PDA

View Full Version : Just got a BigFoot! Need help.

Axrow
02-12-2015, 10:42 AM
Ive had a Flex 3401 for about 6 months, finally decided to get a BigFoot as well for large flat areas. I feel like I must be doing something wrong... I'm having the following issues...

I cannot use the foam pads without flinging compound EVERYWHERE. I put three little dots on the 7 inch pad, work it around on a low speed setting, then as soon as I crank it up the stuff just goes everywhere.

Also with the foam pads only about 3 inches of the 7 inch pad actually makes contact with the paint. If the panel has any curve to it, which almost all do, this is even less if you want to keep the pad spinning.

The microfiber pads are ok, they make more contact with the paint it seems but still dont seem to cut as well as the flex and are completely useless of the panel has any curve to it. I have the new UHS system too, but its the worst about flinging the product all over the car.

Has anyone else had these issues or am I doing something wrong?

Axrow
02-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Here's a picture of the pad vs the contact area...

http://rs35.pbsrc.com/albums/d186/bmwm3240/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0787_zps8e49026d.jpg~320x480

swanicyouth
02-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Some ideas:

1. 7" Rupes pads (designed for the Rupes 21), are too big for most modern cars IMHO. People seem to like the Rupes 21 and like to change the BP - but I just bought the 15 - which just seems like a better machine / better deal for a DIY'er on a modern car.

2. IME the Rupe's machines "loosen up" a bit after some use (pad spins better).

3. Spread the Rupes polish on speed 1 or 2 for a slow pass - then crank up the machine. It won't fling that way.

4. The machine requires little to no downward pressure - but if the pad is too big for the area it won't spin well - that is why they make a Rupe's Mini.

Kamakaz1961
02-12-2015, 12:50 PM
I am wondering why did you get the Rupes when you have the Flex 3401?

I am not too familiar with the Rupes as I am happy with the Flex 3401...but seeing this thread makes me feel that I have made the right choice.

Sorry for your pain.

John_k
02-12-2015, 03:28 PM
I am wondering why did you get the Rupes when you have the Flex 3401?

I am not too familiar with the Rupes as I am happy with the Flex 3401...but seeing this thread makes me feel that I have made the right choice.

Sorry for your pain.

Luxury item? I bought my flex knowing I was going to buy a few Rupes products as we'll.

To the OP, do some reading on Kevin Brown and Larry form AMMO NYC. Both heavily use Rupes products and offer plenty of advice on using them. Jump into AGO's buffer section and go through the Rupes forum. Most of your concerns can be answered there.