PDA

View Full Version : Does Gtechniq C1 with EXOv2 offer any marring protection like opti-coat?

bmwgeek
02-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Does Gtechniq C1 with EXOv2 offer any marring protection like opti-coat? I just finished using Opti-coat 2.0 on another car but have a bottle of c1 and exov2 that I haven't opened yet. Was thinking to try that or buy gloss-coat. I need to coat a white audi and a white bmw. I do like the beading properties of the gtechniq products from youtube videos. Not many videos on gloss-coat.

RaskyR1
02-12-2015, 03:38 PM
C1 will but not so much with EXOv2. Still not a replacement for proper washing and drying. ;)

bmwgeek
02-12-2015, 03:51 PM
I was thinking using C1 then exov2 on top. Getting a lot of swirls from washing with ONR so wanted to coat it.

RaskyR1
02-12-2015, 04:53 PM
I was thinking using C1 then exov2 on top. Getting a lot of swirls from washing with ONR so wanted to coat it.

That's the recommendation I've seen posted from GTechniq on other forums for those wanting to use EXO but still have marr resistance.

You may also want to revisit your ONR process and maybe reach out to Chris at Opt to see if there is something you can improve on.

Chris Thomas
02-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Toppers can be good or bad depending on whether they attract dust and improve watershed angle. Opti Coat can prevent many products from adhering to the surface so it may be a good idea or it may be a waste you'll just have to try and see.

DaveT435
02-12-2015, 09:51 PM
I've used C1 and EXO on a few cars, one of them being an Acura. I've had no problems with marring or light scratching when washing. Using just EXO on my Camro pretty much eliminated these problems.

DaveT435
02-12-2015, 10:03 PM
As a matter of fact when I took the Acura in for service even after me repeatedly telling them not to wash the car they ran it through the swirl master. I closely inspected the vehicle and to my surprise no damage.

julius071
03-12-2015, 09:19 AM
As a matter of fact when I took the Acura in for service even after me repeatedly telling them not to wash the car they ran it through the swirl master. I closely inspected the vehicle and to my surprise no damage.

Amazing. Dealer took my car in for a wash last month even though I told them I just wanted vacuum and I'm needing a paint correction next month. Granted I coated my car with just C1 a year and half ago. How long ago did you apply your coating.

spiralout462
03-12-2015, 10:50 AM
I don't believe any of it! I would not trust any scratch resistant claims. I take the claimed hardness out of consideration when choosing an LSP.

JHL88
03-12-2015, 10:57 AM
I don't believe any of it! I would not trust any scratch resistant claims. I take the claimed hardness out of consideration when choosing an LSP.

agreed.

just because a coating offers "scratch resistance" shouldn't give someone an excuse to be lazy when it comes to correct maintenance habits.

Not saying anyone here would do it but I'm sure there are some people out there...

... and they get pissed when they see defects after using one of those brushes at the coin op or god forbid a non-brushless drive thru car wash.

DaveT435
03-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Amazing. Dealer took my car in for a wash last month even though I told them I just wanted vacuum and I'm needing a paint correction next month. Granted I coated my car with just C1 a year and half ago. How long ago did you apply your coating.

The coating on the Acura was only about 4 months old when they ran it through the wash. The Camaro I just re coated two days ago. The EXO was still performing but I didn't think it would make it through the summer. I also wanted to get the paint close to perfect. It had a few scratches, mostly from me being more careless washing because I knew I was going to be polishing it.