny micro swirl on the paint that i havent got yet are they going to just clear over that? and then ill never be able to polish that because its under the new clear job? any idea guys , i know nothing about body work and painting

Thejoyofdriving
08-24-2007, 03:26 PM
i told the body shop guy im very picky please do a perfect job. im nervous as hell. hope it looks flawless like it did before i had it in there. by the way what do they have to do to reclear the door? what if theres a little tiny micro swirl on the paint that i havent got yet are they going to just clear over that? and then ill never be able to polish that because its under the new clear job? any idea guys , i know nothing about body work and painting

My guess is that the clear that they shoot over the swirls will hide them.

trhland
08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
My guess is that the clear that they shoot over the swirls will hide them.not to say theres swirls but may one or 2 light hair line marks that can only be seen in direct sun.i just hope it come out good

Thejoyofdriving
08-24-2007, 05:45 PM
not to say theres swirls but may one or 2 light hair line marks that can only be seen in direct sun.i just hope it come out good

I think that once they get filled in with clear they will disappear. I dont know that for a fact I am just hypothesizing.

Truls
08-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Paint shal "breath" a month or so, so personaly i wouldnt touched it the first month, but i think someone said that you may polish it, but dont seal it. But i would wait, or if the painter says otherwise.

Thejoyofdriving
08-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Well im pretty sure they polish the freshly painted area right after it dries. So I assume its ok to polish it. I have heard to not wax or seal fresh after market paint for 3-6 months.

ScottB
08-24-2007, 06:23 PM
paint from the factory is heat cured and outgased prior to sale. Because your using a body shop, you likely have not had a significant amount of time to allow this to happen. As such I suggest leaving paint alone for minimum of 30 days from any harsh chemicals or polish. A quick coat of Souveran Paste (pure carnauba) to protect from water spots is all thats needed until then.

Thejoyofdriving
08-24-2007, 06:26 PM
paint from the factory is heat cured and outgased prior to sale. Because your using a body shop, you likely have not had a significant amount of time to allow this to happen. As such I suggest leaving paint alone for minimum of 30 days from any harsh chemicals or polish. A quick coat of Souveran Paste (pure carnauba) to protect from water spots is all thats needed until then.

I thought you arent suppose to wax or seal after market paint jobs right away:confused:

trhland
08-24-2007, 07:23 PM
paint from the factory is heat cured and outgased prior to sale. Because your using a body shop, you likely have not had a significant amount of time to allow this to happen. As such I suggest leaving paint alone for minimum of 30 days from any harsh chemicals or polish. A quick coat of Souveran Paste (pure carnauba) to protect from water spots is all thats needed until then.thanks !!!!will do

Tandis1
08-25-2007, 06:45 AM
I thought you arent suppose to wax or seal after market paint jobs right away:confused:

+1

trhland
08-25-2007, 07:23 AM
ill ask the body shop guy when i pick up the truck .i did hear a while ago that the bake it on so its fine to do what ever

ScottB
08-25-2007, 09:14 AM

this has been an issue since the birth of each product, and what I have been able to find out over the years.

Wax --- this substance actually covers the leafs of the carnauba tree in Brazil. Leaves take in oxygen for the plant, thus the leafs covered with this substance still breathe. They interlock when raining to provide a water protectant.

sealant -- this product interlocks together almost immediately synthetically to "seal" or block the paint from environment. As such by design, it might not allow a paint to breathe properly and outgas as locked in.

what I have found as the only agreement, the high solvents and cleaners used in most AIO type products are what can harm paint most while drying properly. So I personally have always avoided anything like this and chemical cleaners and polishes specifically.

I can tell you with 5 new roofs on Vette since new, and past minor scrape that needed repair Souveran Paste has never done anything to paint and always kept me protected during this rather small window of curing. I want some protection from etchings as such, and this is the one area where I feel more than comfortable offering its use.

Tandis1
08-25-2007, 10:53 AM
aha, I see.. Good to know:)

trhland
08-25-2007, 11:04 AM
this has been an issue since the birth of each product, and what I have been able to find out over the years.

Wax --- this substance actually covers the leafs of the carnauba tree in Brazil. Leaves take in oxygen for the plant, thus the leafs covered with this substance still breathe. They interlock when raining to provide a water protectant.

sealant -- this product interlocks together almost immediately synthetically to "seal" or block the paint from environment. As such by design, it might not allow a paint to breathe properly and outgas as locked in.

what I have found as the only agreement, the high solvents and cleaners used in most AIO type products are what can harm paint most while drying properly. So I personally have always avoided anything like this and chemical cleaners and polishes specifically.

I can tell you with 5 new roofs on Vette since new, and past minor scrape that needed repair Souveran Paste has never done anything to paint and always kept me protected during this rather small window of curing. I want some protection from etchings as such, and this is the one area where I feel more than comfortable offering its use.thanks again for clearing this up.man you know your stuff. im calling a/g and demanding they give you a raise:applause: