PDA

View Full Version : Removing Dealer Label

Shredmonster
02-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Told dealer not to put label on my new vehicle and they did it anyway.

Over on the Wrangler forum they said to take a hairdryer and peel it off with my fingernails.

Then run WD40 over it, then wash that off then put wax over it.

Would this be correct or is there a better way of doing it ?

JMP
02-10-2015, 11:16 AM
NYAMMO has a great "how to" video for this situation...good luck

Sherif
02-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Hair dryer (or depending on weather conditions where you live, leave it in sunlight for couple hours) and use goo gone to help removing the adhesive while you peel it off..
Then wash and seal/wax..

ZimRandy
02-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Stickers come off easy with some heat (and badges, too, if they aren't stuck on too bad). Be careful with fingernails, as they can scratch also. I've used fishing line to saw through the double sided tape on some badges.

One of my customers requested their be no dealer sticker or badge on his new black dually crew cab ($56k truck).

They put one on...then remembered he didn't want it, so guess what they did? Used a screwdriver to pry it off and then brushed touch-up paint into all the scratches. :eek:

He sent the truck right to me for Opti Coat and I got to make the phone call to tell him his brand new truck tailgate had a handful of scratches that were filled with touch-up paint.

:bat:

Armed with that information, he was able to get some truck accessories for basically nothing.

Randy

MarkD51
02-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Stickers come off easy with some heat (and badges, too, if they aren't stuck on too bad). Be careful with fingernails, as they can scratch also. I've used fishing line to saw through the double sided tape on some badges.

One of my customers requested their be no dealer sticker or badge on his new black dually crew cab ($56k truck).

They put one on...then remembered he didn't want it, so guess what they did? Used a screwdriver to pry it off and then brushed touch-up paint into all the scratches. :eek:

He sent the truck right to me for Opti Coat and I got to make the phone call to tell him his brand new truck tailgate had a handful of scratches that were filled with touch-up paint.

:bat:

Armed with that information, he was able to get some truck accessories for basically nothing.

Randy

Unbelieveale!
An old saying comes to mind after reading this, "Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them"!

If it were me, I probably would've pressed them for another brand new truck, and told em to stick that one where the sun don't shine.

cardaddy
02-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Unbelieveale!
An old saying comes to mind after reading this, "Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them"!

If it were me, I probably would've pressed them for another brand new truck, and told em to stick that one where the sun don't shine.

DITTO!:iagree:
Perhaps we should have an annual 'thinning of the heard'. :laughing:

Back to the tailgate:
Or at the very least, had them remove a tailgate from another truck in exchange.

2black1s
02-11-2015, 02:07 AM
... If it were me, I probably would've pressed them for another brand new truck, and told em to stick that one where the sun don't shine.

Or at least a tailgate off another brand new truck of the same color.

I got a dealer to do that for me one time. It was on a black Pontiac Solstice GXP. The deck lid had some sheet metal defects around the two nacelles. Not dents or anything, but some radii that were not smooth with some slight creases that shouldn't have been there. Anyways, they swapped out the deck lid with a lid from the next black Solstice they got in. They even let me help with and direct the swap out.

Then the donor car got a replacement deck lid painted in their body shop.

brettS4
02-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Not all dealers are complete tools. When I bought a black A4 (that was actually very well detailed by the dealership) they told me that they chose not to put a dealership decal on it because they figured I was the kind of guy that would refuse it. And the car looked so good they didn't want to mess it up. I've seen many other Audis from the same dealership with decals, so I know they weren't BS'ing me.

I've heard dental floss works well as a saw, too. But fishing line might be safer for the paint.

Jaretr1
02-11-2015, 10:05 AM
I have usually been able to remove stickers like this or pin stripes with just my fingernails. My dad recently bought a new Accord and it came with vinyl pinstripes. They looked like they had been applied by a blind man. They didnt follow the natural body line or the window line (so I guess a blind man could have done better, blind person, no need to discriminate based on gender). I just peeled them off quite easily using my finger nails. Where there was residue a little cleaner wax got it off with no problem. No scratches were applied in the removal process.