PDA

View Full Version : headlight sealants that actually last longer then 1 year?

Pages : [1] 2

jeff79
02-11-2015, 01:26 AM
I have ran a small headlight restoration business for a little over a year now. I gotten a great response from the public and have a very very good system for restoring the plastic to like-new condition in around 30-45min, even for the worst lights. The only problem i have is the sealant/clear coat.

I have been searching literally day and night for a sealant/clear coat that i can apply to the lights and feel confident giving a one year warranty. ive done over 400 hundred lights over the past year and i can def say customers are willing to pay a premium price(extra $30-40) even for a one year warranty rather then basic wax/polish method.

I was using the spar/OMS method for the first 6 months but had to find a sealer when i started receiving complaints regarding the longevity after 5-7 months. i had about 10-15 re dues out of about 150 lights(which isnt bad but not good enough.) After 6 months i started using glaswelds GClear, despite spending $90 for a 16ounce bottle(38 cars) i received 4 complaints regarding the longevity.

Once again i am searching for a new sealant coating to use. If anyone has any ideas on a sealant(preferably liquid) that will actually last longer then 1 year please let me know. I am willing to invest a premium price on a quality sealant/clear coat that i can feel safe attaching a 1 year warranty too.

* yes i have read all about opti-coat/lens on multiple forums/threads with a mixed review. Many claimed it didnt last the year mark.

Please let me know. would also be happy to answer any questions.

builthatch
02-11-2015, 01:34 AM
opti-lens is your best overall bet, hands down.

if anyone has any issues, it's a prep problem or installation issue.

jeff79
02-11-2015, 01:40 AM
opti-lens is your best overall bet, hands down.

if anyone has any issues, it's a prep problem or installation issue.

are you a consumer of opti lens or a rep? i only ask becuase that is all anyone seems to rave about on here for some reason. on autopia(and even on here) many claimed the spar/oms lasted longer the opti lens in some cases but i would be willing to give it a shot since i havent yet(and have nothing else to loose at this point)

what kind of prep issues or installation issues could arise and how many cars can i service with only 10cc? i would need each car to be under $3 for the sealant in order to stay in business.

Ebg18t
02-11-2015, 06:09 AM
are you a consumer of opti lens or a rep? i only ask becuase that is all anyone seems to rave about on here for some reason. on autopia(and even on here) many claimed the spar/oms lasted longer the opti lens in some cases but i would be willing to give it a shot since i havent yet(and have nothing else to loose at this point)

what kind of prep issues or installation issues could arise and how many cars can i service with only 10cc? i would need each car to be under $3 for the sealant in order to stay in business.

It does last in excess of a year. But it will cost more than $3 an application. I have used it on several cars with excellent results. With a lot of these coatings the prep is key; but nothing that inspection and IPA can't fix.

HateSwirls
02-11-2015, 07:06 AM
I use Wolfgang Glossy Paint Sealant.
It won't last a year but does last a long time, one bottle would last you a very long time being how little you need to use, also makes the plastic shine.
That's what I use most of the time.

FUNX650
02-11-2015, 07:12 AM
ValuGard's NiteBrite Headlight Restoration System uses
a Clear (UV-cured) that'll last longer than a year.

Bob

builthatch
02-11-2015, 12:38 PM

nah, someone like Chris Thomas could be considered a rep. i'm a consumer but contribute to OPT where i can because Dr. G makes really solid stuff that has made my detailing life so much easier and efficient.

Opti-Lens is made specifically for what you are doing. it's made to handle the UV load and bond particularly to polycarbonate.

but it's definitely all in the prep.

as far as cost, imo even if you pay full retail at $60, i think you could get at least 20 sets of lights even if you are doing two coats. the main point of all the Optimum coating products is that a little goes a long way, so it's best imo to carefully apply a coat, review your process to make sure that you aren't wasting product my making one huge high spot that you just have to level out aggressively with a towel (hence removing product and possible compromising your layer). then, once that layer starts to cure, apply a second layer being just as careful as the first.

another thing to consider is that, for instance, the OPT Hyper compound and polish are compatible with coatings, so if you were to use those to remove your sanding marks and refine the lens, then wipe with IPA, you'd assure yourself a perfectly clean surface for coating installation, because when using the Hyper stuff you techincally don't need more than a damp MF wipe to remove residue then assure the surface is dry prior to installation.

Jaretr1
02-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Carpro Dlux lasts quite a while, at least a year if not longer.

builthatch
02-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Carpro Dlux lasts quite a while, at least a year if not longer.

i'll say this about my experience with Dlux...

alkaline cleaner and scrubbing with MF removed it after several months of installation. it took a lot of elbow grease and full strength OPC, but it definitely came off.

that's not happening with Opti-Lens imo. it's a lot tougher and i think you'd have to rely on actual abrasion to remove it.

i think Dlux can work well for certain uses, but imo it's not on headlights.

headlights in particular are not only super duper exposed to UV but also road wash, that is the little bits of dirt and such that constantly bombards leading surfaces of cars.

octane
02-11-2015, 12:53 PM
I've been using Opti lens since it came out, (more than a year ago) and results are still good! it really doesn't take that much, 20-30 cars per syringe is totally posible

MattPersman
02-11-2015, 12:55 PM
I am just throwing it out there but what about automotive clear coat paint shot with a touch up gun. They make it in rattle cans too like Eastwood sells but I imagine buying gallons of clear and spraying yourself would be cheaper per application

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUNX650
02-11-2015, 01:07 PM
I am just throwing it out there but what about automotive clear coat paint shot with a touch up gun. They make it in rattle cans too like Eastwood sells but I imagine buying gallons of clear and spraying yourself would be cheaper per application

Here you go:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/34259-understanding-headlamp-repair.html

Bob

SameGuy
02-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Rattle cans are probably the cheaper or more reasonable alternative for "small business" (as per the OP), but can be a bear because of the extra prep and protection of nearby surfaces. Doing it outdoors on dealer lots might be a no-go at all. In my opinion, a WOWA solution is still the best but it comes down to the prep work. For a sideline business to make a reasonable profit on the supplies and time invested, the steps need to be cut way down -- it shouldn't take an hour or more per headlight as is the case with all the suggestions to sand then compound then refine and polish before coating. I can clean, mask, sand from 320 to 3000, wipe, clear, cure and clean up a pair of normal headlamps in about an hour...

But as the OP asks, it remains to be seen whether Gclear is the answer. I've been using it about four months on a dozen cars and the first car -- which had by far the worst headlamps -- still looks great after 10,000 miles in extreme weather and being outdoors 24/7. Others here do many headlamp sets a week with it and report no issues; again, just my opinion, it comes down to technique. I know I messed up one lens, and one other looks somewhat less than perfect because I didn't sand off enough of the OE coating. But the rest look new and I am hopeful and confident that they will last well over a year if not several years.

jeff79
02-12-2015, 12:33 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkfrom what ive read that seems like a that is solid answer for insuring a warranty but spraying a 2k clear catalyst and hardener 20+ times a week will fuk up your health if your not properly prepared with a spray booth, heavy duty respirator, gear. ive read inhaling even small amounts of that stuff will kill you quicker then crack. not sure how much truth there is to any of that but as a mobile guy w/out any professional training, id rather not find out. My health is way more important to me then the business. This is why im so set on finding a liquid sealant because i don't like the mess of spraying and the health hazard of possibly inhaling aerosol clear coats 20x a week even with a respirator.

You are definitely right though as that is probably the best option for keeping the lights clear for years but remember i only need them to stay clear for a year. there has got to be an affordable liquid sealant for this.

jeff79
02-12-2015, 12:50 AM
Rattle cans are probably the cheaper or more reasonable alternative for "small business" (as per the OP), but can be a bear because of the extra prep and protection of nearby surfaces. Doing it outdoors on dealer lots might be a no-go at all. In my opinion, a WOWA solution is still the best but it comes down to the prep work. For a sideline business to make a reasonable profit on the supplies and time invested, the steps need to be cut way down -- it shouldn't take an hour or more per headlight as is the case with all the suggestions to sand then compound then refine and polish before coating. I can clean, mask, sand from 320 to 3000, wipe, clear, cure and clean up a pair of normal headlamps in about an hour...

But as the OP asks, it remains to be seen whether Gclear is the answer. I've been using it about four months on a dozen cars and the first car -- which had by far the worst headlamps -- still looks great after 10,000 miles in extreme weather and being outdoors 24/7. Others here do many headlamp sets a week with it and report no issues; again, just my opinion, it comes down to technique. I know I messed up one lens, and one other looks somewhat less than perfect because I didn't sand off enough of the OE coating. But the rest look new and I am hopeful and confident that they will last well over a year if not several years.i agree spraying is no good as a mobile guy for many reasons. Also the sanding usually goes very quick for me as well when i use the drill. On average, the time from start to finish is 30-40 minutes(starting and ending prep included) and the lights almost always look new/completely clear. a few times the lights were so bad even a 320 would remove the damage but this has happened about 3 or 4 out of 400 cars.

i think the gclear is good but i dont think its likely that it will last anywhere near a year. i got a light from a junkyard and keep it outside and after 5 months its starting to get relatively cloudy again. it def doesnt look as good as it did the first month i put on the glclear. maybe they look better for you since youre using the curing lamp while im just letting the sunlight cure them.. who knows.

also i think its best to stop at 1500 as the gclear ALWAYS fills in the scratches. ive read clear coats will adhere much better to surfaces that are slightly tacky.

also your applying only one coat right?