PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose some new stuff :)

Pages : [1] 2

Steve4465
02-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Hey all, I was into detailing a few years back but lost the love for my old car and so I stopped detailing it and keeping it clean. I just bought a 2010 Acura TL and I love it! I live in Wisconsin where its been very cold recently, but hoping it will warm up soon, I just need a good starting point with some stuff. Could I get a some advice on some good products to start with?

I need a good wash mitt, some good soap, microfibers, and a good wax/sealant. I was looking at the Ammo Skin... any thoughts on that?

brettS4
02-12-2015, 03:02 PM
hey Steve.. welcome to AGO. Whereabouts in WI are you? What color is your car? That will affect what products we recommend (the color part, that is).

:welcome:

Steve4465
02-12-2015, 03:10 PM
I live in Waukesha county, this is not my car, but it is the same color
http://www.elementwheels.com/vehicleimages/acuratllexanir03.jpg

david b
02-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Hi Steve. Welcome to the forum. I'm in Wisconsin too and anxiously waiting for warmer weather so I can put some recently purchased Pinnacle detailing products from AGO to good use. Hard to go wrong with any of the product lines found here. Nothing against the corner auto parts place, but AG seems to have ALL of the products you need to get the job done. Happy detailing!

brettS4
02-12-2015, 03:54 PM
I'm in West Bend, but work in Menomonee Falls. Not far away.

There's one good thing about our weather.. it'll give you plenty of time to decide your detailing routine.

I haven't used it yet, but the wash mitt I chose is the CarPro wool mitt..

Merino wool wash mitt, auto wash mitt, sheepskin wash mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html)

There are a few current threads on microfibers. Just do a search and check out the links, or google the names. Same for soaps. I personally don't think there is any 'best' in those categories. But I would say you should consider getting a foam gun (used with hoses) or cannon (used with pressure washers).

And you'll have many options for waxes or sealants. Or both. They can be used individually or together. Sealants generally give a high shine and are pretty durable. Waxes don't last as long and give a deeper glow. Sealants usually highlight light colors best and waxes are preferred on darker colors. Your car is in the middle, so it's sort of a gray area... no pun intended. :)

VISITOR
02-12-2015, 05:15 PM
megs mf wash mitt and/or grout sponge, duragloss 902 (gallon), dozen cobra gold plush jr's, and some collinite 845/915. of course, you can buy more stuff as time goes by, but this would be an excellent start...

Steve4465
02-12-2015, 07:42 PM
So you recommend a MF wash mitt? I thought those were no good?

VISITOR
02-12-2015, 07:53 PM
So you recommend a MF wash mitt? I thought those were no good?

I've been using the megs mf wash mitt for a while now and it's held up very well. like anything else, one has to try it (or any product) out for themselves and decide if they personally like it or not. it's only $5-$6 and worth a try, if you don't like it you can delegate it to wheels or something...

irvsmith
02-12-2015, 07:58 PM
I can definitely vouch for the AMMO products. I have all but exclusively used Larry's products and been very impressed with the quality. They are not inexpensive but for me it has definitely been worth the price. I am also getting to see how strong the AMMO skin is recently because I have been sidelined due to an injury and cannot wash or polish the cars for the next few weeks. While I see spots and buildup during the week - when I take AMMO or Meguiar's detailing spray - all seems to come up fine. I was using AMMO skin as my LSP for a couple months and so I had built up a few layers.

Hope this helps.

swanicyouth
02-12-2015, 08:17 PM
Hey all, I was into detailing a few years back but lost the love for my old car and so I stopped detailing it and keeping it clean. I just bought a 2010 Acura TL and I love it! I live in Wisconsin where its been very cold recently, but hoping it will warm up soon, I just need a good starting point with some stuff. Could I get a some advice on some good products to start with?

I need a good wash mitt, some good soap, microfibers, and a good wax/sealant. I was looking at the Ammo Skin... any thoughts on that?

I have a thought. Skip Ammo. I'd go with Wolfgang or Pinnacle Black Label Sealant if you want to use a sealant. I have no idea if the Ammo stuff is any good, but you can get more information and help (if needed) on PBMG products here.

You likely can't do any of that with Ammo.

You can also order ALL the stuff you need from AG, get a free sample, get a great sale, mix and match brands, and get free shipping. Your also supporting the people that host this forum and make it possible.

conman1395
02-12-2015, 08:29 PM
If you're new to detailing, I'd suggest a microfiber mitt. It's too much of a hassle combing and taking care of a wool or sheepskin mitt.
Microfiber mitts are good as are grout sponges, but I'd say get the Meguiar's mitt. I've used it in my 2010 TSX, my former 2005 TL (RIP), a 2012 TL, a 2014 RLX, 2010 MDX, 2012 MDX, and a 2015 MDX. So yeah, my family has had a few Acuras.
DG 901/902 is a great soap and so is your OTC Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo and Conditioner.
Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant is easy to use and looks great. I'd suggest Collinite 845 or Duragloss 105, but you might want to spend the money for something "fancy" or "boutique". For some odd reason people like to do that, but BFWD is so easy to use and looks so good that I don't regret buying it for a second.
Microfibertech 360 towels and a pack of Costco microfiber towels for your interior and dirty areas.

spazzz
02-12-2015, 08:37 PM
You definitely want some kind of no rinse product right now.(after a spray-off at the self serve) Duragloss,Optimum or??

Sponge or chenille mitts...plural...ragco.chenilles are good and 5.50 each
Plus a couple of soft edgeless 16x16 microfibers(70/30 korean) for fine tuning
Plus a really nice drying waffle weave....I use a cobra guzzler and Megs D156 after a patient ONR bath this time of year.

Steve4465
02-12-2015, 09:52 PM
How are the Chemical guys microfibers? They seem to be pretty inexpensive. I cant spend a ton of money on towels right now

spazzz
02-12-2015, 10:01 PM
How are the Chemical guys microfibers? They seem to be pretty inexpensive. I cant spend a ton of money on towels right now

I have used them in 16x24 and 16x16. They are OK but wont last long.

conman1395
02-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Microfibertech 360 towels are affordable and you literally can do anything with them (I used them for everything on paint for a while). Buy as many as you can afford.