PDA

View Full Version : Car wash technique for black cars

Pages : [1] 2 3

bonedr
02-15-2015, 10:05 AM
I recently washed 2 of my black cars Yukon and grand am that were real dirty from snow and salt. Both were essentially swirl free on both I used adams car wash with a
Karcher pressure washer with a foam gun attachment.

I prewashed then foamed then on the Yukon used a boar hair brush with handle and on the grand am a car pro wash mit. I then rinsed and dryed with aqua wax using cobra towels.. Both ended up with light to medium swirls throughout that I'll have to buff out .

I'm looking for some tips on washing black or any cars to avoid swirls . I use ONR Or a waterless wash when the cars aren't too dirty and don't seem to have issues. Thanks Feed back please

mikesal57
02-15-2015, 10:37 AM
I recently washed 2 of my black cars Yukon and grand am that were real dirty from snow and salt. Both were essentially swirl free on both I used adams car wash with a

I prewashed then foamed then on the Yukon used a boar hair brush with handle and on the grand am a car pro wash mit. I then rinsed and dryed with aqua wax using cobra towels.. Both ended up with light to medium swirls throughout that I'll have to buff out .

I'm looking for some tips on washing black or any cars to avoid swirls . I use ONR Or a waterless wash when the cars aren't too dirty and don't seem to have issues. Thanks Feed back please
Unavoidable to get perfection on black cars via any kind of washing
just enjoy your car and dont worry

irvsmith
02-15-2015, 10:58 AM
The only thing I noticed is you said prewashed before foam. Is this a thorough rinse or did you actually do any additional items. I know that some have done rinse-foam-rinse-2bm.

aim4squirrels
02-15-2015, 11:00 AM
I would definitely avoid the boars hair brush. Yes, I have also heard they don't scratch so long as you soak them long enough, but then that's not for every paint, and those folks might not be working on black.

I have a black challenger, wash it like it's mama's fine China, and it still has scratches.

I really think it's truly impossible long term, but here's the best I've found.

Microfiber Madness incredimitt,
Dedicated wheel mitt,
Optimum car wash soap,
Three buckets, two with grit guards.
MTM foam cannon and Sun Joe pressure washer.
Chemical Guys honeydew snowfoam,
Microfiber Madness dry me crazy towel,
Leaf blower.

Process:

Foam entire car.
Using bucket with no grit guard filed with soapy water, I wash the lower plastic trim, then wheels and wells. That water is dumped and mitt retired.
Rinse entire car with 25° attachment on pressure washer. I get close enough to lift dirt, but not cause paint damage, maybe 8-12" away.
Wash top to bottom with two bucket grit guards and OCW with the incredimitt.
Rinse again with pressure washer same distance as before.
Flood rinse the car.
Blow the car with leaf blower, quickly.
Blot water with dry me crazy towel.
Get more picky with leaf blower in crevices and towel up blow off.

It's a long process, but the safest I can find. You don't notice in the sun, but under certain lighting and severe angles, yeah you still see scratches.

Oh yeah most important of all, your lsp choice. Use a coating or Sonax Polymer net shield. Anything that will release dirt easily, make the soap and mitt glide easily, and she'd the rinse water like it's allergic to it. Less touching = less scratches.

Mask
02-15-2015, 11:30 AM
i prefer:
3 bucket - 2 for rinse / 1 for wheel
Brush only for wheels
After all wheels are cleaned follow:
Pressure wash whole car
Foam and wait for few minutes
Rinse
Foam again
Foam gun + wash mitt gently glide on paint surface
Strong stream water shoot clean the wash mitt before putting it to 2 rinse bucket with grid guard.
Then foam gun + wash mitt for another panel.
Sheeting method
Leaf blower + edgeless microfiber or
D114 ratio 1:50 (in spray bottle) spray on edgeless microfiber for drying aid.

With the above method I use more soap and time but Still... I get few scratches LoL

cardaddy
02-15-2015, 12:48 PM
And mine is even more OCD. :rolleyes:

2 Buckets - 1 Soap 1 Rinse - TWO grit guards each, attached via plastic wire ties on 45° angle top one to bottom one. Fishing weights hot glued onto the bottom one to hold them down.
2 TO 3 Mitts - 1 for top down to body side molding, another for side molding to bottom of doors, dedicated rocker panel/underneath/bottom of bumper(s) brush and/or mitt.
Softer paints get Merino Wool mitt on top and upper sides AFTER foam pre-wash
1 Bucket - Dedicated Wheel Bucket - Also with grit guard/weights
Dedicated wheel brushes (Daytona), wheel woolies (trio), long handle brushes medium and soft bristle, short handle medium bristle, tire brushes, T-handle cleaner, 1" boars hair, etc. NONE OF THESE EVER TOUCH 1ST TWO BUCKETS
Dedicate wheel cleaner products, APC, non-acid wheel cleaner, Sonax, etc.
Wash wheels, bumpers, and rocker panels first (with above tools)
Foam cannon with HyperWash, DG901, Mr. Pink, Honeydew. Hyperwash provides thick, sticky foam and is great to mix with any of the others.
Pre-wash, let dwell, spray off, repeat foam then wash with mitt(s) and soap/rinse buckets.
Light touch, the lighter the better!
First rinse with pressure washer (1700psi), check for soap in crevices.
Second rinse via PW then flood rinse
Blower 12amp, (highest CFM you can find) to remove bulk of water
Use spray wax/sealant, DG951, Megs156, etc. as drying aid then BLOT with primary drying towel (Korean ww, Cobra Guzzler etc.). After that use plush drying towel with spray wax/sealant. Very lightly, try to not rub any more than possible. Rubbing = swirls!

This method is not for the impatient, as it can (and will) take 3~4 hours. Not uncommon to spend 15 minutes per wheel / wheel well. :)

Kamakaz1961
02-15-2015, 02:10 PM

Having black cars/suvs/trucks most of my life; I have learned how to keep my ride mostly "swirl' free. It is not 100% perfect, however, it is pretty close. This pertains to RW as well as 2-bucket 2 gg. Since you use a foam gun that is a + especially in your weather conditions.

IMO it is your drying technique that needs improvement. I went through the same thing as you did with my black cars (RW or normal wash). The exception is that I never have and never will use a boar's hair brush or squeegee. I will not do a waterless wash as IMO it is not meant to be for a Black or Dark color cars...Again, that is IMO.

The 1st thing I see that can help you is DITCH the boar's hair brush. Get a step ladder and wash the Yukon roof with a MF mitt or equivalent (like the MFM Incredimitt). Even though the boar's hair brush is soft it does not matter on a black vehicle...it will scratch. Again, my opinion.

The 2nd and probably more important is DITCH the Cobra Waffle Weave Towels. Delegate them to clean the windows (and interior as I do). IMO, this is contributing to the scratches. I know from 1st hand experience. Don't get me wrong, they are excellent towels, however, not for drying a black vehicle.

3rd Get an electric leaf blower or (as I do) get a dedicated blower like the Metro Sidekick. The Sidekick has done wonders for helping me dry my ride. The electric leaf blower would probably be better for you as you have a large SUV.

4th Get some dedicated Micro Fiber (not waffle weave) drying towels. There are a couple of brands that are the best choice. #1 is the Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy Towels. These IMO are the best for drying....period. Use them in conjunction with the blower (leaf or Metro Vacs or Sidekick). Another MF towel (I use in conjunction with the MFM towels and Sidekick) is the Dry-Me-a-River towels. Get their LARGEST size. It does not dry as well as the MFM's but they are large enough to get quite a bit of the water off and follow up with the MFM's if you can't use a blower.

The 5th and probably the MOST DIFFICULT IN LEARNING (for me at least) is to dry your car very gently. With the MFM towels it is possible. You do not need to grind or use a lot of pressure for drying your ride. A gentle touch is all you need. It did take me a while to "soften" my touch.

6th I LOVE Aquawax and have a gallon of that stuff with my sprayer. You can use Aquawax (or equivalent) as an aid to drying. You will encounter some dry spots (water) for taking your time to dry. Just spritz the dry spot and gently wipe with the MFM towel.

7th if you are going to follow-up with Aquawax once your ride is dry...dampen a quality MF Towel (Cobra Gold or equivalent) spritz and wipe and then follow up with a dry MF towel. Gently rubbing the area no more than a couple of times.

IMO this will reduce your chances of scratches. This is my technique and this is what I have done successfully. Some may disagree or think I am full of it. If so, so be it.

I would ask that you try this technique 1st and give me your feedback.

:buffing:

swanicyouth
02-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Having black cars/suvs/trucks most of my life; I have learned how to keep my ride mostly "swirl' free. It is not 100% perfect, however, it is pretty close. This pertains to RW as well as 2-bucket 2 gg. Since you use a foam gun that is a + especially in your weather conditions.

IMO it is your drying technique that needs improvement. I went through the same thing as you did with my black cars (RW or normal wash). The exception is that I never have and never will use a boar's hair brush or squeegee. I will not do a waterless wash as IMO it is not meant to be for a Black or Dark color cars...Again, that is IMO.

The 1st thing I see that can help you is DITCH the boar's hair brush. Get a step ladder and wash the Yukon roof with a MF mitt or equivalent (like the MFM Incredimitt). Even though the boar's hair brush is soft it does not matter on a black vehicle...it will scratch. Again, my opinion.

The 2nd and probably more important is DITCH the Cobra Waffle Weave Towels. Delegate them to clean the windows (and interior as I do). IMO, this is contributing to the scratches. I know from 1st hand experience. Don't get me wrong, they are excellent towels, however, not for drying a black vehicle.

3rd Get an electric leaf blower or (as I do) get a dedicated blower like the Metro Sidekick. The Sidekick has done wonders for helping me dry my ride. The electric leaf blower would probably be better for you as you have a large SUV.

4th Get some dedicated Micro Fiber (not waffle weave) drying towels. There are a couple of brands that are the best choice. #1 is the Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy Towels. These IMO are the best for drying....period. Use them in conjunction with the blower (leaf or Metro Vacs or Sidekick). Another MF towel (I use in conjunction with the MFM towels and Sidekick) is the Dry-Me-a-River towels. Get their LARGEST size. It does not dry as well as the MFM's but they are large enough to get quite a bit of the water off and follow up with the MFM's if you can't use a blower.

The 5th and probably the MOST DIFFICULT IN LEARNING (for me at least) is to dry your car very gently. With the MFM towels it is possible. You do not need to grind or use a lot of pressure for drying your ride. A gentle touch is all you need. It did take me a while to "soften" my touch.

6th I LOVE Aquawax and have a gallon of that stuff with my sprayer. You can use Aquawax (or equivalent) as an aid to drying. You will encounter some dry spots (water) for taking your time to dry. Just spritz the dry spot and gently wipe with the MFM towel.

7th if you are going to follow-up with Aquawax once your ride is dry...dampen a quality MF Towel (Cobra Gold or equivalent) spritz and wipe and then follow up with a dry MF towel. Gently rubbing the area no more than a couple of times.

IMO this will reduce your chances of scratches. This is my technique and this is what I have done successfully. Some may disagree or think I am full of it. If so, so be it.

I would ask that you try this technique 1st and give me your feedback.

:buffing:

I respectfully disagree with some (a lot) of this. I'm a black car owner as well - and my car stays defect free. First, foam gun/cannon is fun - but does little to nothing to prevent swirls. IMHO, the key is taking your time to pressure wash the vehicle prior to touching it using a pressure washer (not a hose) to get the dirt off.

Wether or not you "foam" it first - doesn't really matter much IME. It should take 10-15 mins to pressure wash a vehicle like a Yukon sufficiently so the paint is safe to wash. You should slowly go over the paint with the pressure washer in a criss cross buffing like pattern for 3-4 passes or so. You should be concentrating more time on the lower / dirtier panels.

It seems a lot of people make the car wet, hose style, but don't spend the time to pressure wash the dirt off. Buying a pressure washer and doing that is the single biggest thing you can do to prevent scratches IMHO. If you don't believe me, find a dirty wheel and hose it off. Then pressure wash it - and see how much cleaner it is.

I don't see how drying technique matters at all. Assuming -

1. Your car has been washed properly

2. Your towels are clean and of good quality.

How does one scratch a perfectly clean car using towels that don't mar? If the car isn't perfectly clean - that's a washing issue; not a drying issue. If your towels suck - that's an equipment issue. A Metro helps, and I use the Sidekick much more than the Master Blaster, but - it's neither here nor there if the car is still dirty or the towels are dirty or crappy.

Onto the boar's hair brush. The BHB AG sells does not scratch paint if used as directed. In fact, it's gentler on paint than most wash mitts. How do I know this? Because I've tested it on my paint, I use it extensively, I reviewed it here (too lazy to link), and I've CD tested it. It just doesn't scratch. I'm sure you can find a way to make it scratch - but that is not using it as directed.

Waterless washes (the process - not the product) and in between wash "wipedowns" are likely the OPs issue IMHO. QD a dirty car is the fastest was to mar the paint. It's just a horrible idea. Waterless washes are better, but most people use far too little product to clean anything dirty safely IMHO.

Cobra waffle weave towels don't scratch black cars or any other cars if they are clean. Like a zillion and one AG'ers have been using these WW towels for years (including myself) without issue. The Cobra WWs are of high quality - I don't care if they come from Korea, China, or North Jersey. Microfiber Madness towels are of high quality (and you pay for it); but so are MicroFiber Tech's towels (cheap). You don't need a magic towel to dry your car. None of these towels will scratch it the technique is correct and they are clean and the car is clean. I've used/use all these towels + others without issue.

I agree AquaWax is great - but don't see how using it (or any other spray wax) would matter to prevent swirls if your drying a clean car using high quality towels. Aquawax is mostly water / alcohol / some surfactants & some polymers. The car is already wet (water); I just don't see how adding more water plus some trace ingredients make a difference on a clean car using clean towels of know quality and good technique. This is my experience as well.

I've dried my black car using spay waxes and not using spray waxes. Ive dried it using a Master Blaster or just using towels. Ive used DI water and I've used tap water. I've used quality towels from all sorts of vendors and countries of origin. I've used a boar's brush (Montana), a noodle mitt from AG, Griot's wash pad, BMWs sheep skin mitt, AG's old sheepskin wash pad, Dodo's Wookies Fist, fluffy MF towels, etc... to wash. I've used almost every brand of rinseless wash and almost every brand of conventional wash AG stocks - plus others. I've used Grit Guards and not used Grit Guards. I've used a foam cannon and not used a foam cannon. None of these things mattered or caused marring for me. I usually just grab whatever I grab or use whatever I feel like using.

Only thing I consistently do is use good technique, wipe as little as possible, make sure the car is CLEAN before I dry it, and make sure the car is extensively pressure washed before I touch it (regardless of I'm using "rinseless" or conventional wash solution). I'm convinced this is key and no brand of product or special type of product is required to get a good wash that is scratch free.

custmsprty
02-15-2015, 07:34 PM

It's the nature of the Beasty Black Car. It's a love hate relationship, you love it when it's clean and shiny and hate it the rest of the time. Mines a garage queen so I avoid the issues for the most part. It gets dusty just sitting in the garage too! I would never own a black vehicle for a dd, it'll be dirty 90% of time and the more you wash it the more swirled out it'll get. I couldn't imagine down here in Florida when the pollen season starts in a few weeks, it would be yellow for a month, oh and then there's the twice yearly visit of love bugs and then it rains every day from June to September :doh:

musclecar22
02-15-2015, 07:39 PM
I respectfully disagree with some (a lot) of this. I'm a black car owner as well - and my car stays defect free. First, foam gun/cannon is fun - but does little to nothing to prevent swirls. IMHO, the key is taking your time to pressure wash the vehicle prior to touching it using a pressure washer (not a hose) to get the dirt off.

Wether or not you "foam" it first - doesn't really matter much IME. It should take 10-15 mins to pressure wash a vehicle like a Yukon sufficiently so the paint is safe to wash. You should slowly go over the paint with the pressure washer in a criss cross buffing like pattern for 3-4 passes or so. You should be concentrating more time on the lower / dirtier panels.

It seems a lot of people make the car wet, hose style, but don't spend the time to pressure wash the dirt off. Buying a pressure washer and doing that is the single biggest thing you can do to prevent scratches IMHO. If you don't believe me, find a dirty wheel and hose it off. Then pressure wash it - and see how much cleaner it is.

I don't see how drying technique matters at all. Assuming -

1. Your car has been washed properly

2. Your towels are clean and of good quality.

How does one scratch a perfectly clean car using towels that don't mar? If the car isn't perfectly clean - that's a washing issue; not a drying issue. If your towels suck - that's an equipment issue. A Metro helps, and I use the Sidekick much more than the Master Blaster, but - it's neither here nor there if the car is still dirty or the towels are dirty or crappy.

Onto the boar's hair brush. The BHB AG sells does not scratch paint if used as directed. In fact, it's gentler on paint than most wash mitts. How do I know this? Because I've tested it on my paint, I use it extensively, I reviewed it here (too lazy to link), and I've CD tested it. It just doesn't scratch. I'm sure you can find a way to make it scratch - but that is not using it as directed.

Waterless washes (the process - not the product) and in between wash "wipedowns" are likely the OPs issue IMHO. QD a dirty car is the fastest was to mar the paint. It's just a horrible idea. Waterless washes are better, but most people use far too little product to clean anything dirty safely IMHO.

Cobra waffle weave towels don't scratch black cars or any other cars if they are clean. Like a zillion and one AG'ers have been using these WW towels for years (including myself) without issue. The Cobra WWs are of high quality - I don't care if they come from Korea, China, or North Jersey. Microfiber Madness towels are of high quality (and you pay for it); but so are MicroFiber Tech's towels (cheap). You don't need a magic towel to dry your car. None of these towels will scratch it the technique is correct and they are clean and the car is clean. I've used/use all these towels + others without issue.

I agree AquaWax is great - but don't see how using it (or any other spray wax) would matter to prevent swirls if your drying a clean car using high quality towels. Aquawax is mostly water / alcohol / some surfactants & some polymers. The car is already wet (water); I just don't see how adding more water plus some trace ingredients make a difference on a clean car using clean towels of know quality and good technique. This is my experience as well.

I've dried my black car using spay waxes and not using spray waxes. Ive dried it using a Master Blaster or just using towels. Ive used DI water and I've used tap water. I've used quality towels from all sorts of vendors and countries of origin. I've used a boar's brush (Montana), a noodle mitt from AG, Griot's wash pad, BMWs sheep skin mitt, AG's old sheepskin wash pad, Dodo's Wookies Fist, fluffy MF towels, etc... to wash. I've used almost every brand of rinseless wash and almost every brand of conventional wash AG stocks - plus others. I've used Grit Guards and not used Grit Guards. I've used a foam cannon and not used a foam cannon. None of these things mattered or caused marring for me. I usually just grab whatever I grab or use whatever I feel like using.

Only thing I consistently do is use good technique, wipe as little as possible, make sure the car is CLEAN before I dry it, and make sure the car is extensively pressure washed before I touch it (regardless of I'm using "rinseless" or conventional wash solution). I'm convinced this is key and no brand of product or special type of product is required to get a good wash that is scratch free.

From everything I've read on AGO, a pressure washer will shoot grime across your paint causing marring on its' exit. Is that really a good first step? I now use mine only for undercarriage and wheel wells, they don't touch my black paint. Learned the hard way and what led me to this forum, which thankfully shortened the learning curve.

Kamakaz1961
02-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Let me correct myself. I do not use a pressure washer and in my post it appears I do. I do not have one. Additionally, I do have a foam gun and use that when my ride is really dirty. Most of the time it is the 2-Bucket 2-Grit guard wash. I will do a rinseless wash if the car is not too dirty.

As for the rest...again, that Is my opinion and I knew others would disagree. But again, you have your ways of washing a black car I have mine.

I am sure you are satisfied with your technique as I am with my technique.

swanicyouth
02-15-2015, 07:59 PM
From everything I've read on AGO, a pressure washer will shoot grime across your paint causing marring on its' exit. Is that really a good first step? I now use mine only for undercarriage and wheel wells, they don't touch my black paint. Learned the hard way and what led me to this forum, which thankfully shortened the learning curve.

A pressure washer will not scratch paint. This is a myth. Tons of proven and reputable detailers use pressure washers, have used pressure washers, and will continue to use pressure washers. If someone is posting that pressure washing a vehicle can scratch paint here on AG, they are simply not correct.

The way paint gets marred is wiping dirt off it. The best thing you can do is remove dirt with a pressure washer prior to touching it with a quality towel / BHB / wash mitt.

musclecar22
02-15-2015, 08:19 PM
A pressure washer will not scratch paint. This is a myth. Tons of proven and reputable detailers use pressure washers, have used pressure washers, and will continue to use pressure washers. If someone is posting that pressure washing a vehicle can scratch paint here on AG, they are simply not correct.

The way paint gets marred is wiping dirt off it. The best thing you can do is remove dirt with a pressure washer prior to touching it with a quality towel / BHB / wash mitt.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Nomadsto
02-16-2015, 07:15 AM
Solution : trade'em in for something light or white

RWalleyTX
02-16-2015, 11:26 AM
A black car is a pain. My black car gets scratched easy or you just notice it more due to the color. You can only do so much every year I do a light compound to it and it looks great again. I just do the 3 bucket method and use high quality towels and I recently added a quick detailer to my wet car before I dry for lubrication.