PDA

View Full Version : NOTHING will protect this Accord!

Pages : [1] 2 3

4bidden
02-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Alright guys, I'm really scratching my head here and need some input.

My fiance purchased a pearl white 2014 Accord EX-L V6 new off the lot about a year ago. She loves it and loves that I told her i'd take care of it for her. Sadly, however, I appear incompetent at doing my job!

To make a long story short I have tried various products - BFWD, BFMS, OC 2.0 (test on hood), and NONE have lasted more than one wash on the car. Before each product I fully decontaminated with Iron X and/or clay (this white shows TONS of iron!) and used Eraser before application. Sometimes with additional wash downs in between those steps. So I don't think the issue is in the prep.

The car is stored outside 24/7, so I fully expect to not have as much longevity for the products, but more than a week or so would be nice. It's almost like the clear coat just resists anything that is put on it. Even the next wash after applying a protectant there is a lot of hard washing I have to do to get all of the various crap off of the surface and most all beading/sheeting is gone. And that's the very next wash!

What should I try next? Should I go over the entire car with a polish like SF4000 and then Eraser and try again with BFWD?

Side note: I also maintain my Tundra and do not have this same situation at all. The BFWD lasts for a length of time that is appropriate and acceptable for being stored outside 24/7.

RPM_BR
02-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Alright guys, I'm really scratching my head here and need some input.

My fiance purchased a pearl white 2014 Accord EX-L V6 new off the lot about a year ago. She loves it and loves that I told her i'd take care of it for her. Sadly, however, I appear incompetent at doing my job!

To make a long story short I have tried various products - BFWD, BFMS, OC 2.0 (test on hood), and NONE have lasted more than one wash on the car. Before each product I fully decontaminated with Iron X and/or clay (this white shows TONS of iron!) and used Eraser before application. Sometimes with additional wash downs in between those steps. So I don't think the issue is in the prep.

The car is stored outside 24/7, so I fully expect to not have as much longevity for the products, but more than a week or so would be nice. It's almost like the clear coat just resists anything that is put on it. Even the next wash after applying a protectant there is a lot of hard washing I have to do to get all of the various crap off of the surface and most all beading/sheeting is gone. And that's the very next wash!

What should I try next? Should I go over the entire car with a polish like SF4000 and then Eraser and try again with BFWD?

Side note: I also maintain my Tundra and do not have this same situation at all. The BFWD lasts for a length of time that is appropriate and acceptable for being stored outside 24/7.

Maybe it is time for you trying to coat the car. Pinnacle Black Label or CQuartzUK, perhaps? Yes, SF4000 on a black foam before and Eraser.There is also Duragloss Enviroshield, but PBL lasts longer, imho.

4bidden
02-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Since I already tried out OC2.0 on the hood with pretty much the same results I'm not sure I want to throw money at more products in hope of them working. There's no good reason why these other products are not staying on the car.

Vegas Transplant
02-10-2015, 02:18 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/67426-best-paint-cleaner-opti-coat.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/51932-another-opti-coat-thread-why-does-my-roof-bead-different.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/77613-thinking-trying-ironx-revive-opticoat-have-questions.html

ousooner2
02-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Just a thought here, but some of these Honda dealers will put some sort of paint protection or film on the car. Not 100% sure what they're using. Is it possible that it has something like that on there and that's why it's not sticking? Did you buy it new? Have you done a complete wash with dawn or whatever your choice is to strip everything off the clear?

I just picked up my white '15 exl v6 sedan a week or so ago, so I haven't had time to mess with it yet or I'd help you out with my experiences. Mine is garaged at home and at work so it's a little different too

ousooner2
02-10-2015, 02:25 PM
What soap are you using?

4bidden
02-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Just a thought here, but some of these Honda dealers will put some sort of paint protection or film on the car. Not 100% sure what they're using. Is it possible that it has something like that on there and that's why it's not sticking? Did you buy it new? Have you done a complete wash with dawn or whatever your choice is to strip everything off the clear?

This is one of the only things that I can think of ... but whatever possible 'film' may be on it must not be for protection since water sticks to the paint and does not sheet or bead at all. This is why I asked if I should try a light polish before my next attempt. Nothing I can see makes me think theres anything left on the clear, but I'm running out of things to try.

4bidden
02-10-2015, 02:27 PM
What soap are you using?

D111 most of the time for maintenance washes using 2BM. CG citrus before trying something new, sometimes with a tad of CG AC+ mixed in.

Heisenberg
02-10-2015, 02:28 PM
What soap are you using?

This is important to know. A lot of soaps and shampoos have additives that mask beading and sheeting properties of many LSPs. CG Citrus Wash and Gloss is one that comes to mind. Made a week-old application of Powerlock look like it was on its last leg until I rewashed it.

Kamakaz1961
02-10-2015, 02:28 PM
My buddies 2013 Honda Accord Coupe is Pearl White (assuming same color) and I put on a sealant on top of a wax. No issues at all. I do not know your entire situation but maybe a sealant and a wax. I was going to say a coating but it appears you have not had great luck.

I hope this is some help

4bidden
02-10-2015, 02:36 PM
My buddies 2013 Honda Accord Coupe is Pearl White (assuming same color) and I put on a sealant on top of a wax. No issues at all. I do not know your entire situation but maybe a sealant and a wax. I was going to say a coating but it appears you have not had great luck.

I hope this is some help

Had that Accord ever been polished at all? What region are you in?

Kamakaz1961
02-10-2015, 02:47 PM
I live in Southern California. The weather here is great. The typical two-step compound and polish. I use Menzerna FG400 and SF4500. Honda paint is soft. It is really easy to work on.

Ebg18t
02-10-2015, 02:55 PM
My guess is there is something still on the paint keeping your applications from sticking.

I can't think of anything else that would keep all those different products from holding up.

4bidden
02-10-2015, 02:59 PM
I live in Southern California. The weather here is great. The typical two-step compound and polish. I use Menzerna FG400 and SF4500. Honda paint is soft. It is really easy to work on.

I'm right by you in Newport Beach.

I definitely don't see any need to use FG400 on this car, but I am considering going over it with SF4000 depending on what others have to say.

Setec Astronomy
02-10-2015, 03:10 PM
I live in Southern California.

I'm right by you in Newport Beach.

Sounds like a member meet-up is in order--let's get this problem solved!