PDA

View Full Version : Need Leather care advice

Extreme Radiance
02-14-2015, 06:10 PM
A customer is bringing me a 2005 Escalade with black leather interior needing to be cleaned and conditioned.
I already use D180 on my own 2001 car with black leather.
I use a McCollugh 1275 steamer to clean the seats and then I apply D180.
I've noticed that I cannot tell D180 was applied after it drys.
Does this mean I need to apply another coat of D180?
How can I demonstrate to a customer that D180 was applied to the seats?

But I am wondering if I need something with better conditioning even if its not from Meguiars.

What do you guys recommend?
Thank you

Burns ST
02-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Many people swear by Leather Masters or CarPro Leather and Fabric coatings. I've been a big user of Gteqniq Leather Guard for a while but recently Ive been thinking of trying the CarPro Leather Coat, which from what I understand not the same as the Leather & Fabric product.

eaglefan
02-14-2015, 07:59 PM
Leather masters or Leatherique. I have found nothing comes close to those 2, for products. Steam is great also

brettS4
02-14-2015, 08:38 PM
I've recently done a lot of research on this for my 2001 leather seats. I found the same responses that have been given here. Leather Masters or Leatherique are high recommended among the detailing crowd. For non-detainers, two other products are popular. Bickmore products or Leather Honey. I could buy Bick 4 off the shelf locally so I thought I'd start there. But it's been way too cold for me to start working on my seats, so I have no first hand advice.

My understanding is that leather conditioner often takes a few days to soften up seats, and might require a few treatments if they are stiff. Some products will darken the leather at first, with the original color returning in a day or two. Black is hard to make an immediate impression because it hides the dirt and the color won't change much. I'd explain that to the customer up front. You might want to keep the used towels and show them to the client, or take photos of the process if you think they might question it.

Ebg18t
02-14-2015, 09:00 PM
I have used leather masters on my Audis for years. Leather still looks awesome. I am using the Ultima interior trim guard on my VW leather to try something different, so far it's been awesome.

Both make the leather softer and matte finish versus shinny like a lot of worn leather.

wdmaccord
02-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Usually when cars with leather come to me I show them the dirt and/or the shine and let them know that both mean dirty leather. I let them know that when I am finished, I expect the surface to look like there is nothing on it and the leather should look matte with no sheen.

Sometimes, before they leave, I will spot clean a shiny area that doesn't look dirty and show them what comes out onto the MF and show them the nice matte look of the leather when it's clean. From there I can put some protectant on the spot to show them the seats don't need to be shiny to be protected and what they should expect it to look like when I'm done.