PDA

View Full Version : It Is Supose to Be 6 Degrees Saturday

Pages : [1] 2

Shredmonster
02-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Saturdays are my wash days. No drain in my garage......

So I am taking my vehicle to a coin-op to get grime and salt off. Wash and rinse.

Then I have to get out of the bay because people are waiting which means I have to dry outside.

So quick blow with leaf blower and dry with micro towels while I am freezing.

Anything else you guys can think of that I can do ?

Would you take it home and do a rinseless wash after this ?

Billy Baldone
02-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Where do you live?

wdmaccord
02-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Umm, first of all, I would absolutely not use a towel on a car that was only pressure washed. Do the pressure wash then go home and do a rinseless wash.

Shredmonster
02-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Really - no towel after pressure wash eh ? Didn't know that.

Yeah I suspected I would end up having to do a rinseless afterwards.

So Optimum No Rinse - is that what ONR that I see on this forum refers to ?

HateSwirls
02-11-2015, 07:11 PM
ONR is what you need at this point.
Using the wand wash and rinse off as much as you can.
Drive home
Bring car in your garage and enjoy you Saturday :D

KMdef9
02-11-2015, 07:49 PM
ONR is what you need at this point.
Using the wand wash and rinse off as much as you can.
Drive home
Bring car in your garage and enjoy you Saturday :D

This.

Buy yourself a nice space heater or 2.

wdmaccord
02-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Really - no towel after pressure wash eh ? Didn't know that.

100%. Pressure washing, even with the harsh soap they spit out, will not remove all the dirt and grime (road film) that sticks to the paint. If you towel afterwards, you will just be grinding that left over film into your paint.

If you have a sealant on your paint, I wouldn't use the soap either. Just HP rinse, maybe finish with spot free rinse if it's offered (just to keep from heavy spotting on the drive home), then to the garage for a rinseless. 6 degrees is tough though. I can't bring myself to do a RW in the garage unless it's at least 20+. Plus the water droplets from the HP rinse will freeze on your drive home, so it will have to sit for a while before you can RW.

Desertnate
02-12-2015, 10:26 AM
6 degrees is tough though. I can't bring myself to do a RW in the garage unless it's at least 20+. Plus the water droplets from the HP rinse will freeze on your drive home, so it will have to sit for a while before you can RW.

Agree. In my book, that is WAY to cold to try washing. I won't even attempt a wash if temps are below freezing. I don't want water freezing in areas that could cause problems. I've also found the cleaning products don't perform as they should when the temps approach freezing.

As much as it pains me to have a dirty car, I just deal with it in the winter and wait for the temps to rise to a usable level...for me it's around freezing. Even then, I just run the car though a touchless wash.

wdmaccord
02-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Agree. In my book, that is WAY to cold to try washing. I won't even attempt a wash if temps are below freezing. I don't want water freezing in areas that could cause problems. I've also found the cleaning products don't perform as they should when the temps approach freezing.

As much as it pains me to have a dirty car, I just deal with it in the winter and wait for the temps to rise to a usable level...for me it's around freezing. Even then, I just run the car though a touchless wash.

Agree, even with hot water in the RW bucket, my hands still get way cold between trips to the bucket. Plus, like you said, the products don't work as well. It's tougher to get the RW dried without streaking. Between Dec - Mar I probably do about 10-12 touchless washes and my Coll 845 seems to hold through that many, so I feel okay about using that harsh soap. Better than salt sitting on the car for too long a time.

NYV6Coupe
02-12-2015, 10:59 AM
N6* is way too cold for a bucket wash, water will freeze before you can grab anything to blot it off or blow it off.

when I do a bucket wash at < 32* I wear a pair of dishwashing gloves (the yellow ones) & use warm-to-hot water to wash & rinse because it cools so quickly. It'll save your hands & be a lot less painful.

High pressure wand wash (rinse only,no soap) does a good job on removing ice, snow & krap from the wheelwells & under carriage but it won't touch the greasy dirt & gritty junk on your paint.

yellosuzku
02-12-2015, 11:06 AM
At that temperature the water will probably freeze on contact with the sheet metal. I know when I rinse my truck even in the 20's lots of the water freezes on contact. The coin-ops I go to have heated water which does freeze faster. One place if it gets much colder than that just shuts their doors so no rinsing that day! Which sucks because when it's that cold the roads are frozen so no salt spray!

Klasse Act
02-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Umm, first of all, I would absolutely not use a towel on a car that was only pressure washed. Do the pressure wash then go home and do a rinseless wash.
I couldn't agree more[emoji362]

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Black Bowtie
02-12-2015, 01:37 PM
If your coin-op has doors that close, which the one I go to does, I fill my two buckets at home and go later at night so no one is waiting behind me. I do a two bucket wash and dry right in their bay. This winter most night I go it has been in the single or low double digits with the windchills some time in the negitive numbers. :(

Shredmonster
02-12-2015, 04:21 PM
If your coin-op has doors that close, which the one I go to does, I fill my two buckets at home and go later at night so no one is waiting behind me. I do a two bucket wash and dry right in their bay. This winter most night I go it has been in the single or low double digits with the windchills some time in the negitive numbers. :(

Yeah this is one of the options I am considering. I have one of these 5 minutes away from where I work.

LaTuFu
02-12-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm surprised there is a self serve wash open when it is that cold. I guess maybe they insulate the pipes more further north.

Where I live, most of the car washes just close down when it is really cold because the pipes freeze.