PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar additions

Pages : [1] 2

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-13-2015, 04:53 PM
I know a few guys myself included will add vinegar to the rinse cycle when washing mf towels to help breakdown deposits from the water.

Has anyone tried adding vinegar to a rinseless wash if using water from the spigot to help break down deposits?

Kamakaz1961
02-13-2015, 05:03 PM
I have not used vinegar for the washing cycle or for rinseless wash. I have, however, used vinegar to remove hard water deposits from the paint. It works real well.

As for the other 2-things I have not.

Goin Rogue
02-13-2015, 05:48 PM
I have not used vinegar for the washing cycle or for rinseless wash. I have, however, used vinegar to remove hard water deposits from the paint. It works real well.

As for the other 2-things I have not.

Is there a ratio you use for removing deposits from paint and glass?

Ebg18t
02-13-2015, 05:56 PM

I use it 1:1

Kamakaz1961
02-13-2015, 06:00 PM

I have no ratio. I just will saturate a small rag and use white vinegar (I believe it is white) and wipe on and off with another MF towel. You will have to re-seal with sealant on the are you are removing water spots.

As for the windows I would assume it would be easier as you do not need to re-seal/wax.

It is real cheap too! I think its like $.60 at Walmart for a gallon.

glfnaz
02-13-2015, 06:07 PM
I've used it to remove water spots on my windows (only the windows). I did this because it does an excellent job of removing my hard water deposits in my shower doors.

Kamakaz1961
02-13-2015, 06:24 PM
One other thing you can use is cut a lemon in 1/2 and use the lemon as removing hard water deposits. I like the smell better too!! I have not tried it on paint just windows. I would be afraid of the car paint because the lemon is acidic.

builthatch
02-13-2015, 06:28 PM
people use weakened acid solutions to remove water spots from entire vehicles and windows. in fact some dealerships use similar solutions to prep their vehicles for new car prep.

i have no opinion on white vinegar (acetic acid) for water spots, but the mention of it on paint reminded me of the other acid stuff.

expdetailing
02-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Side note: Some waxes have vinegar in them. Why? I don't know.

FUNX650
02-13-2015, 07:11 PM
Has anyone tried adding vinegar to a rinseless wash if using water from the spigot to help break down deposits?
Interesting subject matter! :xyxthumbs:

Being acidic (pH 2.4)...I almost always use a splash of distilled white vinegar in the microfiber's rinse cycle. It's a natural water softener---breaks down mineral deposits.

It also is known to break down "soap scums".
Accordingly, {especially, IMO, due to this particular characteristic; (but, then again: I could be wrong)}:
I would not add vinegar to any "wash solution"...including rinseless-washes. I just know I never have before, done so.

Bob

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-14-2015, 07:24 AM
Interesting subject matter! :xyxthumbs:

Being acidic (pH 2.4)...I almost always use a splash of distilled white vinegar in the microfiber's rinse cycle. It's a natural water softener---breaks down mineral deposits.

It also is known to break down "soap scums".
Accordingly, {especially, IMO, due to this particular characteristic; (but, then again: I could be wrong)}:
I would not add vinegar to any "wash solution"...including rinseless-washes. I just know I never have before, done so.

Bob

Exactly my thoughts Bob. Being a natural water softener and using it in the rinse cycle is the best way to keep your towels fresh and clean.

I think I will press forward with adding a bit of vinegar to my rinseless washes. Especially in the 2nd bucket of fresh water.

How much would you propose that I add to 3-4 gallons?

FUNX650
02-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Exactly my thoughts Bob. Being a natural water softener and using it in the rinse cycle is the best way to keep your towels fresh and clean.

I think I will press forward with adding a bit of vinegar to my rinseless washes. Especially in the 2nd bucket of fresh water.

How much would you propose that I add to 3-4 gallons?
I usually add ~1 cup (~8oz) of vinegar to the
final rinse in the washing machine.

I'll say that computes to ~5oz for 4gal of water
in a rinse bucket...

Bob

DaveT435
02-14-2015, 09:26 AM
Actually ONR is supposed to soften the waster. It says to add I believe a half ounce to regular wash water to soften the water and help prevent mineral deposits... I Haven't read a bottle in quite a while...I assume that hasn't changed.

tpr1634
02-14-2015, 10:30 AM
I add a gallon of white distilled vinegar to the washer every so often to clean the build up left from washing microfiber towels.

PiPUK
02-14-2015, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't add it to another product without the agreement of manufacturer. I can tell you for fact that it will react with many products out there - you will basically end up making a cheap solution which is not a million miles away from what is used to de-ice aircraft. Even if you don't get an acid-base reaction, you have no idea how stable the product is when you bring the pH down. I would suggest that you are more likely to do harm than good. If you are really concerned about your water quality, it is inexpensive to get a pure water exchange cylinder which will last for ages with wash buckets. I would suggest that you could do your bucket fills for something like 50c. A small cost, really, and something that will almost certainly enhance any cleaner you are using rather than actually risking a diminishing of its performance.