PDA

View Full Version : Window Deflectors

EscapeNow
03-09-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm thinking about getting window deflectors for my vehicle. I believe I have read where some are fastened by adhesive tape and some are just pushed up into the window channel?

Is there an advantage of one over the other?

Also, I have had some neck problems in the past, and I'm afraid these might make me bend my neck/head down too far, resulting in more neck problems. Do I lose much entry clearance by installing the window deflectors? I like have the windows open open as much as possible, and when it rains I just hate to close them up all the way.

Any insight would be appreciated.

ScottB
03-09-2006, 09:45 PM
One of my clients (day job) ordered them from us for his Caddy and Lincoln. Both fit up in channel with no tape of glue. He loves them. Dont know why/where they would effect neck as they are only about 2-3 inches from top of window pane. Got em in about two weeks, special order. Seem to remember they come in clear or tinted.

Matt
03-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Also, I have had some neck problems in the past, and I'm afraid these might make me bend my neck/head down too far, resulting in more neck problems. Do I lose much entry clearance by installing the window deflectors? I like have the windows open open as much as possible, and when it rains I just hate to close them up all the way.

:confused:

Are you climbing in through the window? :eek: :D

flatstick
03-10-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm thinking about getting window deflectors for my vehicle. I believe I have read where some are fastened by adhesive tape and some are just pushed up into the window channel?

I have the in- channel version in my Chvy TB and love them. they are great in the summer to let some heat escape from the truck. they are fantastic on those rainy days where you car fogs up on the inside, just crack the window and you are all set. hope this helped a little.

Meghan
03-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Weathertech makes great deflectors, they are the channel ones. I have them on my SUV and they are great. I would highly recommend them. For us Florida folks it is nice to crack your windows during the day to let that heat escape.:cool:

Mike T
03-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I have the Weathertech in-channel vents for the front windows on my Altima and I love them. Pretty simple to install and you don't have to worry about that tape.

EscapeNow
03-10-2006, 07:07 PM
I looked at the Weathertech in-channels and there is a dark tinted version, and the other one that is available didn't say anything about being tinted. Are these clear or lightly tinted? Also, what tint do you all recommend? Can you still see through the dark tinted?

Thanks for the input.

stingray
03-10-2006, 10:35 PM
I have these wind deflectors you speak of on another car and if there the kind that allow you to crank the window down a crack without getting lots of turbulence then no they really don't interfere with entry or exit. There is another kind of bug guard/rock guard you can have on your hood that deflects the above over your windshield.:cool:

ScottB
03-10-2006, 11:03 PM
I looked at the Weathertech in-channels and there is a dark tinted version, and the other one that is available didn't say anything about being tinted. Are these clear or lightly tinted? Also, what tint do you all recommend? Can you still see through the dark tinted?

Thanks for the input.

http://www.autogeek.net/macclimweat.html

top choice is almost clear, the bottoms with (D) in the order number are dark tinted. Having seen the tinted ones up close, thats what I would go with.

EscapeNow
03-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Can you see through the dark tinted ones?

ScottB
03-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Can you see through the dark tinted ones?

yes, just like tinted windows. But since they take up so little space, it really would not be a selling or discarding point. Really made simply to allow you to keep windows cracked, and coloring seems to have more to do with matching a cars appearance.

Benzmeister
03-15-2006, 02:57 PM

Benz C280. One advantage is you can keep the window open slighty when it is raining, I am a smoker so the smoke goes out the window. Even thou the 99 has a interior filtration system I always like to have a window cracked open even in winter, Also they shade the sun at certain times of the day. They help to de fog your windows faster as they balance the interior temp. I have the in channel by weathertech. They were a bit of work to install, you need to do it on a warm day. Weathertech sends you a complete set of instructions by the way, I only have the front windows shields. I saw their ad for the darker ones I am thinking of ordering a new set in the darker shade, as both of my cars are silver and I think the darker shade would look good. I never had any experience with the stick on. But if they use the 3M double back trim tape, (red cover over the tape) they will stay on forever if they are properly installed, again a warm day, clean the mounting surface with alcohol and use a hair dryer to warm up the area, the warmer it is the better that stuff sticks. I know they do not make many for frameless windows, as I tried to order a set for my 450SLC and they didn't have them. The customer service person I talked to, said they are developing shields for Hyundai and some other makes without frames or B pillars to the roof. Good investment IMHO. Lastly my C280 is the third car I have had Weathertech's for and none ever failed. Also their rubber floor mats are amazing, I very seldom use the OEM carpet mats for my C280 and eventually I am getting a set for my 450SLC

Benzmeister
03-15-2006, 03:01 PM
PS: I also have neck problems, and they have no effect at all. Please PM me for vendors name if an extended mirror is needed. I haven't turned my neck for the blind stop in over a year. I have one on order for my 450SLC, which is going on the passenger side as there is no blind spot on the driver's side. Pricey but very effective, and better the any I have bought in the auto parts stores.