PDA

View Full Version : Final product question

duckvett
02-13-2015, 12:46 AM
I have a challenge for the members. Our primary daily driver is a 2010 Malibu, Jewel Red. The Malibu and my GMC Sierra sit outside in the driveway all the time. We have a two-car garage, but that is reserved for the Corvette and `56 Chevy. Sitting outside it is subject to all the weather that the Pacific Northwest can throw at us - rain & snow in the winter, hot & dusty conditions in the summer. The question is: what to use as a final product that will protect from water spots, pollen and the baking effect of direct sunlight?
I need to clay-bar the entire car, polish with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and finish with a good wax/protectant. In the past I have used Meguiar's #21, #9 Yellow Wax, Gold Class Liquid Wax and NXT 2.0, but the water spots still form quickly.
Thanks for reading and for your recommendations.

:cheers:

kcochran0010
02-13-2015, 06:16 AM
No experience personally but I see a lot of praise about wolfgang and collinite products.

Ebg18t
02-13-2015, 06:44 AM
It sounds like you want a product that 'sheets' vs 'beads' water. Beads create water spots. On the sister PBMG site/forum I read a comparison that shows Optimum Opti-Seal did a better job sheeting than beading when compared to a few other products the poster was using. If you do a search there you will find a guy that put 4 different products on the hood of his Red dodge truck.

HateSwirls
02-13-2015, 07:18 AM
Tell you what I love now and it doesn't cost much.

Duragloss 601 and 105.

601 is a bonding agent that you first apply but don't remove it , polishes and cleans your paint for step two.
For step two apply a light coat of the 105 right over the 601, apply it to the entire car and buff off, very easy to work with.
It will protect your paint for a year.
It leaves the paint very shiny, do this on a well prepped car.
The 601 will remove any oils that may be on your clear, it's a glue so to speak.

It's my go to coating these day, love the combo:D
Give t a try.

Kevin

FUNX650
02-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Coming full-circle (again).

Meguiar's, at one time---seems so long, long ago now---tried going the non-beading approach. The buying-public, however, threw such a hissy fit that Meguiar's relented. (Sales had suffered enough!)

With that being said:
-It's going to be very difficult to find a
Wax or Sealant that's hydrophilic.
-I remember that some of the Coatings have/had the reputation of not being as hydrophobic as many Waxes/Sealants.
-But...as is par for the course: Enough people objected to this Coating characteristic so much that many were reformulated to either: bead water themselves; or allow for Wax/Sealant "topping".

Anyway:
-I'll suggest going the Sealant route.
-Remove any water ASAP!
-Over a period of time. the water-beading will begin...and then continue...to diminish.
-Water, then, will have a better chance of "sheeting". (Except on the flat horizontal surfaces, that is.)

Bob