PDA

View Full Version : Looking for assistance for options to replace Zaino's

Pages : [1] 2 3

Stark99
02-14-2015, 10:38 PM
For the last several years I have been using the full suite of Zaino’s on our cars and would like to try a different set of products. I am looking to get some opinions on what I should use. I will also be purchasing a DA that is reasonable in price for a hobbyist (leaning towards the Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher) to do the polishing and waxing. I will do more research on what DA to purchase and how to use it in the near future.

To keep it “simple” this post is to seek assistance on what products I should use on the following cars:

2011 Metallic Meteor Grey (medium grey) Porsche – few ‘spider-webs’

2014 Non Metallic Black Audi – few ‘spider-webs’ and some water spots

2012 Non Metallic Black Lexus – pretty well covered by spider-webs and few scratches from car washes

I would like to use something that provides a good base and coverage for all vehicles; I would like to try layering on a wax ‘topper’ for the Porsche and the Audi to get a better and deeper shine.

The durability of the products are important as I do like prepping the cars but like driving and tracking more. I am open to all reasonable priced products, right now I am thinking about a polish, a sealant, and a carnauba or hybrid wax - but open to all options.

Note - I am sure that the +$100 ‘estate’ waxes are great but I am not looking to spend that much money on the products as I am a firm believer of the law of “diminishing returns” – e.g. a $150 wax doesn’t look 3x better than a $50 wax. Please do not take this wrong, I am not saying a +$100 or more wax is not worth it, it is just that it is not worth it to me.

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

custmsprty
02-14-2015, 10:58 PM
Wolfgang 3.0
Blackfire Wet Diamond

rlmccarty2000
02-14-2015, 11:19 PM
Pinnacle Black Label products are great, but pricey, but a little goes a long way. Try Pinnacle Sovereign Wax and you will judge all other waxes by this one, and you can layer it, though two layers should knock your eyes out, that is if your prep work is done correctly and that is a big IF. Read the many comments on this forum and good luck.

Ebg18t
02-14-2015, 11:37 PM
The Griots DA is a solid performer.
Wolfgang Uber or Menzerna FG400 (use light-med Polish pads)
Pinnacle black label Paint Coating or Garry Dean Infinite Diamond Shield (either is 2yr protection)
Garry Dean Infinite Use a Detail Juice for Rinseless washing & Quick Detailing

Kamakaz1961
02-14-2015, 11:53 PM
The GG 6" DA is a great choice. I like the PC7424XP too, however, the GG6 appears to be more powerful and shares the same Backing Plates and Pads as the PC. Additionally, the GG 6 has a lifetime warranty.

As for Compound: Menzerna FG400 or Wolfgang Uber Compound.

Polishes: Menzerna SF4000 or Wolfgang Polish.

Megs 105/205 is a great combo too.

As for wax at a reasonable price: PS21 100% Carnauba Wax at $60 is a great price. I recently used it and it is INCREDIBLE. IMO about the same depth, gloss and wet look as Pinnacle Souveran (another great product). Souveran is more pricey and probably not as durable as PS21. This is based on where you do not want to spend too much $$.

Duragloss Rinseless Wash or Pinnacle Rinseless Wash.

Collinite Waxes (any of them) are great too and they are very inexpensive.

I hope this gives you some ideas!

Setec Astronomy
02-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Could you give us a little insight into your Zaino regimen so we can get an idea of what you have been doing up to now?

Kamakaz1961
02-15-2015, 01:18 PM
I used to be a Zaino person too. IMO Zaino has some pretty good product. However, AGO or PBMG itself has changed my way of getting product. There are a PLETHORA of products to choose from that are BETTER than any of Zaino's line.

That IMO and many may disagree. I think by looking at the reviews of the products as well as the threads on AGO site will give you a better grasp on what to choose. Either way, you can't go wrong the majority of the time.

MarkD51
02-15-2015, 02:18 PM
I myself thought much of Zaino's stuff was pretty good, albeit maybe a little pricey. Z2 is a good product, and about the only thing I can say I didn't like about it, was dependent upon weather conditions, I found it then more difficult to dry-haze, and to remove.

If you still like something like Zaino, as you liked the look, the type of product, etc, then maybe a product like Duragloss #111 pure sealant might just be right up your sidewalk! Very similar, less money, and available through most CARQUEST Auto Stores.

For polishes, tough to beat products like the Wolfgang Trio, like Uber Compound, Total Swirl Remover, and Finishing Glaze, they are all superb, and can easily restore that perfect show look to paint. No, not cheap products, but sometimes you do get what you pay for, and these will all produce world class results. If only narrowing it down to choosing two, then, I would say Uber Compound and Finishing Glaze. Uber on its own does finish down beautifully, and with just this one product can then go to Last Step Products (LSP) For the very last ounce of ultra high wet look gloss, the WG Finishing Glaze (which is actually an ultra fine polish, and not a Glaze) will get you there.

Waxes, Sealants, lke Wolfgang DGPS 3.0 is excellent, in fact I'd say superb, and so are products like Collinite #845 Insulator Wax, and Collinite #915 Marque de Elegance. Very high quality products they make, and also too, quite reasonable for what you get, how well they work and last, and how little you use per vehicle.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Griots DA, many like this unit, and like the idea of a lifetime warrantee. Pair it with a 5" LC Backing Plate, a good assortment of 4-5 LC 5.5" Flat Pads in each color, and you'll have the basis of mind blowing results.

Rsurfer
02-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Get your DA first and nail down your polishing steps. Having two black cars will take some time to find out what combinations will work for you. Sealants/waxes is the last step (LSP) and will only add a little to the final gloss. Because you have not polished your paint, you are now looking for something better than Zaino. You won't find it unless you polish (machine buff) first. If you did that, Zaino will look terrific.

Eric
02-15-2015, 03:49 PM
If you still like something like Zaino, as you liked the look, the type of product, etc, then maybe a product like Duragloss #111 pure sealant might just be right up your sidewalk! Very similar, less money, and available through most CARQUEST Auto Stores.

Excellent recommendation. #111 is a favorite of mine.

davidc
02-15-2015, 05:14 PM
Get your DA first and nail down your polishing steps. Having two black cars will take some time to find out what combinations will work for you. Sealants/waxes is the last step (LSP) and will only add a little to the final gloss. Because you have not polished your paint, you are now looking for something better than Zaino. You won't find it unless you polish (machine buff) first. If you did that, Zaino will look terrific.

I agree, it will be hard to find something better than Zaino, DG 111 with 601 maybe is as close as you may get. The main reason people wander from Zaino is financial but finding the looks and longevity does not come easy.

Dave

Nomadsto
02-15-2015, 05:21 PM
:iagree:
The Griots DA is a solid performer.
Wolfgang Uber or Menzerna FG400 (use light-med Polish pads)
Pinnacle black label Paint Coating or Garry Dean Infinite Diamond Shield (either is 2yr protection)
Garry Dean Infinite Use a Detail Juice for Rinseless washing & Quick Detailing

Klasse Act
02-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Duragloss is the answer📣

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

dlc95
02-15-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm another Duragloss 111 fan. It gets topped with Zymol Carbon or Creame waxes on the "special" cars.

I love Meguiars and Menzerna compounds an polishes. I haven't used the Menzerna enough to really experience it's full potential. As of right now though, I'm VERY impressed

FUNX650
02-15-2015, 07:10 PM
Factoring out their price-points...
If you're really wanting to "replace" the Zaino products you currently use; then, Duragloss' products are not the solution: Since their characteristics are said to be so similar---that would defeat the purpose of replacement, IMO.

You state you want a Polish, a Sealant, and (possibly) a
"layering-Wax". Here's my suggestions:
-Meguiar's M205
-Meguiar's M21 2.0
-Another application of M21 2.0 [just to ensure total coverage...no need to layer a Wax...(again: IMO)].

Bob